Where to do a ~1 week WINTER holiday going through towns or cities (vs countryside)?

ShrimpBurrito

Featured Posts

Hi all. Newbie to the forum, and to canal cruising, through have cruised Canadian canals and locks before on a 45-foot cruiser. Our family (2 adults, one 7-year old) is coming from abroad and looking to do a holiday about 1-week long the third week in December (starting around Dec 15/16) where we'd go through some towns (the likes of a place like Bath) and/or cities that might be scenic and/or be worthwhile to moor and walk around to see some sights. Countryside is great, but for this trip, we want to hit at least a few of these places during the course of the week that would be worth touring for a day or so. We'll be in Birmingham, but we're open going anywhere in the country to cruise. 

I think we'd probably prefer hiring a widebeam, but a very nicely appointed narrowboat might also be suitable if the route was particularly worthy and widebeams weren't an option.

Could anyone direct us to some places we should look at? We've been told that, at least in some canals, the ability to cruise at that time of year can't be confirmed till 7-10 days before due to weather (i.e. flow volume making currents too fast), so if that is indeed the case, I recognize we'll have to make a plan B in case weather doesn't cooperate.

Many thanks!

Dave

Edited by ShrimpBurrito

Most, but not all canal hire companies are now closed until february half term holiday. Your choice will be limited, there are much fewer widebeam boats for hire. Plastic stuff may be obtainable on the broads but that is not town/city. If u intend staying on canals near Birmingham then you have no option other than narrowbeam boats.

Thanks! We don't have any specific desire to stay in Birmingham, but we're not adverse to starting or ending there either. Good to know narrowboats are the only option around Birmingham. Really, anywhere in the country is fine with us; priority is on the destination and cruise experience (relaxing, with a few "cultural" points of interest).

Any tips on how to hone in on those bases and routes that might be open in December? Stick to the south? Randomly Google (my strategy thusfar)?

Dave

Edited by ShrimpBurrito

24 minutes ago, ShrimpBurrito said:

Any tips on how to hone in on those bases and routes that might be open in December?

https://www.abcboathire.com/

ABC Boat hire have a few boats available at that time, but only from their Reedley or Rugby bases, all the rest of their locations are closed for hiring.  As others have said, you also need to check for closures on the network, as most canals will have at least something being repaired over the winter period.

Additional word of advice, not withstanding that the English version of cold, is balmy compared with the Canadian version, narrowboats get a bit chilly in the crisp mid winter.  Most hire boats have diesel or gas heating, but this is designed to take the edge off in the spring or autumn.  Hardy live aboarders normally have a multi fuel burner, but not so many hire boats have such a luxury.

Just now, ShrimpBurrito said:

What are these? Wood or coal stoves?

Both, hence multi, although it is less coal than a composite, anthracite based, smokeless fuel.  Most planning areas ban the use of smoke polluting fuels, including house coal...

21 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Kate Boats hire out over the winter, and their Warwick base is easily acccessible from Birmingham by train if you wont have a car.  (Haven't checked for any local stoppages)

I would second Kate Boats as a good one for year round hire, although you may be better looking at boats from their Stockton base rather than the Warwick base.  To get out of Warwick you will need to do 23 locks, and then 23 back, so probably not the best for just 1 week in December.  Stockton will give you a number of options without doing an excessive number of locks.

Their boat are all narrowboats though, as are the vast majority of hire boats.

I just noticed your city requirement, as an alternative I believe you would be able to hire from Anglo Welsh at Tardebigge, and you could then go into the centre of Birmingham, and explore parts of the BCN, which is mostly urban.

Edited by john6767

If you can fix the date to the third week in December then the first tranche of winter stoppages will be lifted. They are mostly lifted on Friday 13th December and stoppages recommence in the New Year. Canals that stay shut all winter this year are Llangollen, Macclesfield and Rufford Branch which can easily be avoided.

The problem with the proposal is that there are only 8 hours of daylight at that time of year and canal boats are very slow so the idea that you could visit a number of towns worthy of a visit in one week on a canal boat in December is flawed. I think I’d struggle a bit with that request in the height of summer in any case. My reading of the situation is that Birmingham and the Black Country aren’t quite what the OP had in mind.

Warwick and Stratford-on-Avon fit the bill but cruising from one to the other and return while possible in a week is very lock intensive. You might be better hiring at Warwick or Stockton and heading east initially perhaps to Stoke Bruerne, Banbury or Coventry and visiting Warwick and Stratford by car or train while you are in that area.

The Warwickshire ring would allow you to visit Warwick, Leamington (a nice town away from the canal), Coventry (cathedral and motor museum and avert eyes for the rest) and Birmingham but at that time of year and to include those visits it would definitely need two weeks.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

31 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

If you can fix the date to the third week in December then the first tranche of winter stoppages will be lifted. They are mostly lifted on Friday 13th December and new stoppages recommence in the New Year. Canals that stay shut all winter this year are Llangollen, Macclesfield and Rufford Branch which can easily be avoided.

The problem with the proposal is that there are only 8 hours of daylight at that time of year and canal boats are very slow so the idea that you could visit a number of towns worthy of a visit in one week on a canal boat in December is flawed. I think I’d struggle a bit with that request in the height of summer in any case. My reading of the situation is that Birmingham and the Black Country aren’t quite what the OP had in mind.

Warwick and Stratford-on-Avon fit the bill but cruising from one to the other while possible and return while possible in a week is very lock intensive. You might be better hiring at Warwick or Stockton and heading east initially perhaps to Stoke Bruerne, Banbury or Coventry and visiting Warwick and Stratford by car or train while you are in that area.

The Warwickshire ring would allow you to visit Warwick, Leamington (a nice town away from the canal), Coventry (cathedral and motor museum and avert eyes for the rest) and Birmingham but at that time of year and to include those visits it would definitely need two weeks.

JP

CP speaks wisely on all counts

The bit I've highlighted though, depends what you want - I like to explore, so a small market town can be as rewarding as a big city. We are fortunate on Britain that most of our towns are very long established so contain some historic interest. 

ABC, if one starts from Rugby then Coventry is easily within reach and (to my mind at least) fascinating especially around the cathedral, and one could press on up the Ashby to Market Bosworth. 

From their Reedley Base one could get to Skipton, and Burnley itself is said to be worth a visit if, like me, you "do" towns. Barrowford and Barnoldswick would probably repay an hour or two to visit

(Both these routes are ridiculously easy in a week, so could be extended or allow long stops in places of interest.)

By and large exploring English towns is as good as you make it, some people get bored easily, others find endless fascination (although perhaps not in Trowbridge - if you end up there get the bus to Frome ;) ) 

Last January we went with Boutique Narrowboats which although on the more expensive side did have a well set out and equipped boat.  They were based at Debdale Wharf we we hired but I believe they have now moved to Market Harborough (according the there webbsite they were due to - www.boutiquenarrowboats.co.uk), which will probably be a lot easier to get to for somebody not used to the area than Debdale.  The only snag is they are geared up for couples so there'e a nice big bed at the bow but the sofa was comforatable and my son (12 at the time) had no problem sleeping on it.  I foound it quite hard to find an operator thatt was open over winter although Christmas/New Year hirings were more available - if expensive.  As per previous advise check closures etc before you book or plan you route.  I'm a countryside person so we headed towards Leicester a route which is largely designated SSI (special scientifc interest) and even in winter was very nice.  

Hi all,

Thanks so much for this great feedback. Super helpful. Taking heed that the Llangollen, Macclesfield and Rufford Branch are all closed, is there a website or something where network closures are posted? 

The ridiculously short days and the corresponding short sailing times are noted; thanks for pointing that out. I should have clarified that we're not solely focused on cities or small towns --- we just want there to be something of interest periodically along the way instead of just open country. Basically, something that would just provide a reason to get off the boat for a few hours maybe every other day or so to explore.

I like the boats at Kate Boats and Boutiquenarrowboats, but the more we look at narrowboats, the more we think we want to at least first focus on trying to get a widebeam, at least for this trip given that we may end up spending so much time inside with inclement and dark weather. So far, I've identified some potential wide beam options on the:

• Kennet & Avon canal (presuming it a good idea to avoid the Caen Hill locks)
  • River Thames starting from around Reading
  • Leeds & Liverpool canal (aside from the Rufford branch); I have read about the Staircase locks. We did lots of locks in Canada, but they were operated by staff. Not sure if that happens there.

Any thoughts on these? 

Dave

9 minutes ago, ShrimpBurrito said:

Hi all,

Thanks so much for this great feedback. Super helpful. Taking heed that the Llangollen, Macclesfield and Rufford Branch are all closed, is there a website or something where network closures are posted? 

The ridiculously short days and the corresponding short sailing times are noted; thanks for pointing that out. I should have clarified that we're not solely focused on cities or small towns --- we just want there to be something of interest periodically along the way instead of just open country. Basically, something that would just provide a reason to get off the boat for a few hours maybe every other day or so to explore.

I like the boats at Kate Boats and Boutiquenarrowboats, but the more we look at narrowboats, the more we think we want to at least first focus on trying to get a widebeam, at least for this trip given that we may end up spending so much time inside with inclement and dark weather. So far, I've identified some potential wide beam options on the:

• Kennet & Avon canal (presuming it a good idea to avoid the Caen Hill locks)
  • River Thames starting from around Reading
  • Leeds & Liverpool canal (aside from the Rufford branch); I have read about the Staircase locks. We did lots of locks in Canada, but they were operated by staff. Not sure if that happens there.

Any thoughts on these? 

Dave

The Thames is fab but may well be in flood in december??????? The other locations are also good but you MUST check stoppages and ring the companies to ensure they will be fully operating on your dates. K and A has mailes of moored boats and not much else to do other than go to the pub :D

You need to make sure what you hire has a solid fuel stove.

Stoppages are all listed on the Canal and River Trust website.

Western K&A has Bath, Bradford and, if you're prepared to walk up the locks, Devizes. Also you could get a train to Frome from Bradford or a bus to Frome from Semington - I live in Frome and I know canal holiday makers do this as our visitor surveys pick it up.

The bus from Semington goes to Melksham the other way which is a pleasant town with very good Christmas lights (or at least they have been in previous years) which will be on during your holiday. 

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The Thames is fab but may well be in flood in december??????? The other locations are also good but you MUST check stoppages and ring the companies to ensure they will be fully operating on your dates. K and A has mailes of moored boats and not much else to do other than go to the pub :D

You need to make sure what you hire has a solid fuel stove.

Stoppages are all listed on the Canal and River Trust website.

I'd take a slight issue with the above - what is more certain this year is that there are lock closures pending (EA are juggling their equipment and contractors around to get their 'best bang for their bucks' - and the dates may well change. In addition most of the hire fleets have closed for the winter season. All the larger boats on hire are fibreglass cruisers and AFAIK none have wood burning stoves, though some may have diesel fire 'ebersplutter' units. When we passed both Benson and Reading most boats looked as though they were finished for the winter.

A shame as I'd love you to come on to the Thames....

5 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Western K&A has Bath, Bradford and, if you're prepared to walk up the locks, Devizes. Also you could get a train to Frome from Bradford or a bus to Frome from Semington - I live in Frome and I know canal holiday makers do this as our visitor surveys pick it up.

The bus from Semington goes to Melksham the other way which is a pleasant town with very good Christmas lights (or at least they have been in previous years) which will be on during your holiday. 

If ABC at Hilperton are open they had at least 1 wide beam hire boat on this stretch, we hired from there a few years ago and went down to Bath and back up to Semington  via Bradford on Avon in an easy week including a visit to Devizes on foot. There were a lot of moored but some very interesting boats lining the banks and we always found visitor moorings when we wanted them.

14 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

CP speaks wisely on all counts

The bit I've highlighted though, depends what you want - I like to explore, so a small market town can be as rewarding as a big city. We are fortunate on Britain that most of our towns are very long established so contain some historic interest. 

ABC, if one starts from Rugby then Coventry is easily within reach and (to my mind at least) fascinating especially around the cathedral, and one could press on up the Ashby to Market Bosworth. 

From their Reedley Base one could get to Skipton, and Burnley itself is said to be worth a visit if, like me, you "do" towns. Barrowford and Barnoldswick would probably repay an hour or two to visit

(Both these routes are ridiculously easy in a week, so could be extended or allow long stops in places of interest.)

By and large exploring English towns is as good as you make it, some people get bored easily, others find endless fascination (although perhaps not in Trowbridge - if you end up there get the bus to Frome ;) ) 

Poor Trowbridge. My introduction to this area was via the lovely Trowbridge Village Pump festival so I always assumed Trowbridge itself must be a good place. It was not till we got a boat and spent more time in that area that we realised the Trowbridge sadly is the only low spot on the K&A.

.........Dave

On 31/10/2019 at 21:09, john6767 said:

I would second Kate Boats as a good one for year round hire, although you may be better looking at boats from their Stockton base rather than the Warwick base.  To get out of Warwick you will need to do 23 locks, and then 23 back, so probably not the best for just 1 week in December.  Stockton will give you a number of options without doing an excessive number of locks.

Their boat are all narrowboats though, as are the vast majority of hire boats.

I just noticed your city requirement, as an alternative I believe you would be able to hire from Anglo Welsh at Tardebigge, and you could then go into the centre of Birmingham, and explore parts of the BCN, which is mostly urban.

My nephew is, this morning returning a boat to Kate's Warwick site. I had advised, as above, get from Stockton. But no, Warwick it was. He has regretted such a decision, but has thoroughly enjoyed his first weeks Hire. Havant checked for stoppages. The base ought to be able to advise.

Edited by Nightwatch

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

My nephew is, this morning returning a boat to Kate's Warwick site. I had advised, as above, get from Stockton. But no, Warwick it was. He has regretted such a decision, but has thoroughly enjoyed his first weeks Hire. Havant checked for stoppages. The base ought to be able to advise.

No direct stoppages before Christmas, both sides are open from Warwick.  Stockton side closed after Christmas.

1 hour ago, captain birdseye said:

Chas Harden on the Shroppie at Beeston used to have boats with stoves in and is a nice run down into Chester. Not sure of stoppages around that area, but if you are interested its easy to look them up

I believe he still has a few with stoves, and he operates all year round. No widebeams, but a couple of semi trads which might help in poor weather.