Help in identifying this area.

Kitscot

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

I posted a few weeks ago asking if anyone could identify a location on a canal. Your response was wonderful and I received the identification of the location very quickly. I wonder if I could take advantage of your substantial knowledge again. I am writing a book on the Lewis TV series and this is why I have a need to identify certain places used as locations. I will of course acknowledge all help from this community in the book's forward. Thank you. 

vlcsnap-2019-10-28-13h26m20s409.png

• Greenie 1

Perspective is a strange thing. Initially, I thought - looks like Ifley, but everything's too close -

The brisge should have a 1 1/2 boat layby behind it and the parapet looks solid,

I'm sure the chrch isn't that high up a hill,

the timber landing stage should be much further away.

The towpath isn't that wide.

However, it is Iffley lock - on further examination the parapet isn't solid and the 4 bay window is 'pretty unique' (!)

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think Lewis was on the towpath at that location and noticed the female pathologist in the pub garden with another man. No idea which series or which episode.

That was the episode Ramblin' Boy, series seven episode 2. The same area also appears in the Lewis episode Down Among The Fearful, series 7, episode 1.

Edited by Kitscot

I don't know if I should make a new post in regard to this query and if I should have I apologise in advance. I have another location query and this one does not have much to go on. I have taken screenshots of what I think are the best clues to the location. Thank you again for indulging me. It's from the Lewis episode Ramblin' Boy, series 7, episode 2. The events happen around the 55 minute mark. If you have access to the episode it might help better than my screenshots.

vlcsnap-2019-11-01-17h03m41s429.png

vlcsnap-2019-11-01-17h03m56s425.png

vlcsnap-2019-11-01-17h04m08s494.png

vlcsnap-2019-11-01-17h04m15s068.png

vlcsnap-2019-11-01-17h04m31s982.png

Further thought. I don't remember a bridge on the towpath as shown in the fourth photo with a decent looking building behind the hedge between Dukes cut and Oxford. The first photo looks as if there is a bridge abutment plus a boat like structure to the right of the towpath so that might suggest closer to Oxford with the boat on the castle mill stream.

The listing boat in the third photo plus the thing with house windows on a transom stern suggest to me a bit below the A34 bridge but I am not convinces all the photos are of the same location.

Been looking at Google maps in photo mode and can't locate that towpath bridge but there is a lot of tree cover towards Oxford.

• Love 1

This looks like the bridge to me

Grand Union Canal
https://maps.app.goo.gl/yYgDjAbogD4fTSx29

Not in Oxford at all

Seeing as there are boats wider than 7ft I suspect the whole scene was filmed around Uxbridge.

It wouldnt be the first time the GU has been substituted for the Oxford in Morse/Lewis etc.

Edited by Loddon
  • Love 1