Replacing Cruiser Stern Cockpit Boards

Featured Posts

Hi everyone noticed the Cockpit Boards in the cruiser stern over the engine bay are starting to feel a little bit weak and need replacing. Now I presume this has to either be done with marine ply or osb3 but I presume as they will be subjected to the elements they will need to be coated treated painted etc but with what abd how Im more used to dealing with saltwater elements. 

Somebody mentioned another option of using diamond cut is this viable.obviously I need access under all boards so they cannot be welded on ?

If you can get it Wisa form film faced birch ply is probably the best. You can get it with a smooth or with a patterned face. We used it for concrete moulds and it’s used for truck floors etc. Avoid the far eastern stuff the ply core is often very soft.

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling

17 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

If you can get it Wisa form film faced birch ply is probably the best. You can get it with a smooth or with a patterned face. We used it for concrete mounds and it’s used for truck floors etc. Avoid the far eastern stuff the ply core is often very soft.

Thanks do you know where I could get it 

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I have a liking for "Stokboard" - made out of comprssed polythene and designed for use in stables / stock barns. It doesn't rot, BUT does need reinforceing (for which I used 2 x 1 ).

I wouldn't use any boards made from recycle polyethylene unless they come from a really good manufacturer. Most do not add UV stabiliser and think the recycle PE they are using is fine. It won't be and it will degrade in the sun. Agree with old goat and it will 'creep' ......technical term..... and sag. 

A lot of the companies making PE boards use PE from milk bottles. Milk bottle grade PE contains no UV stabiliser and is designed to be stiff and last a few weeks. It has zero stress crack resistance so useless for structural boards. 

Go for Buffalo boards. 

11 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I have a liking for "Stokboard" - made out of comprssed polythene and designed for use in stables / stock barns. It doesn't rot, BUT does need reinforceing (for which I used 2 x 1 ).

Have you used it for engine deck boards? How does it stand up to the heat rising from the engine? How do you attach the 2x1 reinforcement? Screws, given the difficulty of getting stuff to stick to PE? Not come across this stuff before, so keen to learn.

Jen

7 hours ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

What's the best product to seal the edges

Please define "best".

There are sealer products specifically designed to seal end grain. I think one is called Ensel or something similar. Several on here have used epoxide resin and given proper prep and enough coats I suspect paint would do or even polyester resin.

11 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

If you can get it Wisa form film faced birch ply is probably the best. You can get it with a smooth or with a patterned face. We used it for concrete moulds and it’s used for truck floors etc. Avoid the far eastern stuff the ply core is often very soft.

We needed our Wisa hex patterned 18mm  deck boards replaced so measured up and phoned the boat builders and  hire boat operators up in an increasing radius from our homebase. The closest priced boatyard came in at  at £100 in grey cut to size from their stock or £200 for white or brown. Two days later we picked them up, grey, cut to size, while passing. Still had a finger recess to cut and edges to epoxy.

1 minute ago, DandV said:

We needed our Wisa hex patterned 18mm  deck boards replaced so measured up and phoned the boat builders and  hire boat operators up in an increasing radius from our homebase. The closest priced boatyard came in at  at £100 in grey cut to size from their stock or £200 for white or brown. Two days later we picked them up, grey, cut to size, while passing. Still had a finger recess to cut and edges to epoxy.

What boatyard????

57 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18MM-PHENOLIC-PLY-8FT-X-4FT-SHEET/392424292365?hash=item5b5e4f800d:g:FkIAAOSwpCFcbHTd

I came across this stuff whilst searching around for buffalo board anyone know it it appears very weather and water resistant and hard wearing. 

This looks like Buffalo board mesh pattern. I suggest you contact the seller and establish the manufacturer. It's a good price but it's collect only from Doncaster.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Please define "best".

There are sealer products specifically designed to seal end grain. I think one is called Ensel or something similar. Several on here have used epoxide resin and given proper prep and enough coats I suspect paint would do or even polyester resin.

Yep, all of the above will work. If you really want it to last then I’d say epoxy resin is best but this isn’t really the time of year to do epoxy work unless you can get the boards into a heated area to apply it.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Have you used it for engine deck boards? How does it stand up to the heat rising from the engine? How do you attach the 2x1 reinforcement? Screws, given the difficulty of getting stuff to stick to PE? Not come across this stuff before, so keen to learn.

Jen

No, I haven't used it for deckboards - mine's a trad stern.

I have used it for deckboards in a very large Readseal Avon dinghy. It needs supportingat 600mm centres - or perhaps more. It's fairly solid stuff and I used brass woodscrews.

Sorry - not much help, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

This looks like Buffalo board mesh pattern. I suggest you contact the seller and establish the manufacturer. It's a good price but it's collect only from Doncaster.

If their address is close to the S&SY Navigation, you could collect it by boat!

47 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

No, I haven't used it for deckboards - mine's a trad stern.

I have used it for deckboards in a very large Readseal Avon dinghy. It needs supportingat 600mm centres - or perhaps more. It's fairly solid stuff and I used brass woodscrews.

Sorry - not much help, I'm afraid.

Thanks.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Hexaboard is really good. I think, bought it five plus years ago and just fitted, Bullalo board. Not as good but adequate.

Your punctuation confused me. Which of the two are you saying is inferior to the other?