Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Cheese

Wey Navigation at Guildford

Featured Posts

Without the hole in the bank being fixed boats can't navigate the whole stretch from Millmead to St Catherine's. Doubt the rowing club can do anything either so will be lots of pressure to get it fixed. The towpath there is very popular too.

5 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I know there are sluices near there but looking at the video I'm not convinced that was one of them - the ones I remember have big structures operated from the footbridge

Which have actuators and telemetry on them.

5 hours ago, Cheese said:

What happens if the council decide they are not bothered about replacing it,

From my time living in that area, I recall Guildford Borough Council to be quite savvy in regards to the importance of leisure to the area (they never sold off their very lucrative leisure complex, as they appreciated the long term worth to the coffers), so I expect they will act quickly...

Updates to the status of this stoppage are here. They are not on the standard National Trust website because that website wasn't, at the time, considered suitable to take regular operational updates so the Wordpress site was started.

The latest update is from 05-Nov as follows:

Navigation remains closed between Millmead and St. Catherine’s Locks while the National Trust and Guildford Borough Council continue to work together to restore the water levels.  The towpath is closed between Millmead Lock and upstream side of weir.  A short signed diversion via the footpath along A281 is in place.

Was passing Guildford, so stopped to see what is happening.  Unfortunately didn't have a a camera with me.

There is a team from River & Canal Services on site, with a large crane in the adjacent offside car park lifting in ton bags of stones.  I think the original plan was to create a coffer dam in the river to isolate the collapse and create a dry worksite, but apparently the flow was too strong.  They now appear to have wedged the former footbridge across the gap,and are placing the bags against the bridge directly in the gap, so they are held there by the force of the water.  Once the dam is in place and sealed the navigation can be rewatered, so avoiding any problems from clay drying out or banks collapsing.  (There are two other weirs / sluices between the collapse and the lock to take the flow, and if necessary they could partially open the lock sluices).

Once rewatered then at some later stage (currently indeterminate) they can get a barge in adjacent to the collapse, to start putting in steel pilings for a new weir, and reinstate the towpath.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Was passing Guildford, so stopped to see what is happening.  Unfortunately didn't have a a camera with me.

There is a team from River & Canal Services on site, with a large crane in the adjacent offside car park lifting in ton bags of stones.  I think the original plan was to create a coffer dam in the river to isolate the collapse and create a dry worksite, but apparently the flow was too strong.  They now appear to have wedged the former footbridge across the gap,and are placing the bags against the bridge directly in the gap, so they are held there by the force of the water.  Once the dam is in place and sealed the navigation can be rewatered, so avoiding any problems from clay drying out or banks collapsing.  (There are two other weirs / sluices between the collapse and the lock to take the flow, and if necessary they could partially open the lock sluices).

Once rewatered then at some later stage (currently indeterminate) they can get a barge in adjacent to the collapse, to start putting in steel pilings for a new weir, and reinstate the towpath.

That's all good news.  River & Canal Services is a friend of mine, Rob Locatelli. I have no doubt at all he will do an excellent job. I am impressed with the speed of getting it done.

Thank you, all very interesting.

Some links with a fascinating talk I went to last night by John Pomfret about the Chelmer and Blackwater. Lots of debate with a wide variety of parties about who a) owns and b) maintains c) would be affected by the failure of a variety of sluices, culverts, flood gates and so on.  Not straightforward! 

I also asked when a narrowboat had last visited by water - he thought not since 2001  http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_01/Medplus8.html

3 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Some links with a fascinating talk I went to last night by John Pomfret about the Chelmer and Blackwater. Lots of debate with a wide variety of parties about who a) owns and b) maintains c) would be affected by the failure of a variety of sluices, culverts, flood gates and so on.  Not straightforward! 

I also asked when a narrowboat had last visited by water - he thought not since 2001  http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_01/Medplus8.html

We were eying up drilling and installing some pipes under that canal last year. In the end a cheaper solution found. Would have compensated the owners for the easement.

4 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Is this your next years project?

34 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Is this your next years project?

Not for 2020 - something else is being planned.  It was quite tempting when we came back from the Medway in 2016 - somewhere off in the distance behind the NORE SWATCH buoy.

spacer.png