Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

The watercourse that our estate drains into has now burst its banks. The attenuation basin is doing its job and storing the excess water. 

20191107-142458.jpg

20191107-142604.jpg

Unfortunately the older "new build" estate at the other side of Gateford where our friends live is currently under water. They have large capacity pumps there now pumping the water into the watercourse and downstream towards our estate! 

FB-IMG-1573139171641.jpg
picture sharing

Will be interesting to see just how much gets flooded down this end with all the water they are pumping as the ditch is already over capacity!

Just had a flood alert for Littleborough, so anyone in Tod and Hebden best keep an eye on the Calder. It's been chucking it down up at Summit all day. @dmr are your socks still dry? 

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

The watercourse that our estate drains into has now burst its banks. The attenuation basin is doing its job and storing the excess water. 

20191107-142458.jpg

20191107-142604.jpg

Unfortunately the older "new build" estate at the other side of Gateford where our friends live is currently under water. They have large capacity pumps there now pumping the water into the watercourse and downstream towards our estate! 

FB-IMG-1573139171641.jpg
picture sharing

Will be interesting to see just how much gets flooded down this end with all the water they are pumping as the ditch is already over capacity!

Why build houses in a flood plain? 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Just had a flood alert for Littleborough, so anyone in Tod and Hebden best keep an eye on the Calder. It's been chucking it down up at Summit all day. @dmr are your socks still dry? 

Exactly Jim, is it because lots of money can be made from it do you think?

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Exactly Jim, is it because lots of money can be made from it do you think?

Of course, taking advantage of the gullible. Detailed flood maps are available. 

As above it isn't the watercourse causing the flooding so those houses are not built on a flood plain.

It is surface water run off that has caused it and the drainage system just can not cope with the amounts of water being thrown at it. 

Those houses were built 25 years ago when design standards for surface water systems were just not as rigorous as they are today. The system has just been overwhelmed and the layout of the estate means all of the water collects in the middle of the estate in the low point.

Today new estates have to have surface water systems capable of storing far more water and have to be laid out so that any water that exceeds the capacity of the system flows away from houses and into areas of open space.

42 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

When metrication first came into UK the Metrication Board ruled that if something was still manufactured to an Imperial dimension then it should be used. Hence if ply sheets were made 4 ft x 6 ft x 6 mm then that is how they should be described rather than try to approximate in mm for the first two. Time has passed and such manufacturing equipment has long since been replaced by modern alternatives. I describe our narrowboat as a 60 ft boat when asked how long it is as that is more a name of a type than an actual dimension. I have no idea how long it is!

For modest dimensions, keeping to mm, rather than mixed m and mm is safer as it is easy to miss a decimal point is a crucial place. eg better to use 250 mm  then .25 m - for dimensions in the numbers of metres, the decimal part is for accuracy rather than scale. (I was long ago trained, even as a physicist, to do a calculation first for scale and then for accuracy - ie do it quickly in round numbers to see if the answer is in the right ball park. If not work our why before wasting time on longer calculations. Part of the philosophy was to understand the likely scale of anything you might be measuring. Similar goes for how many decimal places to use. Many things described as eg 256.56 mm  are probably only known to the integer part and the rest is spurious, perhaps as a result of a calculation that was originally based on 3 significant figure dimensions any way. 

If you apply such principles when shopping it is surprising how close to the checkout total you can be.

Likewise, when sliderules, rather than calculators were needed to multiply or divide numbers.

When packing to move to my present home back in 2014 I came across my old sliderule. Problem was I couldn't remember how to use it, as I last recall using it for exams in 1972

Edited by cuthound
Missing space

50 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

I'm on flood watch duties for the boat club it looks like it started to drop at Tod just before 3pm. Marsden is also dropping now.

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Although I can and do think and speak and use some imperial units such as pints of beer and miles per gallon I am mainly a metric thinking person. I have not only worked in metric and SI units my entire carrier but also received education in the same since the start of my secondary school education.  I think, therefore, that mm are every day and ''real ''units and inches are units from bygone era that rather quaintly remain in use in some sectors.

You must still be very young then ...............

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

We are still in your pound (just one below the summit), water is cascading over the top of Longlees lock and the pound is about three inches above wier level. Yesterday there were 5 boats in Tod and another heading that way today, hope they are ok, I've heard that the canal is going over its bank somewhere in Tod. Hope my favorite canalside pub is ok. Tempted to go down for a beer tonight but not sure if the busses will be running and its a long walk back. Could be trouble in Hebden

...............Dave.

27 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I'm on flood watch duties for the boat club it looks like it started to drop at Tod just before 3pm. Marsden is also dropping now.

A friend was visiting us, tried to get home to Hebden through Tod, road closed near Eastwood, had to come back round to go via Blackstone Edge and Mytholmroyd to Hebden. Good to hear its dropping. My boat is currently moored near Stubbin pub, should be OK there. 

1 minute ago, dmr said:

We are still in your pound (just one below the summit), water is cascading over the top of Longlees lock and the pound is about three inches above wier level. Yesterday there were 5 boats in Tod and another heading that way today, hope they are ok, I've heard that the canal is going over its bank somewhere in Tod. Hope my favorite canalside pub is ok. Tempted to go down for a beer tonight but not sure if the busses will be running and its a long walk back. Could be trouble in Hebden

...............Dave.

Good, at least you are immune from floods there. Do you know there is a shop on Stansfield Estate where I live, quite close to Summit, if you need it. 

Edited by Jim Riley

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Centimetres are not British Standard.

Metres and millimetres are but I'd agree that centimetres are much more handy when actually measuring something.

And when has anybody measured anything in decimetres?

Referred to as 'non preferred units' and dismissed as a product of the garment industry ............ which clearly has a lot to answer for!

50 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Likewise, when sliderules, rather than calculators were needed to multiply or divide numbers.

Likewise 

Slide-rules, log tables etc and not a calculator in sight.

I remember my 1st calculator - you had to save up tokens on Kellogs Corn Flakes and then send £15 - it was advertised as having more computing power  than the 1st NASA space rocket.

It was 'huge' (by todays standards and had Red LCD display, with only add, subtract, multiply and divide.

It wasn't really much use as we were not allowed to use calculators in the GCSE exams.

My 1st business computer (no one had PC's) had a hard drive of 30Mb with very little left when it had the operating software loaded onto it. Everything was saved on 5.25" floppy discs with 1.4Mb memory and you only had something like 6 characters to save and name a file.

The good old days !!!!!

33 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was 'huge' (by todays standards and had Red LCD display, with only add, subtract, multiply and divide.

Er, isn't that all that calculators do anyway?

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Noooooo - Lots more !!

Trignometry, (Tan, Sine etc), Standard deviation, averages, square / square root, 100's of functions, all sorts of stuff.

I can tell that you didn't get the ten-quid one.

Guess who did!

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It wasn't really much use as we were not allowed to use calculators in the GCSE exams.

"Red LCD?" I assume you mean a glowing display which was actually not LCD it was either vacuum fluorescent or an early LED system. 

LCD liquid crystal display the grey seven segment display type calculators were more or less universal when the GCSE system was introduced.

Did you mean GCE? 

Edited by magnetman

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thank you - YES !

Having checked and found that GCSE were introduced in 1988 - it was some considerable time before that.

I did mainly GCSE with a couple of CSE and one o level in 85, I think we were early adopters