Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, MartynG said:

Sounds like down south it has just been a bit damp. 

I'm not (yet) aware that anyone's house is flooded in the south, however it's rained more than usual down here, the Thames is on red boards, and the NT posted this today to say that the whole of the Wey is in flood too:

https://riverweyconditionsnt.wordpress.com/2019/11/15/15-11-2019-river-in-flood-dangerous-conditions/

But it's all in Surrey, so according to Jeremy Corbyn the government will sort out any problems in a jiffy.

• Unimpressed 1

On 14/11/2019 at 13:45, David Mack said:

During the Boxing Day 2015 floods the River Calder flooded into the Rochdale and Calder & Hebble Canals in several places.This resulted in the destruction of a couple of bridges, complete washout of the canal embankment and the sinking of a number of boats.

Plus this one at Park Nook on the C&H.  The owner was on board when it was washed over the lock and he steered for the trees to stop the boat.

Park Nook 1.jpg

• Horror 4

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

PS: To sum up the south better, I thought I'd see how the Medway is doing; that's on red too:

http://allingtonlock.co.uk/

But the Kennet appears to be not too bad?:

https://riverlevels.uk/flood-warning-river-kennet-from-thatcham-down-to-reading#.Xc6wbsD7TmY

Yes can confirm the Kennet is fine. The reach through Reading has been on and off red boards but above that, although the flow is fast it is perfectly navigable. I suspect this has to do with it mostly being fed from chalk aquifers rather than surface run off so it takes time to rise in response to rain. I'm getting increasingly concerned about being able to leave it in the spring!

55 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Plus this one at Park Nook on the C&H.  The owner was on board when it was washed over the lock and he steered for the trees to stop the boat.

Park Nook 1.jpg

Serious stuff to say the least glad the owner is alive to talk about it

• Greenie 1

Chapel Hill on the Witham looks like it will hit record river levels in the next day or so.

They are already suffering damage to the moorings.

75543713-10157502770132745-4659881521493

A boat on the Boston motor boat club moorings has sadly sunk but it will be weeks before that will be recovered due to river levels and flow.

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Chapel Hill on the Witham looks like it will hit record river levels in the next day or so.

75543713-10157502770132745-4659881521493

A boat on the Boston motor boat club moorings has sadly sunk but it will be weeks before that will be recovered due to river levels and flow.

Is NC still on dry land? 

21 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Very difficult for the owners - but - the moorings are pretty much all individually 'home made'. We looked at mooring there (some years ago) but decided that it was all a bit 'ramshackle', and I wasn't sure I could build a sufficiently strong pontoon / mooring out of scaffold poles, pallets and blue barrels.

There was talk of having 'proper' pontoons fitted but it looks as if it never happened.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

Is NC still on dry land? 

Yes and staying that way until Spring. 

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Very difficult for the owners - but - the moorings are pretty much all individually 'home made'. We looked at mooring there (some years ago) but decided that it was all a bit 'ramshackle', and I wasn't sure I could build a sufficiently strong pontoon / mooring out of scaffold poles, pallets and blue barrels.

There was talk of having 'proper' pontoons fitted but it looks as if it never happened.

Yes its all a bit ramshackle down there.

Apparently the police have been warning boat owners and home owners in the dog dyke area that they may be evacuated at high tide tonight.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Billinghay Skirth has overtopped at North Kyme today.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/641852842517484/permalink/2748433168526097/

More water heading to the Witham.

It actually broke the bank last Thursday.

The EA were there with tarpaulins, sand bags, pallets and '1-tonne' big bags. They contained most of it but it flooded the Billinghay - North Kyme Road.

Yesterday it was still lapping at the top but the EA repairs had held.

The road and dyke is above the fields and it is now filling up the field on the North side.

2 hours ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Trent seems very reluctant to fall. There's a lot of water about. 

Issued yesterday from CRT. I thought about walking along this road in June (until the lockkeeper told me Cromwell village was rather disappointing) and it was a long way above the river!

"Due to the navigation going into flood, the access road to Cromwell Lock is now under water. 
Therefore, Cromwell Lock will be unmanned over the weekend, while we wait for the water levels to come back down. 
Boaters cannot use Cromwell Lock at the moment, due to the navigation being in flood. 
If customers need to contact a Lock Keeper over the weekend, please speak with our Lock Keeper at Torksey Lock".

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Issued yesterday from CRT. I thought about walking along this road in June (until the lockkeeper told me Cromwell village was rather disappointing) and it was a long way above the river!

"Due to the navigation going into flood, the access road to Cromwell Lock is now under water. 
Therefore, Cromwell Lock will be unmanned over the weekend, while we wait for the water levels to come back down. 
Boaters cannot use Cromwell Lock at the moment, due to the navigation being in flood. 
If customers need to contact a Lock Keeper over the weekend, please speak with our Lock Keeper at Torksey Lock".

Regardless of roads being flooded or not there is not much point in Cromwell being manned at present .

37 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Our Oxford correspondent has been in touch again. See photos of the pontoon below Isis lock and the river below Osney lock. 

MP

Two days ago (Thursday) I was chatting to an EA chap who was having a look around at Isis Lock. The pound above the lock was quite high (as shown in the Oxford correspondant's first photo) and the weirs were flowing strongly. EA chap said the most of the extra water in the canal pound had come from drainage from the Oxford area. I should have asked him about Dukes Cut and whether that was feeding into the canal but I didn't. Later that day I noticed that the paddles were up at both ends of Isis Lock, presumably on purpose. At about midnight that evening the pound was about four inches below it's normal everyday level. Seeing as how I was moored on that pound and I didn't fancy coming to rest on the bottom I went down to the lock and closed the top paddle. The weirs wern't flowing at all. The pound recovered overnight to its normal level and the weirs were flowing as normal. Today (Saturday) the paddles are both up again but this time the pound is retaining it's level. The drop at Isis lock is just about six inches or so at the moment.

On 09/11/2019 at 21:49, Scholar Gypsy said:

There was about 3-4' variation on each tide when we were stuck there in June. OK for the boats on the pontoons (though the water point disappeared under water once) but no fun at all for the boats moored nearer to the lock.

Any Pic's Simon ?