Scottish food: rolls/haggis/oatcakes

LadyG

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, 8 Hairy Feet said:

What is the porridge with with whisky, raspberries and cream called... Ive only had it once (at Wickerman) it was lovely?

Mrs. Athy occasionally makes something similar (minus the whisky, for which neither of us cares) and calls it a "crowdie". Its main ingredient is calories, and yes, it is delicious.

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

Mrs. Athy occasionally makes something similar (minus the whisky, for which neither of us cares) and calls it a "crowdie". Its main ingredient is calories, and yes, it is delicious.

No, no, Mrs Athy will need to come up with another name. Crowdie is something to do with milk - my memory is telling me that it was the name for milk when it started to thicken up to make butter or cheese. Mind you that was dredged up from my childhood on the farm which was quite a long time ago ?

Haggis

23 minutes ago, haggis said:

No, no, Mrs Athy will need to come up with another name. Crowdie is something to do with milk.

Yes, hence the cream in it.

She didn't invent the name herself; whether she got the recipe from a Scots friend I couldn't say.

6 hours ago, stegra said:

Samuel Johnson's Dictionary definition of oats (1755):

'a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people

Scotland's definition of Samuel Johnson;

"archetypical English know-nothing"

On 01/11/2019 at 20:36, tree monkey said:

It's what you get after a Romantic pint of heavy and a bag of chips

It was out 25th Wedding anniversary two weeks ago. ‘Im Indoors suggested a breakfast roll. 

We’re still banned from Gregs!  ??

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/11/2019 at 21:19, Jen-in-Wellies said:

My favourite Scottish food item, Tattie scones! Very hard to find down south. Aldi sold them for a short while, but dead easy to make. Useful for using up excess mashed potato for breakfast the following day.

Those look good, they will have to be a rare treat for those of us trying to reduce our carb intake. 

Christmas is coming though and all diets are off!

On 01/11/2019 at 20:29, Mac of Cygnet said:

Don't confuse Staffordshire oatcakes with Scottish ones - they are completely different animals (they are animals aren't they?)   As different as Yorkshire puddings and rice puddings.

Indeed. A one stage I moved from Scotland to Staffordshire. I liked the Scottish oatcakes, but never acquired the taste for Staffordshire ones.

The difference in taste is due to Scottish oatcakes being wild and hunted in the mountains, whereas Staffy ones are farmed. A heather based diet, rather than grass and silage fed.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1