Wey Navigation at Guildford

Cheese

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, mark99 said:

A peace decends in the meadows...... from the shouty rowers.  ;)

You mean the rowers that grimace at you when there passing, just because your there?

2 minutes ago, nipper said:

You mean the rowers that grimace at you when there passing, just because your there?

The Guildford Rowers - nothing against them but they are shouty when training hard!  :)

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

Yikes! I went up the Wey to Godalming and back last month delivering solid fuels with the NBT, and while several things did happen to delay us, this wasn't included. Hopefully they'll find a way to rebuild that bank to restore navigation above Guildford, and well before the NBT wants to return, which isn't until next October. I suppose the Farncombe boats will have to concentrate on day hire for a while, and the available stretch is rather short even for that.

6 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Yikes! I went up the Wey to Godalming and back last month delivering solid fuels with the NBT, and while several things did happen to delay us, this wasn't included. Hopefully they'll find a way to rebuild that bank to restore navigation above Guildford, and well before the NBT wants to return, which isn't until next October. I suppose the Farncombe boats will have to concentrate on day hire for a while, and the available stretch is rather short even for that.

They need to borrow one of those scafolding-and-tarpaulin portable dams from CRT. That will both restore the level and give a dry working area for the rebuild.

MP.

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

... Hopefully they'll find a way to rebuild that bank to restore navigation above Guildford, ....

It wasn't just a bank.  There were substantial sluices underneath the bridge - which are presumably now somewhere in the bottom of the weir pool ...

3 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

They need to borrow one of those scafolding-and-tarpaulin portable dams from CRT. That will both restore the level and give a dry working area for the rebuild.

MP.

CRT don't own them, they are supplied and installed by a contractor:

https://onsite.co.uk/capability/portadam/

Tim

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

......anything useful any more.

It’s a well known fact (!) that they don’t need to own anything, just sell off assets for a one off payment, then hope to not need to hire it all back again until the inevitable happens. It’s been going on since the early 80s and it still isn’t a good way to run anything, unless one is a shareholder in a company that has bought the assets cheaply.

Greetings from France, where they haven’t done that, yet.

I think you are right.  Having now seen the video in this article it looks as though the part with the sluices is still there, immediately north of the collapsed weir.    My mistake - sorry!

I see the National Trust, as Navigation owner, claim the council owned the missing bank/weir so should pay for the repair.  What happens if the council decide they are not bothered about replacing it, given that the river seems to be flowing though the gap quite happily?  It primarily kept the water level high enough for boats to access the lock year round, with perhaps a secondary purpose in winter to help divert excess water into the meadows and so reduce the risk of flooding in the town.  The council might not do anything for 6 months, which would allow the clay to dry out etc  ?