Inverter - Strange behaviour

Featured Posts

We are looking into changing our inverter since we are experiencing a few issues with our current one - a Spark 2000w Pure Sine Wave.

The inverter is working but I am not sure that it is working correctly. There are a number of strange behaviours such as our washer machine (quite a digital affair and probably quite sensitive to fluctuations) beeps regularly during operation indicating a poor power supply. It is not drawing anywhere near 2000w as it this happens on a cold water wash. The wiring has been tested and everything is fine and when I connect my generator the issues go away.

So I guess the inverter is just not good enough.

Any advice/recommendations? I know Victron or Mastervolt are old favourites but maybe there are some alternatives.

Yes - the charge is fine and the batteries good. Engine running we are at 14.6v.

There are other strange behaviours too such as devices not being recognised when plugged into laptops that are plugged in the mains. Unplug the mains and the devices get recognised immediately.

4 minutes ago, rgriffiths said:

We are looking into changing our inverter since we are experiencing a few issues with our current one - a Spark 2000w Pure Sine Wave.

The inverter is working but I am not sure that it is working correctly. There are a number of strange behaviours such as our washer machine (quite a digital affair and probably quite sensitive to fluctuations) beeps regularly during operation indicating a poor power supply. It is not drawing anywhere near 2000w as it this happens on a cold water wash. The wiring has been tested and everything is fine and when I connect my generator the issues go away.

So I guess the inverter is just not good enough.

Any advice/recommendations? I know Victron or Mastervolt are old favourites but maybe there are some alternatives.

Inverters really are a case of "you get what you pay for", yes, there is an element of a premium price for buying a 'brand' but there is a difference in quality of components and build between a £1000 Mastervolt or Victron and a £200 'Chinese' (Spark) Ebay inverter.

Can you try borrowing an inverter from a neighbour / friend and see if the problem goes away ?

5 minutes ago, rgriffiths said:

Thanks Alan - I understand we have a bit of a cheapy on board but just wondered what the alternatives are. If we have to go Victron .......

I am rather 'careful with money' but accept that there are times when paying, what appears to be 'over the odds' is actually cheaper than buying a cheap product.

"Buy right and buy it once"

If you can find someone to loan you one whilst you try you washing machine, or, even moor up outside a chandlery and say you will buy one if it works your washer.

Then you are sure what will / won't work,

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am rather 'careful with money' but accept that there are times when paying, what appears to be 'over the odds' is actually cheaper than buying a cheap product.

"Buy right and buy it once"

If you can find someone to loan you one whilst you try you washing machine, or, even moor up outside a chandlery and say you will buy one if it works your washer.

Then you are sure what will / won't work,

Its of course possible with the best inverter available your washing machine wont work, so the above is very good advice. You don't need to physically borrow and install an inverter, Just a lead plugged into a boat with  a good inverter to your shore supply will do, so you can try it.

Of course, not all "Pure Sine Wave" inverters actually produce a pure sine wave, especially the cheap ones. It is "pure" in that it is neither square nor quasi-sine (which is essentially square with a step in the middle) but even so it may be a poorly synthesised digital approximation to a sine wave.

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

Of course, not all "Pure Sine Wave" inverters actually produce a pure sine wave, especially the cheap ones. It is "pure" in that it is neither square nor quasi-sine (which is essentially square with a step in the middle) but even so it may be a poorly synthesised digital approximation to a sine wave.

Didn't think any 'Pure Sine Wave' inverters were actually they pure, unlike s generator. It's just that the square bits go up and down in such small steps to look almost pure.

6 minutes ago, pearley said:

Didn't think any 'Pure Sine Wave' inverters were actually they pure, unlike s generator. It's just that the square bits go up and down in such small steps to look almost pure.

Indeed, but with small steps and a bit of filtering it can be very close to being a pure sine wave. Cheaper inverters may have bigger steps and no filtering, it is still called a pure sine wave but some electronic devices will object to the waveform and refuse to work properly.

8 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

What brand of washing machine, and is it a compact 3kg (or there about) one?

Or more specifically, what is the exact make and model washing machine?

Someone here may have one the same and be able to tell the board which inverter it likes being powered by.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or more specifically, what is the exact make and model washing machine?

Indeed!  The only reason I phrased it that way, was because of the two common compact WM, Zanussi and Candy, the former is notorious for not running well off of an inverter.

I think that on very low demands your inverter is going into power save mode. Digital controls on washers draw very little current whilst changing function.

My Zanussi does exactly this, gets confused before the main spin cycle.

Leaving a 240 volt light on whilst using the washer solves the problem.

Thanks for all the answers. I am certain that this strange behaviour is because the inverter's output is not a decent sine wave. Excellent advice suggesting dropping a line into a neighbour's boat - will certainly try that. The model is Hoover HBWM 84TAHC-80 Integrated 8 kg 1400 Spin Washing Machine.

Otherwise it would seem that Victron and Mastervolt remain the favourites.