Partial Repaint

JJay

Featured Posts

Our 8 year old boat is looking a little the worse for wear but is well short of needing a full repaint. Can anyone recommend a painter within reasonable reach of the Braunston/Napton area who might be willing to touch up rust spots/ bad bits (various illnesses and physical limitations mean we've had to neglect this for a while, nor do we feel able to tackle the job in the forseeable future).  At the same time we'd like the cream roof (bad mistake!) repainted to a more practical colour.

As to the roof, we are torn between raddle red and mid grey.  The main colours are black, cream and red.  Any preference, or other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, JJay said:

As to the roof, we are torn between raddle red and mid grey.

Our roof is Dark Cherry Red, the same as the outer boarder of the sides, it looks smart, fits well with the rest of the design and is not at all troublesome in regards to wear or keeping clean.  Thus I would go for red if I were you...

10 minutes ago, JJay said:

As to the roof, we are torn between raddle red and mid grey.  The main colours are black, cream and red.  Any preference, or other suggestions?

A light colour with a matte finish will tend to heat up less and avoid glare. Dark painted surfaces tend to get very hot and when it's the roof the interior temperature of the boat can get quite uncomfortable. This last couple of summers my cream roof has been a real boon.

Edited to add: it can get mucky mind so I wash it every spring. Hardly the issue some may suggest.

Edited by Sea Dog
As stated
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Sea Dog said:

A light colour with a matte finish will tend to heat up less and avoid glare. Dark painted surfaces tend to get very hot and when it's the roof the interior temperature of the boat can get quite uncomfortable. This last couple of summers my cream roof has been a real boon.

Yup, WotEver’s roof was repainted cream and the boat was much cooler in the summer compared to when it was blue. 

Having had to stop painting our boat (leaving it 3/4 done) due to weather, temperatures and dew-point problems, I would strongly suggest that unless you can find someone with a heated indoor paint shop that you live with it until next summer (May onwards).

I guess it is made worse by the fact I am using 2-pack epoxy paint which 'sucks up' damp air like there is no tomorrow and then refuse to 'harden', but even when I tried to do the waterline stripe with standard Gloss paint it took 2 full days to go 'off'.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I have wondered if we would miss the light coloured roof from the point of view of temperature control, but the two days we spent getting it pristine in July only to have it looking distinctly mossy by October is not an experience I want to repeat too often!

53 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Our roof is Dark Cherry Red, the same as the outer boarder of the sides, it looks smart, fits well with the rest of the design and is not at all troublesome in regards to wear or keeping clean.  Thus I would go for red if I were you...

We've shied away from large areas of red because it fades so quickly (the handrails are one of the "bad bits"),  Do you find that to be a problem, and does the colour have a noticeable effect on the temperature inside the boat?

12 minutes ago, JJay said:

We've shied away from large areas of red because it fades so quickly (the handrails are one of the "bad bits"),  Do you find that to be a problem, and does the colour have a noticeable effect on the temperature inside the boat?

My first two boats had blue and green roofs respectively. My current t bost has a cream roof and is noticeably cooler inside on a hot summers day.

The downside to a light coloured roof, particularly if it is sanded for a non-slip finish, is that it is much harder to keep clean. I find a quartely scrub with Aldi's  Caravan Cleaner keeps it looking Ok ish.

As others have said, red is prone to fading or cracking when exposed to UV.

On 26/10/2019 at 17:57, cuthound said:

My first two boats had blue and green roofs respectively. My current t bost has a cream roof and is noticeably cooler inside on a hot summers day.

The downside to a light coloured roof, particularly if it is sanded for a non-slip finish, is that it is much harder to keep clean. I find a quartely scrub with Aldi's  Caravan Cleaner keeps it looking Ok ish.

As others have said, red is prone to fading or cracking when exposed to UV.

Thank you for that.  Will try your recommended cleaner before we make a decision!

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 16:19, JJay said:

Our 8 year old boat is looking a little the worse for wear but is well short of needing a full repaint. Can anyone recommend a painter within reasonable reach of the Braunston/Napton area who might be willing to touch up rust spots/ bad bits (various illnesses and physical limitations mean we've had to neglect this for a while, nor do we feel able to tackle the job in the forseeable future).  At the same time we'd like the cream roof (bad mistake!) repainted to a more practical colour.

Many thanks in advance.

JJay,

Not trying to hijack your thread but I'm in a similar position. If an offer pops up I assure you that you will have the first option.

My 23 year old boat had a back to metal full repaint 3.5 years ago and it was a disaster. If it all went back to metal and had the full 6 coats of Craftmaster  as agreed then I'm a dutch uncle. The boat is in the Cropredy area. I would want to stay with the present colours Midnight Blue , Brunswick Green? with the roof a light blue, shade unknown.

Thanks and apologies again if you feel I'm hijacking

Frank

2 hours ago, Slim said:

JJay,

Not trying to hijack your thread but I'm in a similar position. If an offer pops up I assure you that you will have the first option.

My 23 year old boat had a back to metal full repaint 3.5 years ago and it was a disaster. If it all went back to metal and had the full 6 coats of Craftmaster  as agreed then I'm a dutch uncle. The boat is in the Cropredy area. I would want to stay with the present colours Midnight Blue , Brunswick Green? with the roof a light blue, shade unknown.

Thanks and apologies again if you feel I'm hijacking

Frank

No worries at all Frank. Sharing information is what it's all about!

Robert Naghi does a very decent job for a very reasonable price, he has just done a friends boat.

I think you would need to find/book a suitable wet dock and I think he likes to live on the boat while he paints it to keep the costs down and to allow some early starts.

..............Dave

8 hours ago, dmr said:

Robert Naghi does a very decent job for a very reasonable price, he has just done a friends boat.

I think you would need to find/book a suitable wet dock and I think he likes to live on the boat while he paints it to keep the costs down and to allow some early starts.

..............Dave

Before I start troubling Robert does anyone know of a wet dock for hire in the Cropredy area . I'm pretty sure that the one in Cropredy marina is not available for paint jobs but I'm there tomorrow so will ask.

7 minutes ago, Slim said:

Before I start troubling Robert does anyone know of a wet dock for hire in the Cropredy area . I'm pretty sure that the one in Cropredy marina is not available for paint jobs but I'm there tomorrow so will ask.

There is the dock at Tooleys but I don't know if its available for private hire.

There is also a slipway just a couple of locks up from Cropredy but I know nothing about it....do they have any cover and do they do private hire.? After than its Fenny Compton and once again---I don't know.   Then up to Calcutt and all the marinas in that area.

.................Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

There is the dock at Tooleys but I don't know if its available for private hire.

There is also a slipway just a couple of locks up from Cropredy but I know nothing about it....do they have any cover and do they do private hire.? After than its Fenny Compton and once again---I don't know.   Then up to Calcutt and all the marinas in that area.

.................Dave

Thanks. Don't think Tooleys is suitable for private painting. Given that when I was looking to get VS painted last I couldn't make contact I'm doubtful. Richards slip at Varney's lock is part covered but only about 40' . VS is 55' Richard is very accommodating so would move boat back and forward as needed. I'll have to do some thinking. As a general point the slip is available for short term DIY and has power etc. It was there that ì did my stern tube / propshaft swap about 6 weeks ago.

8 hours ago, Slim said:

There was one at the back end of Fenny Compton marina but think it's been dismantled now.

• Greenie 1