Pump out cards at chandlers

RufusR

Featured Posts

Hey all

usually we call CART MK to order pump out cards for  Marsworth pump out and usually they take eons to arrive (good ole cart ) this time when we called to order the lady on the phone was quite offish as if it was all too much trouble and she grumpily stated “ You know you can get these at any chandlers you know “ oh we thought that’s good do willow bridge and midland chandlers do them ? Yes of course she said . Off we went and phoned both to be told neither knew whet we were on about and no they don’t . So does anyone who which chandlers on grand union stocks these or was the cart lady just trying to get rid of us as we were  interrupting her painting her nails ? 

Edited by RufusR

Ah didn’t realise you could do that . Do they turn up this century do you think ? .

phoned up to report a major breakdown of said pump out a few weeks ago with Rae sewage pouring across the road to be asked where was Marsworth and do we have a canal near there by the canal expert on the other end lol 

4 minutes ago, RufusR said:

Ah didn’t realise you could do that . Do they turn up this century do you think ? .

phoned up to report a major breakdown of said pump out a few weeks ago with Rae sewage pouring across the road to be asked where was Marsworth and do we have a canal near there by the canal expert on the other end lol 

Depending when you rang it may not have been a CRT member of staff you spoke to.  

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Ambulance service center?

A few years ago (when we had the farm in Wales) I had a trailer stolen from out of the field, I tried to follow them but by the time I was dressed and in the car (it was 4:00am) there were too many possible turn-offs to be able to find or follow them.

I returned home to phone the Police, eventually got thru and in response to their question 'where are you' I replied just outside Cefn-Y-Bedd,

Control Room - "Where is that"

Me - "Near Mold"

Me - "About 10 miles North of Wrecsam"

Me - "North Wales - where are you ?"

Control room - "We are in Aberdeen and are co-ordinating / allocating all calls for the whole of the UK".

When (a couple of days later) a local Bobby arrived he said there was no chance of finding it - it would have been stolen to order and have been on the Holyhead to Ireland 8:00am ferry.

Apparently there were dozens stolen every week.

Some time ago C&RT joined this 'co-ordination centre' as a cost saving exercise instead of having to man the phones out of hours, certainly for some considerable time the phones were answered by the Central Ambulance co-ordination centre who then took messages and / or forwarded the call to C&RT.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A few years ago (when we had the farm in Wales) I had a trailer stolen from out of the field, I tried to follow them but by the time I was dressed and in the car (it was 4:00am) there were too many possible turn-offs to be able to find or follow them.

I returned home to phone the Police, eventually got thru and in response to their question 'where are you' I replied just outside Cefn-Y-Bedd,

Me - "Near Mold"

Me - "About 10 miles North of Wrecsam"

Me - "North Wales - where are you ?"

Control room - "We are in Aberdeen and are co-ordinating / allocating all calls for the whole of the UK".

When (a couple of days later) a local Bobby arrived he said there was no chance of finding it - it would have been stolen to order and have been on the Holyhead to Ireland 8:00am ferry.

Apparently there were dozens stolen every week.

Some time ago C&RT joined this 'co-ordination centre' as a cost saving exercise instead of having to man the phones out of hours, certainly for some considerable time the phones were answered by the Central Ambulance co-ordination centre who then took messages and / or forwarded the call to C&RT.

Years ago when the dreaded ( command and control ) com puterised system hit the police force I was in the control room. A message appeared in the top corner of the screen that at so and so time ( half an hour earlier ) a message had been receieved stating there was a serious disturbance outside the " Honkey Tonk " control in west yorkshire hadnt a clue what it meant so didnt know which station to allocate to. I picked it up and told them it was the local name for a pub called " The Castlefields " we had in fact dealt with this some time ago, it was then I realised again that local knowledge was far more importent than a computer. Until command and control computerised systems 999 calls were answered by a local, with local knowledge of the area which is very important in policing. 999 calls are now answered by peeps with zero knowledge of the area you make your 999 call in.

On 02/11/2019 at 20:01, Alway Swilby said:

Back to pump out cards, coal boats often sell them. Contact Jules Fuels and see what they say.

Ooo that sounds Interesting JF calls regularly. Never thought to ask them . 

many thanks