Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, robtheplod said:

As a newbie am I right in thinking most canals would be ok here as they have overflows - assuming where they are overflowing is not flooded?  Most notices seem to be of rivers...

During the Boxing Day 2015 floods the River Calder flooded into the Rochdale and Calder & Hebble Canals in several places.This resulted in the destruction of a couple of bridges, complete washout of the canal embankment and the sinking of a number of boats.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Quiet a few canals have short river sections (eg Trent and Mersey at Alrewas, already mentioned) and these are liable to flooding or becoming impassable. 

Even if the canal doesn't have a river section, it can share a valley with a river and if it is not high enough above the normal river level, a flooding river can also flood the canal. @David Mack's example of the Calder & Hebble a few years ago. The canal shares the bottom of a deep valley with the river and in places there isn't much height difference between the two. There is a wide catchment in the hills around that quickly funnels the water in to the river.

Jen

40 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Looks like it has been Nottinghams turn for the flooding today which means plenty of water to head down the Trent. 

River gauge at Colwick has dropped a little . That may be because the sluices have been opened. 

14 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Our Oxford correspondent sends this picture of Isis lock this morning. I wonder if the river is coming over Dukes cut lock and feeding the canal?

MP.

29394637-0679-4f44-ae2c-c2fd260e7a8c.jpeg

That sounds quite plausible to me. Normally as I remember it, Dukes Cut lock takes a boat about one foot up from the river onto the canal, but with the whole non-tidal Thames on red boards, there will be a lot of water flowing into Dukes Cut from the river. That should mostly be flowing on out of it into the two weir streams past Kings lock, but I suppose that level will be higher than usual, maybe high enough to also flow into the canal, and hence on down to Isis lock. Maybe we have a forum member on the spot who can take a look?

Another theory I can suggest is that as the Cherwell has been flooding into the canal further up, that water will be finding its way via all the lock bywashes all the way down to Isis lock. Then probably over the bottom gate and back into the river, assuming enough water is escaping over the weir at Osney lock.

I get the feeling this has been a particularly soggy autumn. With so much rain lately all over the place, I imagine many canals will have higher water levels than usual, with water flowing along them and down the bywashes. People not used to rivers will be needing to moor as if they are on one, with the upstream end well secured and a bit of slack in the lines.

I'm off for an afternoon on the Regent's canal on Saturday, and the forecast is for more rain, notably in the south east on Friday morning, so I expect to see some water flowing along there.

6 hours ago, Peter X said:

I get the feeling this has been a particularly soggy autumn. 

Around here, Newark, we have certainly seen the most prolonged period of flooding and flood risk that comes to mind.

The A1 being closed due to water flowing off fields (last week) was not something I recall happening  previously.

It is concerning the the slightest rain impacts immediately on river levels since the land is totally swamped.

A little further North is under water, as are large areas of Lincolnshire.

Sounds like down south it has just been a bit damp. 

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

And now up again. And predicted to rise even more.

Yes but predicted to be no worse than a week ago  and levels falling again tomorrow. 

Looks like the EA regulated the sluices at Colwick appropriately. 

7 hours ago, Peter X said:

That sounds quite plausible to me. Normally as I remember it, Dukes Cut lock takes a boat about one foot up from the river onto the canal, but with the whole non-tidal Thames on red boards, there will be a lot of water flowing into Dukes Cut from the river. That should mostly be flowing on out of it into the two weir streams past Kings lock, but I suppose that level will be higher than usual, maybe high enough to also flow into the canal, and hence on down to Isis lock. Maybe we have a forum member on the spot who can take a look?

Another theory I can suggest is that as the Cherwell has been flooding into the canal further up, that water will be finding its way via all the lock bywashes all the way down to Isis lock. Then probably over the bottom gate and back into the river, assuming enough water is escaping over the weir at Osney lock.

The lock at Dukes Cut takes you down from the river to the canal. The other set of gates, pointing the other way, were removed a long time ago (pre-1970). But it may well be underwater anyway, as you say. 

The Cherwell is indeed overflowing into the canal at Shipton-on-Cherwell, and that will be causing problems. (I can't find the photo I saw yesterday).

As far as I remember, there are no overflow weirs between Thrupp and Isis Lock, and of course overflows only work if the canal is higher than the river they lead to.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Around here, Newark, we have certainly seen the most prolonged period of flooding and flood risk that comes to mind.

The A1 being closed due to water flowing off fields (last week) was not something I recall happening  previously.

It is concerning the the slightest rain impacts immediately on river levels since the land is totally swamped.

A little further North is under water, as are large areas of Lincolnshire.

Sounds like down south it has just been a bit damp. 

The A1 was closed again last night.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-50406938

ETA, Link from other closed thread.

Yes. It seems CRT have some questions to answer on that decision which led to the flooding of the town!

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-50406938

ETA, Link from other closed thread.

Navigation authority and engineering maintenance organisation turns into pseudo National Trust and then has problems running navigations. Who'da thunk it?

MP.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The lock at Dukes Cut takes you down from the river to the canal. The other set of gates, pointing the other way, were removed a long time ago (pre-1970). But it may well be underwater anyway, as you say. 

The Cherwell is indeed overflowing into the canal at Shipton-on-Cherwell, and that will be causing problems. (I can't find the photo I saw yesterday).

As far as I remember, there are no overflow weirs between Thrupp and Isis Lock, and of course overflows only work if the canal is higher than the river they lead to.

There's a long overflow weir into Castle Mill stream just above Isis Lock, and given that there's a fall across the top gate in that picture, there must have been some fall left across the weir. Out of interest, next to the weir is the outfall from a pump which runs periodically to dump the surface water from Jericho into the Mill Stream. I imagine that's working quite hard at the moment.

MP.

Just seen that the canal below Stoke Bruerne is closed. The Tove must be flowing into the canal there. It can be quite fierce and catches people out. Had to slacken a neighbours lines at Grafton Regis a couple of years ago as people don't realise that pound can become a river?!

The Kennet where I am now seems to be holding it's level ok for now though?

48570560ed388c4bf3a889962324e6cd4239a698b1f85d30af2bd9fd4be98f8d18a00723.jpg

Edited by Dave123

24 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Just seen that the canal below Stoke Bruerne is closed. The Tove must be flowing into the canal there. It can be quite fierce and catches people out. Had to slacken a neighbours lines at Grafton Regis a couple of years ago as people don't realise that pound can become a river?!

The Kennet where I am now seems to be holding it's level ok for now though?

48570560ed388c4bf3a889962324e6cd4239a698b1f85d30af2bd9fd4be98f8d18a00723.jpg

That's nothing, last time that flooded properly, there were boats all over the fields to the left in the picture(you can just see the long term mooring boats through the trees) took them years to get a couple  back in due to access difficulties 

Edited by matty40s

32 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

There's a long overflow weir into Castle Mill stream just above Isis Lock, and given that there's a fall across the top gate in that picture, there must have been some fall left across the weir. Out of interest, next to the weir is the outfall from a pump which runs periodically to dump the surface water from Jericho into the Mill Stream. I imagine that's working quite hard at the moment.

MP.

Sorry, my post was unclear. I meant to say there were no overflows between Thrupp and this one (I think there are two actually)  just above Isis Lock.