Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, MHS said:

The Chesterfield Canal is now closed along its full length as per this stoppage. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/16552-chesterfield-canal-closed

I'm not surprised.  We were stuck on the Chesterfield for 6 weeks in the 2007 floods, when the canal overtopped at Clayworth, which was flooded, (but not by the canal).  Even after getting up to Torksey (tow assisted), it was another 2 weeks before the flood gates there were opened.  And that was in the middle of summer - this lot appears to be worse, and with winter coming on the present situation could last a long time on the Trent and adjacent waterways.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm not surprised.  We were stuck on the Chesterfield for 6 weeks in the 2007 floods, when the canal overtopped at Clayworth, which was flooded, (but not by the canal).  Even after getting up to Torksey (tow assisted), it was another 2 weeks before the flood gates there were opened.  And that was in the middle of summer - this lot appears to be worse, and with winter coming on the present situation could last a long time on the Trent and adjacent waterways.

I’ve not managed to find out if there’s a one specific problem that’s caused the stoppage. Hopefully someone can update us. 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm fairly confident that it is due to the amount of rain.

Yes, I understand it’s been drizzling a bit!

Gringley on the Hill had 60mm, but do we know if a river has over-topped into the canal?

Someone asked today if my boat would be okay after all the rain 

I explained boats are pretty good at keeping water on the outside. 

Ordinarily my boat is on a floating pontoon so is perfectky safe . 

However the boat is ashore at present. ?

Are there still boats tied up in that bit between there and Stamp End?

ETA We were there earlier this year, with the Moomins. But we moved on pdq. It was a bit like mooring in a theme park log flume what with the sluices at Stamp End going up and down a whores draws.

Edited by Victor Vectis

9 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Are there still boats tied up in that bit between there and Stamp End?

ETA We were there earlier this year, with the Moomins. But we moved on pdq. It was a bit like mooring in a theme park log flume what with the sluices at Stamp End going up and down a whores draws.

Yes a couple.

The river is level with the Fossdyke again.

The Stamp End gauge and Bardney gauge have recorded their highest ever river levels recorded and the Kirkstead bridge and Chapel Hill gauges look set to hit record levels today. 

14 hours ago, MHS said:

I’ve not managed to find out if there’s a one specific problem that’s caused the stoppage. Hopefully someone can update us. 

Not aware of any specific problems other than volume of rain.  Not sure where you are/were.  However you have the catchment above Pebley/Harthill Reservoirs putting water in near the Kiveton moorings.  The Pudding Dyke crosses the canal on the level on the summit pound. The Anston Brook /Ryton catchment (Dinnington, Laughton Common etc) feeding in below Turnerwood.  The Canch in the park at Worksop was getting full and the local council asked C&RT to open the sluice that drains water from the Canch into the canal below Kilton Low Lock.  So lots of 'fresh' being added.

p.s. The Canch, Canal, River Ryton arrangements are intrigueing and have changed over time.

31 minutes ago, pearley said:

Say hello to Martin and Di on 'Florence' moored just beyond the road bridge.

Will do when I’m back later. 

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

There are far worse places to be stuck :D

Yes it’s a great spot, but it could do with having a railway station!! Friendly locals, we topped up with diesel two weeks back and will need a gas bottle now. Which pub would you recommend if we have a meal?

18 minutes ago, MHS said:

Which pub 

The White Hart is without doubt highly recommended. Do book a table .I am surprised you haven't been there already.

Mick Ogden (the diesel guy) may supply you some gas.

Although I have not used the bus service they always seem to be frequent?

We pottered back to Stockwith from Shireoaks and emptied a gas bottle on the way. Will see Mick again. 

The bus is every 2 hours, but got us home via Retford station. Am returning by car as it’s easier with our big hound. 

Will definitely try the pub when back tomorrow or early next week.   

3 hours ago, MHS said:

Will do when I’m back later. 

Yes it’s a great spot, but it could do with having a railway station!! Friendly locals, we topped up with diesel two weeks back and will need a gas bottle now. Which pub would you recommend if we have a meal?

Either. We have had great meals in both.

To be honest the White Hart have let us down a few times so the last few times we have been we have eaten in the Waterside. Great home cooked food.

ETA: the pie in the yacht club is great if you catch one of their pie and peas nights.

Bardney is on the wet side today.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/641852842517484/permalink/2733615173341230/

Edited by Naughty Cal

So where is the water from Bardney going? 

It would be interesting to see the water levels at or just upstream of Grand Sluice, Boston.

At the Boston Barrage Public Enquiry much was made of river levels upstream of the town.

The question of high river flows and high tide was never really satisfied as the EA felt water would dissipate into the WNDrains over the top of Anton's Gowt lock gates and other week points.