Flooding

haggis

Featured Posts

Having just seen lots of photos of the flooding in Englandshire I hope that you are all safely moored and not at risk. It must be awful. We thought the flow on the Weaver when it was closed for a few days earlier this month was bad but it was nothing like it is now. 

Stay safe, folks!

I must admit I hadn't realised just how bad it is down there as we have been enjoying some really good autumn weather  for a few weeks with just occasional rain.

haggis

Our fields are waterlogged with partial flooding. Swans swimming around where the cows are normally.

The ground is so soft its like walking in a bog, the grass comes off if you slid your foot.

The canal seems to be coping, some boats still moving down the Middlewich Branch, of course the canal is still slowly emptying through the leaking aqueduct over the A530 which helps a bit.

Our excess water of course ends up in the Weaver.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

The River Trent at Farndon is about 1.5metres above it's normal level.

Fortunately it seems to have stopped rising.

All this to come downstream. The gangway to the lock landing pontoon at Beeston is now uphill.

IMG_20191027_155048351_BURST000_COVER.jpg

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Did the waters part for you ?

Related image

That photo always reminds me of G.F.Handel's "Israel in Egypt" - in that case it was a horse and rider that fell into the sea after the waves had parted.

Good tune, but too many repeats (as in modern pop music).

13 hours ago, MartynG said:

The River Trent at Farndon is about 1.5metres above it's normal level.

Fortunately it seems to have stopped rising.

I take that back. The water had a little pause and now it's on the way up again.

Hazelford weir ...photo nicked off another forum

hazlef10.jpg

22 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Just watching the local news, Tewkesbury Abbey is on an island again.

I presume you mean an island smaller than the one it’s normally on (I.e.: Great Britain)!  Drove down the M5 this morning, and over the Avon at Bredon.  The fields there often flood, but it normally looks like rain that has nowhere to run off to, today it was a definite burst banks job.  The whole area is like a mile square lake...

Edited by The Dreamer

21 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Just watching the local news, Tewkesbury Abbey is on an island again.

My Sister got caught up there a few years ago and spent a night in the Abbey,  next day got peed off with people faffing and drove home, she was in a biggish 4x4 mind

12 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Looked scary.

About 20 years ago my father-in-law took his 50ft narrowboat back from Reading and on to the Wey to get back home to the Basingstoke, whilst the Thames was in flood.  He nearly lost sideways across a weir, and then in correcting his steer, nearly lost my mother-in-law overboard.  His defence was that he needed to get back home for work, and didn’t have time to moor up, take the train, and recover the boat later.  The upshot of it was that he sold the boat not long after, and still has nightmares to this day...

Edited by The Dreamer

3 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

I presume you mean an island smaller than the one it’s normally on (I.e.: Great Britain)!  Drove down the M5 this morning, and over the Avon at Bredon.  The fields there often flood, but it normally looks like rain that has nowhere to run off to, today it was a definite burst banks job.  The whole area is like a mile square lake...

Strensham Lock hasnt been like this since 2013

16466_12186_20191028.jpg

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Strensham Lock hasnt been like this since 2013

Here at Diglis, the river is over bottom lock and half way up the top lock.  That means we are moored in the basin at not far off river level.  Those two locks have a combined drop of around 16ft!