Boat licence fees for 2020-21

Ray T

Featured Posts

I know someone who insists on paying over the phone . 

It took months for CRT to contact him for the payment. By then his BSS cert had expired. So CRT refused his payment for the months his BSS was valid.

A big waste of time. Paying online is quick and simple.

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It took months for CRT to contact him for the payment. By then his BSS cert had expired. So CRT refused his payment for the months his BSS was valid.

Why did he let his BSSC lapse and not renew it in the 3 months allowed before expiry ?

Not having a BSSC would invalidate his licence and probably would not be looked on favourably by his insurers.

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why did he let his BSSC lapse and not renew it in the 3 months allowed before expiry ?

Not having a BSSC would invalidate his licence and probably would not be looked on favourably by his insurers.

He is one of those people who does everything at the last minute. Local examiners have been found to be unavailable or injured or unwell or deceased.

The problem is substantially admittedly  of the mans own making.

However he tried to pay the license fee for the months the BSSC was valid but CRT refused to take his money.

As for insurance.  The boat is off water so no BSSC is mandatory. 

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sorry - but why is he worrying about the licence if the boat is out of the water ?

He wants to pay for the three months May to August 2019 during which time the BSSC was valid.

CRT will not take his money as the BSSC expired in September.

Edited by MartynG

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

He wants to pay for the three months May to August 2019 during which time the BSSC was valid.

CRT will not take his money as the BSSC expired in September.

I'm still not understanding why he would want to pay for a licence when his boat is out of the water.

But, at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm still not understanding why he would want to pay for a licence when his boat is out of the water.

The boat was in use on CRT waters  June  to August , which is the period he wants to pay for. (not May as I said earlier )

Edited by MartynG

14 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Am I reading this correctly. I currently pay in one go and get the prompt payment discount. But from next year I might as well pay monthly by direct debit and get the same discount ?  I’d say that’s an own goal by CRT. Clearly they have no financial acumen at all ....

That’s my thinking. So I’ll go from paying  in full to DD. I know they won’t be getting any interest on the money but surly it’s better in their bank early than the chance of none at all. 

15 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Am I reading this correctly. I currently pay in one go and get the prompt payment discount. But from next year I might as well pay monthly by direct debit and get the same discount ?  I’d say that’s an own goal by CRT. Clearly they have no financial acumen at all ....

I think they are saying -

Pay in full In advance  by ‘on line’ or DD= 5%

Pay in full In advance  by phone/cheque/cash etc = 2.5%

Pay in stages by ‘on line’ or DD= 2.5%

Everything else is no discount.

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I think they are saying -

Pay in full In advance  by ‘on line’ or DD= 5%

Pay in full In advance  by phone/cheque/cash etc = 2.5%

Pay in stages by ‘on line’ or DD= 2.5%

Everything else is no discount.

Yep that is my reading of it.  Can’t see any real advantage of paying in full by DD, you may as well just use debit card, unless it is just that fact it is done automatically, but then you can opt to have the payment from a card taken automatically as well.  I know organisations and banks like you to use DD though.

On 31/10/2019 at 22:27, jonathanA said:

I don’t think you are reading it correctly.

If you pay in full online, you get the 2.5% prompt payment discount, and the 2.5% online discount — so the same 5% as before.

If you switch to monthly direct debit you only get the 2.5% online discount.