Fantastic Volockies

plato

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Absolutely true, although if that had been the principal reason for creating them it would have been cheaper and more effective simply to have built 3 side ponds.

If CRT were genuinely anxious to save water they would restore those paddles to full operation - although I guess they'd have to restrict their operation to collies only because most boaters wouldn't understand how to use them.

Yes I think sheep dogs would probably be quite able to use them. Volockies on the other hand - probably not!

Edited by nicknorman

6 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

although I guess they'd have to restrict their operation to collies only because most boaters wouldn't understand how to use them.

Not a bad idea, collies being widely recognised as the most intelligent dogs of all. 

I wouldn't mind if the scheme was scrapped. I think vlockies are like paddle gear, handy when it works and a technique to make life a bit easier. If I had a choice, I'd keep vlockies and ban eberspachers (or however you spell the noisy things), boom boxes on hatches, generators and dogs. And reduce the licence fees for all musicians except banjo players. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I wouldn't mind if the scheme was scrapped. I think vlockies are like paddle gear, handy when it works and a technique to make life a bit easier. If I had a choice, I'd keep vlockies and ban eberspachers (or however you spell the noisy things), boom boxes on hatches, generators and dogs. And reduce the licence fees for all musicians except banjo players. 

Whats wrong with the Banjo ?

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Whats wrong with the Banjo ?

I can't play it... and nor could the bloke sitting on the roof of his boat with one for what felt like a century last year.  I kept thinking he was either going to tune the damn thing or stop.  In the end I upsticked and moved.  At least I park in the middle of nowhere when I want to play the trombone.  Vlockies with banjos, that would sort Mike the Boilerman out.

On 01/11/2019 at 20:11, Arthur Marshall said:

I can't play it... and nor could the bloke sitting on the roof of his boat with one for what felt like a century last year.  I kept thinking he was either going to tune the damn thing or stop.  In the end I upsticked and moved.  At least I park in the middle of nowhere when I want to play the trombone.  Vlockies with banjos, that would sort Mike the Boilerman out.

I never met anyone who could tune a banjo 

Two vollies there were at Hillmorton

A tall one, and one rather short one.

One said "If you will

Stay well clear of the cill,

It's not a good thing to get caught on"

Edited by Keeping Up
Edited to smell check the spill chucker
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from a cruise to Market Harborough and want to give huge thanks to volunteers at Watford and Foxton who were so pleasant and helpful in both directions.  And although not run by volunteers, the basin staff at MH were also very pleasant and helpful.  And all in rain-soaked November.

On 01/11/2019 at 20:11, Arthur Marshall said:

I will quietly slip away and play my banjo.

• Greenie 2