Canopy cleaning.

Featured Posts

I bought a boat last year chuffed with it but the canopies are huge. The canopy is old but in good nick but needs some serious cleaning. It is a hard canvas and has green algae forming on the edges. I am looking for advice on how to clean it as I have been told to avoid chemicals at all cost.

Does anyone do a cleaning service or is that the lazy way out?

TIA. Jim

I dont have a suggestion that avoids chemicals but can say what I do.

Patio Magic diluted as instructions or any other  similar algae cleaner may be applied using a garden sprayer on a dry day with no wind . This must dry off before any rain. Then do nothing. The affect is not instant . After a couple of weeks the green should have gone. You may have missed a bit and need to re- apply. 

A repeat treatment annually seems sufficient. .... just waiting for a dry spell which isn't going to be this weekend..

If you canvas is very dirty you may first  wish to  clean it. I use mild detergent such as Stardrops.  

7 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I bought a boat last year chuffed with it but the canopies are huge. The canopy is old but in good nick but needs some serious cleaning. It is a hard canvas and has green algae forming on the edges. I am looking for advice on how to clean it as I have been told to avoid chemicals at all cost.

Does anyone do a cleaning service or is that the lazy way out?

TIA. Jim

My neighbours cover was minging, they took it to a bloke just off the M1 ar Castle Donnington. He did a brilliant job of cleaning it and fitting new zips for peanuts. £175 in total. I have his address and number if you want it. Cleaning very mucky covers is up there with polishing brass, an absolute no no.

4 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Sorry I took so long in replying, I would be very interested in this chaps number.

im not a great believer in sweating if someone will sweat for me at a reasonable cost. 

Jim

No problem, you are a wise man. Its on the boat and I am not I will obtain it and post it asap.