Tyres as fenders

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Ian F B said:

That will be down in the "smoke" next week ,as a liveaboard!!!?

1 hour ago, Ian F B said:

It will take a little longer - last week it was sunk; owner and a couple of mates got it back afloat and he's bowhauling it (came past/round me today) and is getting on with bringing it back to life.

I can't imagine those bicycle inner tubes giving much protection; when something is going to meet the boat, it may well miss those thin tubes. Still, good luck to whoever is salvaging the boat; it's maybe not the ideal time of year for such a project. 

Last week, it was either on the Thames or the Wey but I forget exactly where, I saw a boat, GRP I think it was, using several plastic milk bottles full of water with string tied round the handles dangled over the side as fenders. Rather cheapskate for such a posh area, but fairly effective I guess. Until there's a real impact, when I suppose the bottles would tend to burst and collapse. But who cares when the replacement cost is virtually zero?

Good question, but I meant the bottles. I'd imagine that absorbing an impact might well burst a bottle, but it would have done its job and most people would soon have a free replacement as they'll be using the milk anyway.

The boat I saw these bottles on probably has some value, not that I looked closely. If it floats and has a working engine, I reckon a boat has value to someone.

8 hours ago, Peter X said:

Good question, but I meant the bottles. I'd imagine that absorbing an impact might well burst a bottle, but it would have done its job and most people would soon have a free replacement as they'll be using the milk anyway.

The boat I saw these bottles on probably has some value, not that I looked closely. If it floats and has a working engine, I reckon a boat has value to someone.

Plastic milk bottle tops, once opened for the first time, are barely adequate to contain milk at atmospheric pressure so they'll pop off at the slightest impact. I'd suggest there's no chance of this arrangement providing any fendering function other than perhaps warding off of a navigationally-challenged duck!

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

Last week, it was either on the Thames or the Wey but I forget exactly where, I saw a boat, GRP I think it was, using several plastic milk bottles full of water with string tied round the handles dangled over the side as fenders. Rather cheapskate for such a posh area, but fairly effective I guess. Until there's a real impact, when I suppose the bottles would tend to burst and collapse. But who cares when the replacement cost is virtually zero?

These are more commonly used to hold tarpaulins down.  Maybe the owner was copying this practice without understanding its purpose?

• Happy 1