Abingdon - boat adrift, tied up by passers-by

Sir Percy

Featured Posts

So walking to the pub with my partner and we shall a boat floating sideways down the river, two other blokes had already phoned 999 but they didn't seem to believe us. Thankfully the boat floated close enough to the bank to allow us to jump on and tie it up but further calls to 101 proved fruitless (the bloak who called was quite wasted. It's tied up in a no mooring place but I don't trust my skill in knots to trust it'll remain.

Who the hell do I call to sort this out?

Edit we're e in Oxfordshire

Photo

Post on Reddit:

We've just stopped a boat that was floating Down the river Thames. Who the hell do we call?

Just now, Sir Percy said:

Ah, it wasn't me. I've just put it out here.

Ohh, ok I dont even know what reddit is I dont do Farcebook or twatter or any of that stuff. If its tied up whoever has done their best then :cheers:

59 minutes ago, smiler said:

So, the hirer could have been at church

Indeed, he could have been looking at the alms houses instead or the junction with the Wilts & Berks canal, but the probability of those is quite low.....

Good job someone rescued that boat, because a few miles downstream from Abingdon is the tight corner into the lock cut for Culham Lock. I'd expect that a boat going that way adrift would instead be pushed by the current past the DANGER sign towards the weir, especially as the Thames has had a lot of water flowing down it recently.

Whoever got aboard it may have had their work cut out getting it to safety if they couldn't start the engine; it would depend on whether they could get near enough to a bank to get a rope around something, and that in turn would depend on either getting help from another boat, or on having a pole and knowing how to use it; not simple.

To reunite the boat with its owner, I'd expect CRT would help if it has a CRT registration number, even though it's on EA waters. Otherwise I'm not sure what EA could do; do those window stickers they issue to registered vessels have some serial number that makes them traceable? I think the lock keeper does note the boat name when issuing one, so that may help.