Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Babbling Brook now moored just up from us.

Ray is a great guy. Not met his wife but I’m sure she’s lovely too. They’ve explored the Manchester Ship Canal, Ouse, Derwent and Pocklington canal this year. Planning to cross the wash next year so no doubt they enjoy a challenge. 

9 hours ago, MHS said:

It went really well thank you. 

Wendy and I left Torksey and punched hard against the flow following Ray & Richard on Babbling Brook. We made Newark for lunchtime. Ray took his boat into Kings and ran Wendy back to West Stockwith to pick up her car. 

Richard then joined me in the trip up to Hazelford Lock, arriving at around 16.20. 

We left the lock at 07.00 today and headed for Nottingham. The flow was quick and manoeuvring onto lock landings from downstream tricky. 

The toughest stretch was Stoke to Holme locks. The flow there was around 5mph. We were doing just over 8 mph and therefore 3mph over the water. All went fine but just a bit nervous of fouling the prop just there. Arrived near Castle Marina at around 13.00. Relaxing now with a glass of wine and won’t/can’t go very far tomorrow. 

3A66B599-B044-43E1-A318-608306A9381F.MOV

Well done. You probably know,  but in case anyone else is hoping to go on the Trent, Cranfleet flood gates are back on-about 5 days after reopening. You won't be able to go further than Beeston for now. Don't rely on the flood guage at Beeston, it's been inaccurate since the hydro scheme was installed a couple of years ago? 

2 hours ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Well done. You probably know,  but in case anyone else is hoping to go on the Trent, Cranfleet flood gates are back on-about 5 days after reopening. You won't be able to go further than Beeston for now. Don't rely on the flood guage at Beeston, it's been inaccurate since the hydro scheme was installed a couple of years ago? 

Yes, Cranfleet will scupper our plans for a little while. It’s been quite an autumn & start to winter. 

Is the gauge at Beeston pessimistic, optimistic or just useless?

5 minutes ago, MHS said:

Yes, Cranfleet will scupper our plans for a little while. It’s been quite an autumn & start to winter. 

Whilst stuck there, there were a couple of days when it just inched into the amber. Looking at the flow there was no way I would go out, especially knowing that the flow speed increases just before Cranfleet.

Edited by pearley

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Whilst stuck there, there were a couple of days when it just inched into the amber. Looking at the flow there was no way I would go out, especially knowing that the flow speed increases just before Cranfleet.

Thank you. I will have a good look at it when I get up there. 

It's a month since the flood here,  I have to say if I had been on a safe area of water I would under no circumstances go out onto the trent until the water was at safe levels and all flood gates open, it's just to risky for me and I have had rubbish in the propeller on a big tide its scary when you have no control over what is happening 

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It's a month since the flood here,  I have to say if I had been on a safe area of water I would under no circumstances go out onto the trent until the water was at safe levels and all flood gates open, it's just to risky for me and I have had rubbish in the propeller on a big tide its scary when you have no control over what is happening 

It pays to have a spare prop for just such circumstances.

16-10-19c.jpg

• Greenie 1

On 08/12/2019 at 09:20, MHS said:

Optimistic. As pearley mentions later in this thread, it can show amber when the flow is far too fast for safe navigation. The hydro scheme draws water away from the lock cut 

The, 'gut' just before Cranfleet is a particular challenge when going against a fast flow. 

In any case, until Cranfleet flood gates reopen, there's no point going beyond Beeston or Nottingham where you have all facilities and shops. 

12 hours ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Optimistic. As pearley mentions later in this thread, it can show amber when the flow is far too fast for safe navigation. The hydro scheme draws water away from the lock cut 

The, 'gut' just before Cranfleet is a particular challenge when going against a fast flow. 

In any case, until Cranfleet flood gates reopen, there's no point going beyond Beeston or Nottingham where you have all facilities and shops. 

Whilst stuck there I spoke to 2 CRT men who were clearing the rubbish away from the top gates. They had manoeuvred s large branch to the small overflow weir and were waiting for the hydro to be shut off so the level would rise and take the branch down river. They reckoned it made a foot difference.

14 hours ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Cranfleet has now reopened. I reckon very briefly!!

I have no intention of going anywhere right now. Hopefully next week things may settle down a bit. 

1 hour ago, MHS said:

Cranfleet has now reopened. I reckon very briefly!!

I have no intention of going anywhere right now. Hopefully next week things may settle down a bit. 

I agree. With today's rain, Cranfleet unlikely to be open for long and Trent still flowing fast. 

Lincolnshire has been warned to expect flooding by the Environment agency which has put four alerts in place for different parts of the county.

The Environment Agency has issued two flood warnings for the Low Barlings in the Short Ferry area, as well as River Witham and associated fens from Woodhall Spa and Chapel Hill are most at risk. A flood warning states flooding is 'expected' and 'immediate action is required.

Flood alerts - which state flooding is possible and urge people to be prepared have been put in place for Barlings Eau and Duckpool Catchwater and the Lower River Witham.

Rain is forecast for the rest of this week, with showers over the next two days, with heavier rain set to hit Lincolnshire on Thursday and Friday.

Latest on flood warning for River Witham

River Witham and associated Fens from Woodhall Spa to Chapel Hill

Flooding is expected - immediate action required

The breach on the Timberland Delph remains, causing flooding of farm land. The current weather forecast is for unsettled rain showers over the next two days, Tuesday and Wednesday, and further heavy rainfall is currently expected Thursday and Friday. Low lying properties near Glebe Farm, on the Timberland Delph are at the greatest risk. Environment Agency staff and our contractors are assessing a repair and hope to start as soon as the ground conditions allow. We are managing water levels in the area by pumping the water out of the flooded cells. There is also a risk to properties in the area of Tattershall Farm Park. Do not walk on flood banks, avoid contact with flood water. Our staff and contractors will be working in the area to operate pumps, check the flood defences and assist the Emergency Services and Council.

0_Low-BarlingsShortferry-Floods-Lincolnshire-15-Nov-2019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cranfleet flood lock was finally opened at lunchtime today. The river level below Cranfleet lock is 2/3 the way up amber and dropping at last. 

Beeston is just showing green so we will hopefully be leaving there tomorrow or Tuesday. Am I right in thinking the fastest flow is in the final 500m or so before reaching the floating pontoon. 

1 hour ago, MHS said:

Cranfleet flood lock was finally opened at lunchtime today. The river level below Cranfleet lock is 2/3 the way up amber and dropping at last. 

Beeston is just showing green so we will hopefully be leaving there tomorrow or Tuesday. Am I right in thinking the fastest flow is in the final 500m or so before reaching the floating pontoon. 

Last 1/2 mile as the river is forced through the end of the red hill sandstone ridge.

Still looked a lot of water in the river as we came past Shardlow this afternoon.

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Last 1/2 mile as the river is forced through the end of the red hill sandstone ridge.

Still looked a lot of water in the river as we came past Shardlow this afternoon.

That’s what I thought.

The flow at that point at lunchtime today was around 3mph. That’s based on a highly technical measuring system. I used an average speed app on my phone while walking next to a floating piece of wood!!

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, MHS said:

That’s based on a highly technical measuring system. I used an average speed app on my phone while walking next to a floating piece of wood!!

That failed for me above Osney lock in Oxford a couple of says ago: I couldn't keep up with the flow with breaking into a jog. The Thames is quite scary ATM.

MP.

18 hours ago, MHS said:

Interesting. I looked at the Beeston guage after 2 yesterday afternoon and it was still on amber. Beeston guage is inaccurate as the hydro scheme draws water away from the lock cut. CRT  know this but have done nothing about it. 

However, I'd be pretty sure it will be fine by Tuesday or even today as seems to be falling fast. . 

And yes. Matty has answered about the, 'gut', you will need to give your engine a bit of welly out when you get there. 

10 minutes ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Interesting. I looked at the Beeston guage after 2 yesterday afternoon and it was still on amber. Beeston guage is inaccurate as the hydro scheme draws water away from the lock cut. CRT  know this but have done nothing about it. 

However, I'd be pretty sure it will be fine by Tuesday or even today as seems to be falling fast. . 

And yes. Matty has answered about the, 'gut', you will need to give your engine a bit of welly out when you get there. 

By 15.00 yesterday it was just on green, though rather difficult to see as it was fairly grubby and weed covered. 2” of green showing this morning. We had a drive up to Cranfleet at 09.30, it was 1” into amber still. The flow in the gut looked rather quick, so we will wait tomorrrow when the levels are due to drop again. 

We are finally off the rivers. 12 weeks behind schedule and happy to be on the T&M.  Beeston to Cranfleet took 1hr 10mins with a strong flow against us. There was 200m or so of the “gut” which was very slow going but otherwise made swift progress. 

A25D60D0-8560-44A0-A42D-5EE2A4B63CAC.jpeg

• Greenie 1