Parts in Sheffield area

Natasha

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Can anyone please recommend where we can buy narrowboat parts, new or second hand in the Sheffield area? Thank you 

Perhaps you could start with Sheffield Marine? Not that I know anything!

Or Google 'Sheffield Chandlers' (which is what I did)

6 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Punt pole

hook and pole

mooring spikes

foam and covers for stern seating 

Punt Pole,  usually just called a pole, but the real historic boaters call it the Long Shaft.

Hook and Pole?   commonly called a boat hook, but again the serious boaters call it the cabin shaft.

Mooring Spikes are called mooring pins.

The Long Shaft can be a problem as it won't easily fit in a car so you might need to find a canalside shop.

I know nothing about Sheffield, they made the locks too short to get there in a proper boat, but it used to have a good pub called the Harley????? :)

...........Dave

For boat poles, boat hook and mooring pins, I don't know of anywhere in Sheffield where you can get these. Nearest place used to be Stanisland marina in Thorne, but their web site suggests that their chandlery isn't running at the moment. Could be worth a call to them to find the current situation. Other than that, you are left with mail order, which is expensive for delivery on long items like boat poles and heavy items like mooring pins. Sheffield is a bit out of the way on the canal system. Some boat neighbours recently had some very nice stern seat cushions made and I may be able to get the contact details for you. If you just want the materials to make them yourself, then I don't know and again, you might be left with mail order.

Jen

For a long shaft try asking for a mopstick handrail at a timber merchants. Usually 4.something m x 50 mm. Look for defects in it that might weaken it before buying and give it a good coat of paint if leaving it outside.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

For a long shaft try asking for a mopstick handrail at a timber merchants. Usually 4.something m x 50 mm. Look for defects in it that might weaken it before buying and give it a good coat of paint if leaving it outside.

Be careful what it is made of. Long shafts are usually ash as if they break under heavy load they don't produce such sharp and dangerous splinters.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Be careful what it is made of. Long shafts are usually ash as if they break under heavy load they don't produce such sharp and dangerous splinters...

... unlike pine, which does. 

You can order these through C.V Marine, Victoria Quays, S2 5SY. Tel 0114 2750674. The office is open Tuesday's and Fridays, they can get all this stuff for you except the seats unless they are available off the shelf and not custom made, If ordered Tuesday it would be ready for collection Friday.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Be careful what it is made of. Long shafts are usually ash as if they break under heavy load they don't produce such sharp and dangerous splinters.

As Jen says don't buy if not Ash as they will not last and often split or snap when used.

5 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

Never buy handrails and use them as a shaft.

They are usually pine, and WHEN they break they will cause some nasty injuries.

10 minutes ago, mayalld said:

Never buy handrails and use them as a shaft.

They are usually pine, and WHEN they break they will cause some nasty injuries.

Ours has lasted 25 years. Depends upon what you do with it.

17 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Ours has lasted 25 years. Depends upon what you do with it.

If its use is decorative, then no harm will come, but why bother.

If you actually want something that isn't going to turn into a speak if it is misused then do not buy pine.

6 minutes ago, mayalld said:

If its use is decorative, then no harm will come, but why bother.

If you actually want something that isn't going to turn into a speak if it is misused then do not buy pine.

Oh, a talking pole. I like that ?

Haggis

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

My friend comes from near the Ukrainian border. She's Polish. Not asked her opinion on ash v pine poles. Imho pine dangerous for pole, what about an old ally dinghy mast?

Usually tapered and oval in cross section, very awkward.