Victron IP22 Blue power wiring diagram?

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

So I need to wire in the above. 3 output version. Stater battery does fine from a solar panel with a dedicated Pwm controller. Leisure batteries not so good (separate panels and controller).  Power audit , 2 amps 12vdc during the day. 7 amps 12vdc in evening. 0 amps at night. Maximum use 11amps 12vdc if every thing is on at the same time. VSR  links starter and leisure batteries. I think I only need to use 2 outputs, one to leisure, one to dc house output. Does any of this make sense? Be Nice ! 

19 minutes ago, BD3Bill said:

So I need to wire in the above. 3 output version. Stater battery does fine from a solar panel with a dedicated Pwm controller. Leisure batteries not so good (separate panels and controller).  Power audit , 2 amps 12vdc during the day. 7 amps 12vdc in evening. 0 amps at night. Maximum use 11amps 12vdc if every thing is on at the same time. VSR  links starter and leisure batteries. I think I only need to use 2 outputs, one to leisure, one to dc house output. Does any of this make sense? Be Nice ! 

The units are a bit 'iffy'.

You really need to be quoting figures in Ah (amphours).

Amp is an instantaneous measure and you would normally take amps x by time to give Ah.

So when you say 2 amps during the day - is that 2 amps continuously drawn for 12 hours (ie 24Ah) or is it 2 amps for 1 hour (ie 2Ah) or 2 amps for 15 minutes (ie 0.5Ah)

Similarly is 7 amps in the evening 7 amps for 5 hours (ie 35Ah), or 7 amps for 1 hour (ie 7Ah) or 7 amps for 10 minutes (ie ~1Ah)

You would then add up the Ah (say) 24Ah during the day and (say) 35Ah during the evening giving a total consumption of 59Ah per day.

Most people seem to be around 100Ah - 120Ah per day.

With my 3-outputs Victron you need to be join the outputs together to get maximum output. 

For example, with a 21 amp output charger each output will 'put-out' 7 amps, if you connect one output to your starter battery (it will charge at 7 amps), if you connect one output to your domestics it will charge at 7 amps, and the third will do nothing.

You need to link the  non-starter battery outputs together and then to the domestic bank which will then give you 14 amps going into the domestic batteries.

Of course (I'm sure you are aware) it is not the battery charger that determines the charge rate, but the batteries - the battery charger may 'want' to put out 14 amps, but if the batteries only 'want' 5 amps that is all they will take.

Read page 8 of the manual - remember it takes 15 hours to charge a 220Ah battery from 'flat' to 'full'.

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The units are a bit 'iffy'.

You really need to be quoting figures in Ah (amphours).

Amp is an instantaneous measure and you would normally take amps x by time to give Ah.

So when you say 2 amps during the day - is that 2 amps continuously drawn for 12 hours (ie 24Ah) or is it 2 amps for 1 hour (ie 2Ah) or 2 amps for 15 minutes (ie 0.5Ah)

Similarly is 7 amps in the evening 7 amps for 5 hours (ie 35Ah), or 7 amps for 1 hour (ie 7Ah) or 7 amps for 10 minutes (ie ~1Ah)

You would then add up the Ah (say) 24Ah during the day and (say) 35Ah during the evening giving a total consumption of 59Ah per day.

Most people seem to be around 100Ah - 120Ah per day.

With my 3-outputs Victron you need to be join the outputs together to get maximum output. 

For example, with a 21 amp output charger each output will 'put-out' 7 amps, if you connect one output to your starter battery (it will charge at 7 amps), if you connect one output to your domestics it will charge at 7 amps, and the third will do nothing.

You need to link the  non-starter battery outputs together and then to the domestic bank which will then give you 14 amps going into the domestic batteries.

Of course (I'm sure you are aware) it is not the battery charger that determines the charge rate, but the batteries - the battery charger may 'want' to put out 14 amps, but if the batteries only 'want' 5 amps that is all they will take.

Read page 8 of the manual - remember it takes 15 hours to charge a 220Ah battery from 'flat' to 'full'.

Fantastic, that’s what I needed to know. Thanks for you accuracies with my erm, power audit, but yes we really do use very little * . Just need to make up for the gloomy winter without running the engine, and as you have detected from the other thread despite owning our boat 6yrs and living aboard 2 ½ I am a shorepower virgin. Thanks once again .

ETA  * We don’t have an inverter you see. 

Edited by BD3Bill
Edit to add

3 hours ago, BD3Bill said:

despite owning our boat 6yrs and living aboard 2 ½ I am a shorepower virgin.

Best to stay that way if you can Bill. Once you get accustomed to the umbilical cord, you lose the little bit of freedom and independence....

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Best to stay that way if you can Bill. Once you get accustomed to the umbilical cord, you lose the little bit of freedom and independence....

Hi Mike. Agree with you there. The shorepower extension is hanging on the fence and won’t get plugged in unless I need it, nasty thing, rotting my lovely boat ! Lol.