Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

The Tanker left Rotherham last week having been stuck there for 3 weeks! Came back up yesterday but got stuck at Alwarke lock the day before on rubbish before the lock entrance, so it appears that its still a bit risky for deep drafted boats like the exol pride

The tanker is free again. The leisure boat floating lock landing at Aldwarke was damaged by the floods too. CaRT are helping boaters through the lock, if they have 24hrs notice beforehand. It is just below a weir and the turbulence must have been extreme. Probably dumped the mud where the tanker ran aground.  I've done this lock single handed without using the floating landing because I didn't notice it tucked round the corner, but it involves tying the boat to the wall, then climbing twenty feet plus up an iron ladder, so not for everyone, or in high water!

Jen

18 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The tanker is free again. The leisure boat floating lock landing at Aldwarke was damaged by the floods too. CaRT are helping boaters through the lock, if they have 24hrs notice beforehand. It is just below a weir and the turbulence must have been extreme. Probably dumped the mud where the tanker ran aground.  I've done this lock single handed without using the floating landing because I didn't notice it tucked round the corner, but it involves tying the boat to the wall, then climbing twenty feet plus up an iron ladder, so not for everyone, or in high water!

Jen

First time I used it I came from Doncaster so I saw it so we do use it mostly, I havent talked to the skipper as to what happened it was my mate at Exol that told me it had run aground, I will have a chat to the skipper next week to see how the Navigation is faring

We finally left West Stockwith basin today with another narrowboat heading for Torksey. There was little push from the incoming tide but we got there in 3hrs 20mins. Setting off tomorrow at dawn to get to Newark. It may well be a slow trip against the flow. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MHS said:

We finally left West Stockwith basin today with another narrowboat heading for Torksey. There was little push from the incoming tide but we got there in 3hrs 20mins. Setting off tomorrow at dawn to get to Newark. It may well be a slow trip against the flow. 

Don't forget all the locks above Cromwell are now DIY operation.

And Newark pontoon full unless they all close the gaps.

Edited by pearley

1 hour ago, MHS said:

Setting off tomorrow at dawn to get to Newark. It may well be a slow trip against the flow. 

You must have been desperate to get away from West Stockwith. 

I would suggest waiting a week ... except next week may be a bit damp.

50 minutes ago, MartynG said:

You must have been desperate to get away from West Stockwith. 

I would suggest waiting a week ... except next week may be a bit damp.

West Stockwith is a great place to be stuck. Very friendly moorers and good facilities. Had a couple of cracking meals at the White Hart. 

We have been on the Chesterfield for 2 months. Delayed long enough that we decided to go now. We didn’t want to wait for the next perfect tide 10 days away as the river is bound to be in flood again. 

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Don't forget all the locks above Cromwell are now DIY operation.

And Newark pontoon full unless they all close the gaps.

Have they left git gaps at Newark?

50 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Ring Cromwell as you set off from Torksey.

You may be aware the lock keeper goes off duty at 4pm.

We will be leaving at around 07.30 in the morning so hope to be there around lunchtime. 

8 minutes ago, MHS said:

West Stockwith is a great place to be stuck. Very friendly moorers and good facilities. Had a couple of cracking meals at the White Hart. 

We have been on the Chesterfield for 2 months. Delayed long enough that we decided to go now. We didn’t want to wait for the next perfect tide 10 days away as the river is bound to be in flood again. 

Have they left git gaps at Newark?

We will be leaving at around 07.30 in the morning so hope to be there around lunchtime. 

Git gaps, yes.

And, if you are heading upstream both Farndon and Fiskerton pontoons have a boat moored in the centre.

On the other hand plenty of space at Gunthorpe and Stoke.

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

Git gaps, yes.

And, if you are heading upstream both Farndon and Fiskerton pontoons have a boat moored in the centre.

On the other hand plenty of space at Gunthorpe and Stoke.

Thank you for the info. I’m hoping to get onto the Nottingham cut on Saturday night before the levels (may) rise again

51 minutes ago, MHS said:

Thank you for the info. I’m hoping to get onto the Nottingham cut on Saturday night before the levels (may) rise again

Plenty of room in Nottingham. If you have to be trapped for 6 weeks there are worse places to be.

Diesel 87ppl at Castle Marina if you need any.

Edited by pearley

18 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

You could always go into the marina in Newark, which is what we did a couple of years ago. Good moorings with electricity, washing machine on site. And 5 mins walk to Waitrose.

4 minutes to Aldi

5 minutes to the Malt Shovel (Sausage egg & chips £3, Sunday lunch £6)

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

You could always go into the marina in Newark, which is what we did a couple of years ago. Good moorings with electricity, washing machine on site. And 5 mins walk to Waitrose.

Lots of space here. Don't know if it's because many winter moorers are still stuck or if lots have left due to cost.

Just now, pearley said:

Lots of space here. Don't know if it's because many winter moorers are still stuck or if lots have left due to cost.

No - its because since the buy out by Lloyds bank they have increased the mooring fees - mine went up 23%, hence the move.

In the last couple of months 12 long time moorers (we had been there 9 years) have left losing them over £30,000 income. I did suggest to the regional manager that this would happen  when we were discussing our price-hike. They will lose far more than they have gained.

7 'Fat-Boats' and 5 NB's have left with apparently several more planning on leaving.

It is a super little marina, fairly well maintained (with promises of much more), secure marina in a very convenient spot for both cruising and shopping. Its a shame that they decide to price it out of the market.

It is now the highest priced on the River for both moorings and diesel.

Image result for sad face

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No - its because since the buy out by Lloyds bank they have increased the mooring fees - mine went up 23%, hence the move.

In the last couple of months 12 long time moorers (we had been there 9 years) have left losing them over £30,000 income. I did suggest to the regional manager that this would happen  when we were discussing our price-hike. They will lose far more than they have gained.

7 'Fat-Boats' and 5 NB's have left with apparently several more planning on leaving.

It is a super little marina, fairly well maintained (with promises of much more), secure marina in a very convenient spot for both cruising and shopping. Its a shame that they decide to price it out of the market.

It's sad that Alan kill the goose that lays the golden egg! Seen the same thing in garages that have changed hands6

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If bought by or with a bank then I'd be surprised if the business calculation was not well considered and thorough - even if a bit ruthless.

Looking at Google aerial view it looks as if there about 100 berths and at the time of the imagery they were around 95% occupied. If all the fees went up by 23% then that would outweigh the loss of 20% customers  - always happens with a significant price hike. Unlikely that there will be no newcomers, given that it looks like a popular place with high occupancy. It may well be that the new owners are re-positioning themselves in the market, taking into account their longer terms investment plans. They may well have anticipated or wanted a small level of losses.

Or they may have just got it plain wrong.

Only time will tell! But don't ever expect a bank-run business to be philanthropic!

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The odd thing is that the cost of our winter mooring here is only a few pounds more than last year.

We met Peter - the ReMap man - at Nottingham last month who said he had left Kings due to cost, and I think he had more than one boat here. He's now CCing though on the pontoon at Newark for now.

Edited by pearley

40 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Looking at Google aerial view it looks as if there about 100 berths and at the time of the imagery they were around 95% occupied. If all the fees went up by 23% then that would outweigh the loss of 20% customers 

It may be an old Google picture. I went last week to take back the security Key-fobs and I'd say that it is probably no more than 75% occupancy (and that includes quite a few 'winter moorers' that came in in October).

Previously the widebeam surcharge had never been implemented despite 50% of moorings being laid out for 'fatties' (12-14 foot spacing) and impossible to put 2 NBs in the same spot. No negotiation, no graduated increases 'it now applies in full'.

NB fees increased by a fair amount also.

The website used to show the mooring fees for each of their marinas but these pages were removed immediately after the 'take-over'. Marina fees are now 'on application'.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Make it an non profit business and may then be ripe for redevelopment.

It went really well thank you. 

Wendy and I left Torksey and punched hard against the flow following Ray & Richard on Babbling Brook. We made Newark for lunchtime. Ray took his boat into Kings and ran Wendy back to West Stockwith to pick up her car. 

Richard then joined me in the trip up to Hazelford Lock, arriving at around 16.20. 

We left the lock at 07.00 today and headed for Nottingham. The flow was quick and manoeuvring onto lock landings from downstream tricky. 

The toughest stretch was Stoke to Holme locks. The flow there was around 5mph. We were doing just over 8 mph and therefore 3mph over the water. All went fine but just a bit nervous of fouling the prop just there. Arrived near Castle Marina at around 13.00. Relaxing now with a glass of wine and won’t/can’t go very far tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, MHS said:

It went really well thank you. 

Wendy and I left Torksey and punched hard against the flow following Ray & Richard on Babbling Brook. We made Newark for lunchtime. 

That's good going considering you were against the flow for the entire journey...and there was plenty of fresh on.