help needed to refloat my boat

dragon'squest

Featured Posts

Update.   I've heard that the fair Dunkella didn't get puffed out in mid channel whilst swimming it  she actually ran aground whilst dodging a container ship, whilst she was aground and stranded a super tanker came along and ran aground upon her. It backed off and released her and then she was hauled out by the guard boat crew.  The super tanker limped sinking into Rotterdam for major repairs to the quite severe damage done.  Dunkella suffered a slight scratch on her back which an elastoplast fixed.  :mellow:

25 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Update.   I've heard that the fair Dunkella didn't get puffed out in mid channel whilst swimming it  she actually ran aground whilst dodging a container ship, whilst she was aground and stranded a super tanker came along and ran aground upon her. It backed off and released her and then she was hauled out by the guard boat crew.  The super tanker limped sinking into Rotterdam for major repairs to the quite severe damage done.  Dunkella suffered a slight scratch on her back which an elastoplast fixed.  :mellow:

I expect the super tanker being driven by that nice Steve Haywood...

• Happy 1

On 30/10/2019 at 19:03, deckhand said:

Could I ask what may seem a daft question? You asked was it "just rain water". Serious question, how would rain water cause something like this? 

If enough rain water enters the boat it upsets the balance of the boat and the boat gets overladen and sinks but tbf it is easily avoided by fitting a few automatic bilge pumps which will kick water out before it becomes a problem

19 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

If enough rain water enters the boat it upsets the balance of the boat and the boat gets overladen and sinks but tbf it is easily avoided by fitting a few automatic bilge pumps which will kick water out before it becomes a problem

We lived on a narrowboat, a cruiser stern, it always had a canopy so water getting into the bilge area never happened. We also had a trad , where the engine was in the stern which also never had water in the bilge so I had not come across this being an issue.  We have just bought ourselves a trad but the engine is in the middle of the boat so the only way into the stern end is under the steps where the weed hatch is but I didn't know how water might get in here (unless weed hatch mishap).  We are not living on this one so have it in a marina but just want to be aware of anything that could happen whilst we are away from her.

1 hour ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

It would be if they worked.  I've only needed the pumps to work automatically twice, and both times they've failed. Not to be relied on.  I still have them installed, but make sure I check the thing on a regular basis. Cruiser stern, always water in the bilge.

Ref the holes.

A boat went under at Crofton a few years ago when levels dropped.

Upon refloating was found that the hull had several holes in above the waterline.

It appeared to be the hull had been drilled for skin fittings and then the interior was laid out differently and had skin fittings put on the other side.

The interior was lined and the unused holes were forgotten about.

Boat several years later listed in a low pound . The rest is........

[ref the late Dave & Sheba of NB Summer]