help needed to refloat my boat

dragon'squest

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Slight amendment as I'm not sure that it is actually KNOWN to be malicious at this stage.

I know there are some 'baddies' about but to use a battery powered drill, under the water line to drill not one but two holes is a bit of a stretch.

If it is malicious why have the Police not been informed, or the insurers notified and let them arrange to re-float it.

Maybe they have and we just haven't been told, does the OP still visit this forum? 

9 hours ago, bizzard said:

Easiest way to sink a boat. Length of water hose. Drop one end in the canal, Suck the other end to syphon up water, drop it in the boat, walk away.

Think I'd agree with that, given just how easy that would be, why would anyone bother with all the noise and effort of drilling?:unsure:

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Think I'd agree with that, given just how easy that would be, why would anyone bother with all the noise and effort of drilling?:unsure:

Probably never thought of it. But now it's on a public forum perhaps word will get around and all those nimbys on quayside developments can take advantage. 

14 minutes ago, stegra said:

nimbys

Not so sure this was down to nimbys, well not unless you count changing an engine in someone’s back garden as nimbyism!  The OP went on to tell us that there was no oil pollution to the waterway as he was in the process of changing the engine.  Me thinks there might be more to this than meets the eye...

6 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Not so sure this was down to nimbys, well not unless you count changing an engine in someone’s back garden as nimbyism!  The OP went on to tell us that there was no oil pollution to the waterway as he was in the process of changing the engine.  Me thinks there might be more to this than meets the eye...

I have a feeling a few of us are thinking the same thing.

• Greenie 1

I do NOT know how true this is,but I read there'd been trouble with the owner of the boat & his dogs.He'd been left with (3) adult dogs,but some pups had been taken away by the RSPCA.Perhaps someone then had a grudge against him.I really don't know,but from snippets I've read-feel there is more to this than meets the eye !

7 hours ago, Steve42 said:

Do you know what sank it? A boat sinking is thankfully quite a  rare event, two in the same spot? one known to be malicious..... Don't think I will more anywhere round there.

Two in the same spot? 

Where do you think the one I mentioned happened?

Since we seem in speculation mode, and thinking a bit out of the box, it has occurred to me, although perhaps a bit dramatic, would it be possible to fire two bullet holes through 6mm steel just below the waterline? I find the idea of someone drilling two holes a bit of a stretch of credulity, but walking past with a an illegal handgun during the hours of darkness and firing a couple of bullets through it (if they would penetrate 6mm steel) not impossible since, given the number of fireworks going off recently, who is going to think anything odd about a couple loud bangs in the run up to November 5th?

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Since we seem in speculation mode, and thinking a bit out of the box, it has occurred to me, although perhaps a bit dramatic, would it be possible to fire two bullet holes through 6mm steel just below the waterline? I find the idea of someone drilling two holes a bit of a stretch of credulity, but walking past with a an illegal handgun during the hours of darkness and firing a couple of bullets through it (if they would penetrate 6mm steel) not impossible since, given the number of fireworks going off recently, who is going to think anything odd about a couple loud bangs in the run up to November 5th?

It's arguable that someone shooting 2 holes in the boat would be stretching credulity even more than someone drilling the holes! Besides no handgun is powerful enough to penetrate 6mm steel. It would have to be a rifle. 

8 hours ago, booke23 said:

It's arguable that someone shooting 2 holes in the boat would be stretching credulity even more than someone drilling the holes! Besides no handgun is powerful enough to penetrate 6mm steel. It would have to be a rifle. 

I’m in the middle of reading The Canal Pushers (excellent book, btw). Looks like Alan might have a plot idea for his next one!

10 hours ago, booke23 said:

Small torpedoes?

Perhaps someone mistook the boat for Steve Haywood's?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

I’m in the middle of reading The Canal Pushers (excellent book, btw). Looks like Alan might have a plot idea for his next one!

Yes, it's a good read.

But the author is an Andy, not an Alan!

The next one, River Rats, is due out next March.

14 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

? maybe it could of been a super laser, the sort of James Bond Terminator super weapon? or an Alien with laser firing eyes hence the two holes. ??

Sorry but the bullet idea is just a non starter, drill yes, gun no.

Edited by PD1964
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A couple of pin holes, nicely rusty, would be just a couple of holes. Much more likely than someone drilling. It's obviously an old boat. 

on the waterline would be the most likely position too

3 hours ago, PD1964 said:

? maybe it could of been a super laser, the sort of James Bond Terminator super weapon? or an Alien with laser firing eyes hence the two holes. ??

Sorry but the bullet idea is just a non starter, drill yes, gun no.

Bullet holes would be very easily identified ;)

Oddly and slightly worrying I found my works van with a bullet hole through a side window, said bullet also passed through the ply divider between cab and cargo area, eventually found the 22 caught up between 2 ply panels.

The holes were very distinctive :)

On 03/11/2019 at 14:24, Athy said:

We may get some legitimate ones too if we're lucky.

Our Man Bizz has been doing this for years. I'm never quite sure about how much his tales are embroidered, but they always make very entertaining reading.

Only embroidered a little. All mostly true.  Actually Dunkella was a super long distance swimmer and diver and won lots cups and trophies.  She dove in and resued her hubby on the Norfolk Broads once when he fell off the boat drunk. They say Hickling Broad overflowed its banks when she dove in it. Incidentally she is a Norfolk girl so she is a real Norfolk Broad. She also attemted to swim the channel but got puffed out half way across and was hauled out by the guard boat crew, they had a heck of a struggle. You ought to have seen her all smothered in goose grease to keep out the cold. It was difficult taking a photo of her at their wedding, the photographer couldn't find a wide enough angle lens to get her all in and he couldn't get back far enough either to get her all in.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes, it's a good read.

But the author is an Andy, not an Alan!

The next one, River Rats, is due out next March.

Oops, my bad! Thanks for the correction and apologies to Mr G. Look forward to River Rats, another reason to hang on as long as I can ?.

4 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Bullet holes would be very easily identified ;)

Oddly and slightly worrying I found my works van with a bullet hole through a side window, said bullet also passed through the ply divider between cab and cargo area, eventually found the 22 caught up between 2 ply panels.

The holes were very distinctive :)

Yes bullet holes are very distinctive and since the OP hasn't put any photos on and says they were drilled, the bullet hole theory as mentioned by a poster is in reality a no-brainer.