help needed to refloat my boat

dragon'squest

Featured Posts

36 minutes ago, DandV said:

In the absence of any meaningful information of the boat's circumstances the best I can offer is put sufficient water around it, or alternatively move it to sufficient water.

I assumed it has sunk, so removing water would seem to be required. 

A bucket may be involved, but a pump would be better.

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, dragon'squest said:

do you have a phone no for River Canal Rescue i could ring my boat is on Dudley canal by bumble hole

Yes. 01785 785680. You will need to join them (there is a fee) before they will help.

4 hours ago, dragon'squest said:

how to re float 62 foot narrow boat 

You have to get the water out faster than it gets in. So until we know how deep it is sunk it is impossible to say which ‘holes’ need blocking, and how big a pump.  However once the water is out, the boat will stink, as canal water is dirty, so if you have insurance talk to them before you do anything.  Also tell the navigation authority (Probably CRT or EA depending upon who’s water you might be polluting) as you are possibly (depending on depth) polluting the water with stuff (including diesel, oil, sewerage etc) leaking from your boat, and that is a serious matter, and they won’t like it if you don’t tell them before someone else does.

Even if you only have third party, tell the insurance company as there may be significant third party claims for anti pollution measures taken by the navigation authority.

Edited by Chewbacka

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Welcome to CWDF.

Perhaps you could give us some details: where is your boat, and why won't it float?

"Canal Market Place" on Facebook has photos.  I hope the owner gets the help they need to get it refloated.

8 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

"Canal Market Place" on Facebook has photos.  I hope the owner gets the help they need to get it refloated.

Ah, so it must be sitting on the bottom then, or there would be nothing to photograph.

Much easier than if it has sunk fully below the water surface.

Where is it? 

A boat sank here similarly last year. RCR turned up and pumped it out and floated it in about 4 hours. The owner with some help from some friends and adjacent boaters dried out all the soft furnishings on the fence by the canal and cruised off on their way after about three days. Wasn't quite the disaster it could have been. 

Any idea what sank it.  If it was just rain water or too tight mooring ropes a big powerful pump should raise it as it looks like the gunwales are still showing,  block front scuppers and any engine space vents in the hull side if you can would be a big help in raising it and not perhaps such a big pump needed.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, bizzard said:

Any idea what sank it.  If it was just rain water or too tight mooring ropes a big powerful pump should raise it as it looks like the gunwales are still showing,  block front scuppers and any engine space vents in the hull side if you can would be a big help in raising it and not perhaps such a big pump needed.

Could I ask what may seem a daft question? You asked was it "just rain water". Serious question, how would rain water cause something like this? 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If that is the boat it looks a lot of money not to have insured

I may be wrong and hope I am but, if my boat was sitting on the bottom the first call I would be making would be to my insurance company, not asking how to raise my boat on an internet forum.