Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Both my boats are now on long lines the canal is 8 inches from going over the bank! It has gone up 6 inches in 20 minutes so its looking likely to be a long night making sure all is well

We're above Wharton's lock on the Chester canal. The River Gowy, in the field to the left, is on flood alert. It's lower than the canal here, but much closer in height and proximity up at the other end of the pound next to Chas Hardern's place, so I hope it doesn't come bounding down than canal!

MP.

ETA it's pissing it down, and likely to continue doing so all night, looking at the rainfall radar. 

Edited by MoominPapa

16 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

O-levels and CSEs for me in '81 in much the same part of the world.

MP.

I've just done some checking and it seems GCSE was introduced in 88 but I know we did them in 88, the only cse I did was computer science, I remember clearly because at the time I knew more about the subject than the teachers, it annoyed be a tad at the time :)

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Likewise 

Slide-rules, log tables etc and not a calculator in sight.

I remember my 1st calculator - you had to save up tokens on Kellogs Corn Flakes and then send £15 - it was advertised as having more computing power  than the 1st NASA space rocket.

It was 'huge' (by todays standards and had Red LCD display, with only add, subtract, multiply and divide.

It wasn't really much use as we were not allowed to use calculators in the GCSE exams.

My 1st business computer (no one had PC's) had a hard drive of 30Mb with very little left when it had the operating software loaded onto it. Everything was saved on 5.25" floppy discs with 1.4Mb memory and you only had something like 6 characters to save and name a file.

The good old days !!!!!

We were allowed to use one for CSYS exams : a wondrous brass and steel beast with a handle on the end and a bell which rang when you overshot when doing division.

26 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

We're above Wharton's lock on the Chester canal. The River Gowy, in the field to the left, is on flood alert. It's lower than the canal here, but much closer in height and proximity up at the other end of the pound next to Chas Hardern's place, so I hope it doesn't come bounding down than canal!

MP.

ETA it's pissing it down, and likely to continue doing so all night, looking at the rainfall radar. 

Well here it's now over the lock! We have debris moving past us, the river is lower than us and 100 yards  away and is a raging torrent! The rain is like stairrods and the bank has just overflowed we are in deep do dah to say the least!

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Well here it's now over the lock! We have debris moving past us, the river is lower than us and 100 yards  away and is a raging torrent! The rain is like stairrods and the bank has just overflowed we are in deep do dah to say the least!

Take care Peter, Rotherham is in the bad position of being downstream of Sheffields keeping the water out efforts.

Longer lines and get the poles lashed down the sides to keep you off the bank even if you go above it time.

11 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Hope you stay safe. We're stuck here on the Nottingham and Beeston Canal. Quite a flow on it due to both the main sluice and one paddle top and bottom open at Beeston Lock but it has to come up another 3 feet (or 915mm for the metricators amongst us) which it is not predicated to do.

Or 2 cubits!

Edited by pearley

Worksop town centre is underwater.

The road between Gateford and Carlton in Lindrick is closed.

A1 is shut.

Our only hope of getting out of Worksop tomorrow is the A57 and that was pretty dicey when Liam came back that way in hour ago.

Might have to have the day off work tomorrow!

Still at least we have leak tested the house now and it is definitely dry.

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Stay safe Peter. 

Just now, Keeping Up said:

John Prescott thought it was a great idea and promoted many such estates because the land was cheap (I don't know if that applies to this example)

No it doesn't!

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Everything was saved on 5.25" floppy discs with 1.4Mb memory and you only had something like 6 characters to save and name a file.

Cough!

Anorak hat on........

5.25" disks were 1.2Mb at high density, 360k at low density.

3.5" disks were 1.44Mb.

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Cough!

Anorak hat on........

3.5" disks were 1.44Mb.

Whent to the Pen Museum in Birmingham last week, they had a 3 1/2" disk in their classroom museum display.

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Cough!

Anorak hat on........

3.5" disks were 1.44Mb.

and what about the 8 inch ones? ( I wish I had kept a few now).

First 5 inch disk drive I used had a knob on the front where you manually selected the track ......and I was using it to store assembler code that I was writing for a16 bit microprocessor....before Intel had made one.   crap job, I promised myself never to get involved with assembler ever again (and failed).

.................Dave

52 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Yikes! Stay safe. Glad we're at the top of the Tinsley flight.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yikes! Stay safe. Glad we're at the top of the Tinsley flight.

I wish I was to it's a lake here now water all around us, one boat has sunk already, it's not safe to get off the boats anymore, this is the second time this has happened to me, wonder if I should be called jonah!

• Horror 1

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I wish I was to it's a lake here now water all around us, one boat has sunk already, it's not safe to get off the boats anymore, this is the second time this has happened to me, wonder if I should be called jonah!

Hi Peter, which stretch are you on , Tulleys or the pound below??

5 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

You must still be very young then ...............

I had the same experience and I am within days of my 73 birthday.  Is that very young?

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My 1st business computer (no one had PC's) had a hard drive of 30Mb with very little left when it had the operating software loaded onto it. Everything was saved on 5.25" floppy discs with 1.4Mb memory and you only had something like 6 characters to save and name a file.

The good old days !!!!!

My first Winchester drive was 20mb.  You had 8 characters to name a file something to do with 8 bits to a byte I think.

25 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Tullys it's river each end of us and the river is now joined to us by a lake!!

Don has jut gone past its 2007 record level in Rotherham, people trapped on the retail parks just downstream of you. I know when I was trapped on the Soar when it shot up, I was up every hour in the night checking the ropes and levels. Stay safe.

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Don has jut gone past its 2007 record level in Rotherham, people trapped on the retail parks just downstream of you. I know when I was trapped on the Soar when it shot up, I was up every hour in the night checking the ropes and levels. Stay safe.

I can't believe how stupid people can be can you? We are in the cak its still raining heavy here.  Not planning to sleep and neither are any of the other boaters