Webasto Thermo Top C Query

Featured Posts

My Webasto system has now been operational for a few weeks and I would like to understand what it is doing.  When switched on, the boiler output temp steadily rises and the input temp is 2 - 3 degs behind it, until the input temp gets to 56 degs, when the boiler goes quiet. When the temp drops a few degs then the boiler appears to power up to full load again. This is not what I expected.

I understood from the manuals that from the start it should carry on at full load until 71 degs then drop to half load until 56 degs and then resume full load. Can anyone explain what is happening and where my understanding is wrong?

The webasto was professionally installed, marine kit, and I installed the rads, about 5.2Kw (but only with a delta T of 50 degs).  It needs more which I shall do when I can.

22 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

My Webasto system has now been operational for a few weeks and I would like to understand what it is doing.  When switched on, the boiler output temp steadily rises and the input temp is 2 - 3 degs behind it, until the input temp gets to 56 degs, when the boiler goes quiet. When the temp drops a few degs then the boiler appears to power up to full load again. This is not what I expected.

I understood from the manuals that from the start it should carry on at full load until 71 degs then drop to half load until 56 degs and then resume full load. Can anyone explain what is happening and where my understanding is wrong?

The webasto was professionally installed, marine kit, and I installed the rads, about 5.2Kw (but only with a delta T of 50 degs).  It needs more which I shall do when I can.

You could try a PM to forum member  NMEA who knows all about Webastos    https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/profile/15174-nmea/

Edited by Flyboy

If you don’t have the workshop manual for your heater, this may interest you, especially section 3.1 & 3.2 (It covers both ‘diesel’ and ‘fuel’ which I take to mean petrol).

https://www.butlertechnik.com/downloads/Webasto_Heater_Thermo_Top_C_Workshop_Manual_(2).pdf

it is possible that the person that fitted it has adjusted the parameters via a laptop to make it more boaty than vehicle, so it may help if you ask them.

Edited by Chewbacka

On 31/10/2019 at 11:52, system 4-50 said:

When switched on, the boiler output temp steadily rises and the input temp is 2 - 3 degs behind it, until the input temp gets to 56 degs, when the boiler goes quiet. When the temp drops a few degs then the boiler appears to power up to full load again. This is not what I expected.

Don't know much about these but I'm wondering if the boiler is only ever running at half power, which is why it turns OFF instead of ramping down to half power. It is as half power in the first place. 

On full power I'd expect a dt of a lot more than 2 or 3 degrees (unless you have a mahoosive pump blasting the water around).