Freestanding LPG Cooker vs Built In Pros and Cons????

Featured Posts

Depends how long you intend to keep/use the boat, a proper fitted cooker with bells and whistles will be a lot better, more expensive. It should make  the boat easier to sell.

Edited by LadyG

Many/most dedicated boat cookers are varing degrees of a bit poor, but it's easy to get one that fits, has 12v ignition and has the mandatory appropriate flame failure devices. Domestic cookers are frequently too deep for a narrowboat kitchen, have 240 volt ignition, dont have the mandatory, appropriate flame failure devices.  You really need to resolve  this issue so that you can plan your galley based on something that will at least pass BSS. A search here will reveal a multitude of threads discussing this subject.

I prefer free standing. There is a huge choice of proper cookers out there. We had on this boat the usual flimsy very expensive slightly too small built in boat cooker. It was getting scabby so I bought a freestanding 50cm wide by 60cm standard domestic cooker for half the price of the crappy  boat replacement. Half a days work, in fact much less and it looks neat, fits great with just cutting 10cm thingies deeper into the worktop and edging with black things from B and Q. Easy peasy.

IMG_20191029_144544.jpg

• Happy 1

Our previous narrowboat had a freestanding cooker. Our current narrowboat has built-in waist-level oven with eye-level grill, and we have a separate three burner hob. It's great for our ageing backs that we no longer have to bend down to use the oven. 

22 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I prefer free standing. There is a huge choice of proper cookers out there. We had on this boat the usual flimsy very expensive slightly too small built in boat cooker. It was getting scabby so I bought a freestanding 50cm wide by 60cm standard domestic cooker for half the price of the crappy  boat replacement. Half a days work, in fact much less and it looks neat, fits great with just cutting 10cm thingies deeper into the worktop and edging with black things from B and Q. Easy peasy.

IMG_20191029_144544.jpg

Just for clarity, that is NOT a "freestanding" cooker, it is what is classified in the trade as a "slot-in", or "Slide-in" cooker. 

The difference is the lip around the top edge designed to mate with the kitchen worktop surface, it will not have any wheels to assist with rolling it out for cleaning behind, and the sides will not be finished in smart looking decor standard enamel or paint. 

Just in case the OP doesn't notice the differences. 

Oh and it does not need to be connected with a flexi hose as it is not designed to be moved around by the householder.

11 minutes ago, dor said:

Looks like a free-stander to me, with black trims on the worktop edges. Hence gaps.

What gaps?

Actually on closer inspection you are right! That is just worktop edging!

There is then, a specific tyep of cooker where the hob surface has a near identical lip all around which screws to the worktop cut-out, specifically to prevent that 'food drop' problem. I mistook mrselly's cooker for one of them. My apologies Tim, I was wrong yet again!!

17 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Thanks for clarifying I presume it fits snug alleviating to some degree the food drop issue

This exactly! 

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What gaps?

Actually on closer inspection you are right! That is just worktop edging!

There is then, a specific tyep of cooker where the hob surface has a near identical lip all around which screws to the worktop cut-out, specifically to prevent that 'food drop' problem. I mistook mrselly's cooker for one of them. My apologies Tim, I was wrong yet again!!

This exactly! 

No probs Mike I have been wrong many times in my life!! I have even been married twice!! Yes its free standing, I am no carpenter but twass easy enough to butcher the slot the previous fitted cooker was in and fit this cooker with some trim thingies ?  Just returned  from a day int pub so might not make sense lol, :unsure:

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No probs Mike I have been wrong many times in my life!! I have even been married twice!! Yes its free standing, I am no carpenter but twass easy enough to butcher the slot the previous fitted cooker was in and fit this cooker with some trim thingies ?  Just returned  from a day int pub so might not make sense lol, :unsure:

Only twice, you are allowed one mistake so that doesn't count

• Greenie 1