Still Lead in the Old Pencil

cuthound

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Apparently, it'll miss, (Unless that's fake news, designed to keep the plebs in order ?)

https://www.space.com/asteroid-apophis-2029-flyby-planetary-defense.html

OMG, what if they have got it wrong? What if they start messing with it by landing on it and directing it nearer earth? Better put it in the diary to fill up with water and diesel the day before.

Edited by Dr Bob

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Better put it in the diary to fill up with water and diesel the day before.

On a similar note, if we all die in our sleep, is it true we won't know anything about it until the following morning?

On 29/10/2019 at 15:48, tree monkey said:

Slightly off topic but this is a problem that needs to be addressed, personally I think if a new mass market product is introduced the recycling infrastructure should be in place before it is introduced, not wait until the use becomes universal 

I'm afraid this illustrates a lack of understanding regarding the economics of recycling. In a market economy a market must exist for any recycled material (recyclate) before it can be recycled. Recycling itself is an industrial process with it's own set of environmental impacts. If there's no market for a particular recyclate and nobody wants to buy it then there's absolutely no point recycling it, and in fact that would just amount to an overall environmental negative. Unfortunately when it comes to generating markets for new recycled materials enough of the virgin material must first be in use for a recycled market to be created.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I'm afraid this illustrates a lack of understanding regarding the economics of recycling. In a market economy a market must exist for any recycled material (recyclate) before it can be recycled. Recycling itself is an industrial process with it's own set of environmental impacts. If there's no market for a particular recyclate and nobody wants to buy it then there's absolutely no point recycling it, and in fact that would just amount to an overall environmental negative. Unfortunately when it comes to generating markets for new recycled materials enough of the virgin material must first be in use for a recycled market to be created.

That's how it is now, I was trying to suggest that the disposal of any new product should be part of the design process.

Recycling should be a basic part of the product. 

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Here's a big negative of recycling......dumping on poorer countries who do not have the enhanced protections the Western world enjoys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50392807

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Here's a big negative of recycling......dumping on poorer countries who do not have the enhanced protections the Western world enjoys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50392807

Which is sorta what I am saying, recycling should be built into the product, the design and its disposal, the fact that we dump our rubbish on other countries is a failure of the system as it is now.

On 09/11/2019 at 12:44, Mike the Boilerman said:

On a similar note, if we all die in our sleep, is it true we won't know anything about it until the following morning?

If I die in my sleep and there’s nobody here to wake me am I truly dead?