The Bargee

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

• 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, Heartland said:

At the end the motor and butty are renamed HEMEL and CHRISTINE, what WERE the proper identities?

Banstead & Bellerophon (built 1936). Bellerophon became Iona and is the horse drawn trip boat at Godalming on the Wey Navigation. Iona also appeared in an episode of Coronation Street.

Edited by Flyboy

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Bellerophon became Iona and is the horse drawn trip boat at Godalming on the Wey Navigation. Iona also appeared in an episode of Coronation Street.

I never knew that. I took a group of C.E. pupils on it some years ago as a History field trip (we also went to a watermill fairly close by).

18 hours ago, Athy said:

I never knew that. I took a group of C.E. pupils on it some years ago as a History field trip (we also went to a watermill fairly close by).

My brother knows the owner operator of Iona. During one of my visits to Hampshire we went to meet her and have a look at the horses at the stables and then onto the boat in Godalming. What a really nice pleasant lady she is. 

We then went to lunch at the little but very flavourful cafe at Godalming boats. 
Just a small claim to fame that I have.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My brother knows the owner operator of Iona. During one of my visits to Hampshire we went to meet her and have a look at the horses at the stables and then onto the boat in Godalming. What a really nice pleasant lady she is. 

We then went to lunch at the little but very flavourful cafe at Godalming boats. 
Just a small claim to fame that I have.

Said school excursion was in 2002; would it have been the same owner back then?