Three paramedics board a narrowboat...

The Dreamer

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

You have a reputation, wow what's one of those like?

I can't remember. I put it in a box for the move north when I retired. I must have got lost because I havent seen it since. ?

Edited by cuthound
Duplicate post
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I will introduce you to my little girl. She is an elf and safety ossifer for the HSE on the construction side, you should get on well lol . The stupidity of it all is she will tell you herself she couldnt construct anything or know even where to start but knows what is safe or not!! Trouble now in life is a Uni degree and in her case also a masters trumps real world experience, in my view to be able to close down a site etc which she sometimes does whilst I appreciate her qualifications I also think such people should also be experienced in the field they control in such a way.

when I started work I was expected to manage elfinsafety and quality in my line of work.  We didn't need procedures because qualified engineers were deemed to be intelligent and to do things properly.   We had a specification, some British Standards, and a construction Contract - there was no other documentation to comply with.   By and large we managed quite well.

now we have quality assurance, quality control, HSE, procedures, work method statements, risk assessments, etc, etc.    And the blithering idiots working within those (theoretically) strict boundaries still manage to put inflammable cladding on tower blocks, and to argue and procrastinate for years when it is clear they should remove it.   :banghead:

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

when I started work I was expected to manage elfinsafety and quality in my line of work.  We didn't need procedures because qualified engineers were deemed to be intelligent and to do things properly.   We had a specification, some British Standards, and a construction Contract - there was no other documentation to comply with.   By and large we managed quite well.

now we have quality assurance, quality control, HSE, procedures, work method statements, risk assessments, etc, etc.    And the blithering idiots working within those (theoretically) strict boundaries still manage to put inflammable cladding on tower blocks, and to argue and procrastinate for years when it is clear they should remove it.   :banghead:

Ronan Point rather tends to spring to mind:unsure:

In an effort to raise public awareness of "what 3 words" , we've just competed in a local treasure hunt organised by our local Police.

Its suprising how often some of the words repeat.

Howvever without the app you have no idea what the 3 words are.  No signal = no app.

I've been asked for postcodes to by the Em Servs, but again, without local knowledge, you won't know it.

But most people would understand down "Butty Lane by the canal bridge".

Edited by jake_crew

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

In an effort to raise public awareness of "what 3 words" , we've just competed in a local treasure hunt organised by our local Police.

Its suprising how often some of the words repeat.

Howvever without the app you have no idea what the 3 words are.  No signal = no app.

I've been asked for postcodes to by the Em Servs, but again, without local knowledge, you won't know it.

But most people would understand down "Butty Lane by the canal bridge".

You need a signal to get the app, but you don't need a signal to use it. If necessary you can get the three words and send a runner to deliver them.

A 999 operator 200 miles away would NOT understand "down Butty Lane by the canal bridge".

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Strikes me that What3Words is good for communicating a position. Still has to be plotted on map. or converted to Grid reference to find the casualty, though

But that’s the point, type the three words into the app, and you find the location.  On my iPhone it then links to maps and you can get directions to the exact 3x3 meter plot.  I guess the emergency services have the APIs written into the onboard navigation software and the jobs a good ‘un.  From a member of the publics perspective it’s far easier to give three words accurately than it is to give a 12 number long/lat...

Just spend a week in Coventry hospital following ambulance transfer. Tried 3 word thingy, operator has no idea what it was/is. Anyway during direction taking I mentioned the Harvester The Bell and Barge. Cross the canal bridge and hang a left on foot. All the way through my stay at hospital my home address was Bell and Barge Rugby. Took three attempts to get it changed. They either thought I was still drinking in there at 5 in the morning or I ran the bloomin place. Either way, not correct.

14 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just spend a week in Coventry hospital following ambulance transfer. Tried 3 word thingy, operator has no idea what it was/is.

Yep looks like not many UK based emergency services use what3words, and certainly not West Mids!

https://what3words.com/news/emergency/uk-emergency-services-rollout-what3words-in-control-rooms-to-save-resources-time-and-lives/

14 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Yep looks like not many UK based emergency services use what3words, and certainly not West Mids!

https://what3words.com/news/emergency/uk-emergency-services-rollout-what3words-in-control-rooms-to-save-resources-time-and-lives/

Thats the problem like most things in this country, its a postcode lottery, some do some dont. You would have thought there would be a National policy on the emergency services, not just do as you like

11 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Just spend a week in Coventry hospital following ambulance transfer. Tried 3 word thingy, operator has no idea what it was/is. Anyway during direction taking I mentioned the Harvester The Bell and Barge. Cross the canal bridge and hang a left on foot. All the way through my stay at hospital my home address was Bell and Barge Rugby. Took three attempts to get it changed. They either thought I was still drinking in there at 5 in the morning or I ran the bloomin place. Either way, not correct.

But "Bell and Barge" is three words! ?

Hope you get well soon!

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1