Purchasing an Ex Hire Boat, whats your view?

huami

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Moi aussi.

The only thing I can think of is that hire boats do not have tubs of flowers, herbs etc. on the roof. So, if your boat is and looks like a hire boat, th epresence of such a rooftop garden will show people that it isn't - though I can't quite see how that matters.

I think you have it there, Mike.  Although the people who don't respect hire boats are people whose respect I wouldn't want, if you see what I mean.

• Greenie 3

had an interesting encounter in a wide lock once. My boat (ex hire) and painted in a similar scheme to several hire fleets but slightly different colours waited in the lock for an on coming private boat to join us. That boat hit us with a hell of a bang and the steerer blithely said  "its a contact sport" without any apology. When I asked him if he would like me to reciprocate in the next lock because I do not like my boat being rammed like that he apologised and said as way of explanation "I thought is was a hire boat". Plonker.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

"I thought is was a hire boat". Plonker.

Very well restrained Sir.    I think I might have been tempted to reply with a more nautical reply!   The odd scrape as you enter locks is to be expected and even the odd bash...but always with an apoligy at the very least!

On 30/10/2019 at 02:48, Gayzingalone said:

Luckily at my age I am allowed to be "Baffled" .... (and it often happens!), but I am waiting for someones wise words to explain it.

Everyone have a nice day,

Neil

Because when the boat was new sparking and with no accruements we found private boaters took us as a hire boat. 

Two things happened we were treated with distain or told we could not do all sorts of things, (i.e. being told we could not moor on a water point before we had time to get the hose out) some well meaning but other stuff self serving.

On 29/10/2019 at 16:29, Glynn said:

I wouldnt buy one ( personal choice)

Ive seen too many of them smashes into stone walls & bridge holes and sunk in locks.

Out of water survey would show signs of twattery

On 29/10/2019 at 16:17, Fender151 said:

Hi Neil,

It depends to a large extent on what type of boat your looking for, you won't find a trad ex-hire boat.

Unless you buy from a company such as Norbury wharf

• 6 months later...
On 30/10/2019 at 12:42, Tony Brooks said:

had an interesting encounter in a wide lock once. My boat (ex hire) and painted in a similar scheme to several hire fleets but slightly different colours waited in the lock for an on coming private boat to join us. That boat hit us with a hell of a bang and the steerer blithely said  "its a contact sport" without any apology. When I asked him if he would like me to reciprocate in the next lock because I do not like my boat being rammed like that he apologised and said as way of explanation "I thought is was a hire boat". Plonker.

Sorry Tony I know this is a post from a while back but I'm in the position, after over 10 years of hiring, to now buy my own boat and was looking at ex- hire for family layout, I have over the years seen a deterioration in attitudes towards hire boats so really go with your "plonker"  assessment of this attitude.

Quick question to all, when buying a boat, is it like buying a second hand car, you can make an offer lower than advertised price and then settle on a mutually agreed price, subject to a survey of course then negotiations start again.

What is a typical low offer, medium offer etc. 15% less 10% less what ever?

Others will, I hope, chip in. As I have only bought and sold one boat I do not have much experience. I think its normal to make an offer but I don't think there is any typical reduction. It should all depend on how you or your advisor/surveyor value the boat and how much you feel you will need to spend on it.

Just like with cars you get a lot of dreamers, chancers and tyre kickers so if you make an offer the vendor thinks is derisory they may well refuse to have anything more to do with you. I did that with one potential purchaser.

Yes generally you make an offer and come to an arrangement based on work your surveyor finds etc. Not all work this way though, so if you buy a boat from Whilton Marina for example they wont budge so much on price but they will do the work the surveyor finds (and often a bit more besides)....

7 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Quick question to all, when buying a boat, is it like buying a second hand car, you can make an offer lower than advertised price and then settle on a mutually agreed price, subject to a survey of course then negotiations start again.

In the current market (and for the last few years) there is a lot of 'disposable income' floating about in the economy with the ability to now release your pension pot, redundancy money, 'downsizing' your house etc that correctly priced, and good condition boats will sell within hours at the asking price.

There will be some overpriced, 'scrap' about that has not sold. I remember putting in an offer for a boat at 25% below the asking price. It was refused.

The boat had been for sale in a broker for over 5 years - the seller was non-negotiable and obviously wasn't in desperate need of the money.

It may have been worth the asking price when first up for sale, but the engine  / gearbox / generator had not run for 5 years, the engine looked to be a 'heap of rust', it was full of 'muck dust and cobwebs' but I could see potential if it had a lot of money spent on it.

You can make an offer but don't be surprised if it is rejected.

12 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Sorry Tony I know this is a post from a while back but I'm in the position, after over 10 years of hiring, to now buy my own boat and was looking at ex- hire for family layout, I have over the years seen a deterioration in attitudes towards hire boats so really go with your "plonker"  assessment of this attitude.

What is a typical low offer, medium offer etc. 15% less 10% less what ever?

A lot depends on the condition of the boat and in particular how long it's been on the market.

In general the poorer the condition and the longer it's been on sale the lower the offer.

What we are reading on here at the moment however is despite the 'plague' (or maybe because of it)  boats are moving quite to very quickly. So rather than lose a boat that one really likes it's probably best to offer say within 5% of the asking price or even just pitch in at the asking price if your heart is really set on it IMHO.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

What we are reading on here at the moment however is despite the 'plague' (or maybe because of it)  boats are moving quite to very quickly. So rather than lose a boat that one really likes it's probably best to offer say within 5% of the asking price or even just pitch in at the asking price if your heart is really set on it IMHO.

Lots of things are selling fast, Hot tubs, Bikes and even dogs

I would have said if it was a good boat (ie not one that has been hanging round for a long time...and reasonably priced) then offer 10% less and settle on 5%. Seems par for the course. However, looking at demand this last week and the number of peeps viewing, there may not be many discounts! The last two boats in our marina on sale with the on site broker were sold on Wednesday. One of them is moored near us. The owner was up yesterday to do some last minute repairs and said he didnt know which one of the four peeps who had offered had actually got the boat (subject to survey of course). I assume it went for the asking price. We dropped our price by 5% to close the sale of our boat the week before the lockdown. I think we would have got 10% more if it went on the market this week. Talk to the brokers. If they are good they will give you a realistic picture of the market.

I expect the with the current interest (peeps spending granny's inheritance) will mean prices go up so you may well be back to offering 10% less!

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

A lot depends on the condition of the boat and in particular how long it's been on the market.

In general the poorer the condition and the longer it's been on sale the lower the offer.

Put a house on the market yesterday, went live at 3pm. We have 5 viewings booked already for monday and tuesday. All this in a bankrupt country cos of B----- and Covid.

• Greenie 3

23 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

If you make a silly offer to start with, you can always make another, slighty less silly.

A 'silly offer' can often offend, I have told folks to forget it, and it sounds as if Tony (post #58) has done the same.

If you under value the boat by a 'daft amount' then do not be surprised if they take offence and tell you to 'stuff it'.

(As I will no doubt be reminded - I offered a seller £80,000 less than his asking price, because as it stood with missing paperwork it was not saleable in Europe, yes it was accepted as the seller knew I was correct in the valuation).

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I would have said if it was a good boat (ie not one that has been hanging round for a long time...and reasonably priced) then offer 10% less and settle on 5%. Seems par for the course. However, looking at demand this last week and the number of peeps viewing, there may not be many discounts! The last two boats in our marina on sale with the on site broker were sold on Wednesday. One of them is moored near us. The owner was up yesterday to do some last minute repairs and said he didnt know which one of the four peeps who had offered had actually got the boat (subject to survey of course). I assume it went for the asking price. We dropped our price by 5% to close the sale of our boat the week before the lockdown. I think we would have got 10% more if it went on the market this week. Talk to the brokers. If they are good they will give you a realistic picture of the market.

I expect the with the current interest (peeps spending granny's inheritance) will mean prices go up so you may well be back to offering 10% less!

This^^^^

When I saw my boat it had only just arrived at the brokers and had not been advertised, so I wasn't in a strong position to negotiate.

It was in exceptional condition apart from faded paint and deteriorating powder coating to mushrooms, windows and other bits that should be brass or brass effect.

I offered 10% less and had it rejected, but then offered 5% less and had the offer accepted.

The survey found nothing wrong, other than the charger part of the combi didn't work, so I negotiated another £2k off.

When I got the boat home and plugged in the shoreline the charger started working, so probably a tripped breaker at the dry dock....

Edited by cuthound

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

This^^^^

When I saw my boat it had only just arrived at the brokers and had not been advertised, so I wasn't in a strong position to negotiate.

It was in exceptional condition apart from faded paint and deteriorating powder coating to mushrooms, windows and other bits that should be brass or brass effect.

I offered 10% less and had it rejected, but then offered 5% less and had the offer accepted.

The survey found nothing wrong, other than the charger part of the combi didn't work, so I negotiated another £2k off.

When I got the boat home and plugged in the shoreline the charger started working, so probably a tripped breaker at the dry dock....

So you sent the seller their 2k back?.......?????? ??

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Put a house on the market yesterday, went live at 3pm. We have 5 viewings booked already for monday and tuesday. All this in a bankrupt country cos of B----- and Covid.

Will be interesting to know if they put in a realistic offer or try and take the piss. 

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

(As I will no doubt be reminded - I offered a seller £80,000 less than his asking price, because as it stood with missing paperwork it was not saleable in Europe, yes it was accepted as the seller knew I was correct in the valuation).

But he was prepared to put it up for sale for £80k more than it was worth. Its a case of offering what you think the boat is worth and walking away if its not accepted, I am sure you wouldn't have paid £80K more for your boat

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Will be interesting to know if they put in a realistic offer or try and take the piss. 

Good luck. 

Its now 7 viewings. They may try to take the piss but they will lose as we will just keep it. In fairness its a one off built in 1626 stone cottage so anyone wanting a dooer upper like this they are rare as rocking horse droppings, not a standard 3 bed semi or whatever. Just goes to show how much interest there is out there though. I reckon some of the buyers will cry off when they see what needs doing but hey ho. Prices are obscene and we need a crash anyway realy somewhere along the line. We have the bill of sale from my dads purchase in 1953 and it is now valued over a THOUSAND times more than he paid for it, bloomin ridiculous.

14 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

So you sent the seller their 2k back?.......?????? ??

Would he have paid me to repair it if it had been working at the time of the survey but not when I picked up the boat? ?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Would he have paid me to repair it if it had been working at the time of the survey but not when I picked up the boat? ?

He should have had the confidence to challenge the surveyor’s assertion and come down to the boat to prove it works. The fact that he didn’t shows that either he didn’t care or couldn’t be bothered (which I guess amounts to the same thing). 

• Greenie 1