Purchasing an Ex Hire Boat, whats your view?

huami

Featured Posts

On 30/05/2020 at 00:28, AWETHEAYET said:

Sorry Tony I know this is a post from a while back but I'm in the position, after over 10 years of hiring, to now buy my own boat and was looking at ex- hire for family layout, I have over the years seen a deterioration in attitudes towards hire boats so really go with your "plonker"  assessment of this attitude.

Quick question to all, when buying a boat, is it like buying a second hand car, you can make an offer lower than advertised price and then settle on a mutually agreed price, subject to a survey of course then negotiations start again.

What is a typical low offer, medium offer etc. 15% less 10% less what ever?

I have bought 3 boats, first ex hire and a very good boat I offered a couple of thousand less than the asking price in the end I paid 5k under after doing a deal with the fleet owner. Second boat repossession 76k I offered 40k and did the deal at 48.5I my partner of the time drove a hard bargain ?

Third was offered it for 4k and paid that as it was a very cheap and worth it

We purchased an ex-hire boat, we were the 2nd private owner, with the 1st private owner having spent over £11,000 to alter the bedroom and bathroom and remove the pump-out tank. (receipts in the humungous book of history)

It was Juno (the bottom boat on their brochure) It was only 4 or 5 years old when it was sold off out of the 'fleet'.

image.png.218fe77dac7d2223eeaa1c2dcc09bd8a.png

CAM00042.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thank you all for your contributions, at least no one said they wouldn't touch an ex hire with the proverbial barge pole. I will be buying very soon a boat that will be used for weekends and holidays, and I already know I will be inundated with family and friends, :) 

This will not be my forever boat, that will come when I retire, this boat will be for memory building with the those mentioned before, and having hired for over ten years, I do know a little about hire boats, not all, but we know what features we like and what we don't.

There are quite a lot on the market that we would consider, two bedroom preferred but not essential, we've made up many a bed in our time but a lot better if you don't have to.

Thanks all once again.   

2 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Thank you all for your contributions, at least no one said they wouldn't touch an ex hire with the proverbial barge pole. I will be buying very soon a boat that will be used for weekends and holidays, and I already know I will be inundated with family and friends, :) 

This will not be my forever boat, that will come when I retire, this boat will be for memory building with the those mentioned before, and having hired for over ten years, I do know a little about hire boats, not all, but we know what features we like and what we don't.

There are quite a lot on the market that we would consider, two bedroom preferred but not essential, we've made up many a bed in our time but a lot better if you don't have to.

Thanks all once again.   

Enjoy it I know I enjoy Ashleigh an ex share boat for the 6 years that I owned her

19 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Enjoy it I know I enjoy Ashleigh an ex share boat for the 6 years that I owned her

I would not be so keen to buy an ex share boat unless I was sure about how the shares operated and how well maintained it was. A self managed boat might not be very well serviced etc.

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would not be so keen to buy an ex share boat unless I was sure about how the shares operated and how well maintained it was. A self managed boat might not be very well serviced etc.

Managed by a company who maintained her well, when they seized the engine on her last trip new engine and box fitted same with the toilet which failed on the first day replaced with a new one. I could not complain Tony as she surveyed well enough and gave me 6 happy years of ownership, lost very little on the sale 

23 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Managed by a company who maintained her well, when they seized the engine on her last trip new engine and box fitted same with the toilet which failed on the first day replaced with a new one. I could not complain Tony as she surveyed well enough and gave me 6 happy years of ownership, lost very little on the sale 

So it was a company managed boat and those are far more likely to be properly maintained etc.

On 30/05/2020 at 14:59, mrsmelly said:

Put a house on the market yesterday, went live at 3pm. We have 5 viewings booked already for monday and tuesday. All this in a bankrupt country cos of B----- and Covid.

Are you going to post a link so we can all see the wonderful opportunity this represents?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Are you going to post a link so we can all see the wonderful opportunity this represents?

It does sound rather special. I, too, would like to have a look.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

We have 16 bookings as a of 1200 yesterday, all taking place mon to thursday. Isnt it good news that things are moving again. I wouldnt know how to post a link lol.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

It does sound rather special. I, too, would like to have a look.

Its not special in condition but unique as in not modern,  off the shelf clone housing. Its sits in a large garden with uniterupted views to the side and rear over fields at the edge of green belt. The stupid thing is that for every one pound my dad gave for it we will get a thousand back, even if we drop it a few grand. This is how ludicrous the housing market has become, nobodys wages have risen over a thousand times since 1953.

42 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We have 16 bookings as a of 1200 yesterday, all taking place mon to thursday. Isnt it good news that things are moving again. I wouldnt know how to post a link lol.

Its not special in condition but unique as in not modern,  off the shelf clone housing. Its sits in a large garden with uniterupted views to the side and rear over fields at the edge of green belt. The stupid thing is that for every one pound my dad gave for it we will get a thousand back, even if we drop it a few grand. This is how ludicrous the housing market has become, nobodys wages have risen over a thousand times since 1953.

That is because house prices are governed by market forces, so beloved by Tory Governments until it comes to wages. ?

I hope some of the viewings turn onto offers! When we put our last house on the market several years ago we  were optimistic at the initial interest but it transpired that because it was a "one off" house built at the turn of the century for the local pit manager  local people just wanted to see inside it. It sat for months before it sold. It was an interesting house in that it had more chimneys than it had rooms and we never quite worked out why. 

Hope you have more luck than we had and that you are inundated with offers

Haggis

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, haggis said:

It was an interesting house in that it had more chimneys than it had rooms and we never quite worked out why.

Symmetry. It was important to Victorian designers. 

12 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/fellows-morton-clayton-70-traditional/636754

A tad too long for the Calder & Hebble where I intend to more it, but this caught my eye :)

This smacks of Bring Out Another Thousand, nice for the history and I hope it goes to a good home.

Need a couple of tins of Brasso too :)

Lovely boat for the right owner. 

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 14:46, cuthound said:

That is because house prices are governed by market forces, so beloved by Tory Governments until it comes to wages. ?

Wages are the first to respond to market forces. If demand exceeds supply, then they rise, if supply exceeds demand, then they fall, and it happens lot quicker in a free market than the cossetted public sector where employers are under no financial restraint as they just increase taxes.

Why do we get a hull survey if we don't understand the report!!! That's not the question, it is what does this mean?

"Aft chine edges are worn back to the chine welds"

"10mm down to 9mm outboard edge"

6.9 at port aft chine and 5.1 at STBD Aft chine.

Widespread pitting on middle of bottom up to 3.5mm deep"

Am I about to by a submarine?

7 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

It means that the sacrificial strip (small shelf protruding from the base plate that is designed to stop you wearing the edge of the base plate when dragging it along concrete walls etc) is totally worn away and any further 'abrasion' will start to wear metal away from where the sides join the base plate.

Enough abrasion and, yes, it will become a submarine, but it is a simple enough job to get a boatyard to re-weld a new strip.

Pits of 3.5mm are a major concern if the hull is only 4mm thick, but if it is one of the newer 12mm thick base plates then it of less concern.

3.5mm pits are relatively huge and it would be advisable to have them filled.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Why do we get a hull survey if we don't understand the report!!! That's not the question, it is what does this mean?

"10mm down to 9mm outboard edge"

6.9 at port aft chine and 5.1 at STBD Aft chine.

Widespread pitting on middle of bottom up to 3.5mm deep"

It means that when coming into the bank the bit you are stood on hit the bank a lot and wore it away! Mine was the same they welded bits of steel on to protect it. The pitting is a bit strange but can be welded up as well 

Thank you both for that.

I suppose as a long term hirer, especially at first when I would scrape my way into a mooring spot as come back to haunt me :)

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The pitting is a bit strange but can be welded up as well 

This was the bit that frightened me the most, if major overplaying is required then I may walk away, unless I can get some warranty on the plating not allowing ingress to cause problems later on

or am I being too cautious?

Edited by AWETHEAYET
last comment
  • Greenie 1

Quit thi' mitherin'! :D

If it's 10mm in places then it's a 10mm baseplate - or at least it was when new.  Where it's been ground away by rock and concrete it needs a bit adding back in.

Where the 3.5mm pits are it's still thicker than my baseplate was 40 years ago (mine was 1/4" plate, so just over 6mm).  The wording from your surveyor doesn't sound like it needs overplating at all, and "widespread pitting" could mean "not too close together" or could mean "lots of it" - speak to the surveyor and ask him.

Yes it makes sense to get the pits welded up, and you do need to find what was causing it - does the survey offer any hints?

Your surveyor should have given an indicative cost to put these things right, and if you made an offer "subject to survey" you now get to see if the seller will make it all good or just knock some money off so you can get it all sorted.

• 1 month later...

Black Prince ex-hire-boat-owner here, I'd highly recommend a hire boat purchase, particularly if you're a first time owner. Can't speak for all hire boat manufacturers nor can I speak for all of the boats, but I would definitely consider another Black Prince. 

She has a bumps and bruises that's for sure, but is built like a tank - the reinforcement in the bow is something to behold! In our first fortnight of owning her we were rammed at full speed amidships by a hire boater - there was barely a chip in the paintwork. In some sense going through the wringer and only having a few dents is more reassuring than a boat that's in pristine condition. Obviously a survey is essential - luckily our surveyor said that the dents are all cosmetic.

What did you decide, in the end? 

• Greenie 1