Hull Lagoon Project

Momac

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Hull is already one of the most 'inviting' coastal / Port cities.

I reckon it would be the making of them.

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The cynics are already suggesting that it will never happen, surprise surprise,  but on the other hand there are also those who have suggested that an even better idea would be a Humber Barrage across the estuary from Spurn. Whatever happens, and good luck to them, it will take many years to bring to fruition.

Howard

8 minutes ago, howardang said:

The cynics are already suggesting that it will never happen, surprise surprise,  but on the other hand there are also those who have suggested that an even better idea would be a Humber Barrage across the estuary from Spurn. Whatever happens, and good luck to them, it will take many years to bring to fruition.

Howard

It would certainly be better spent on this project than poxy HS2.

• Greenie 3

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A few years ago I bought a book from one of those cheapo 'Works' shops to pass the time on a railway journey. The book was called 'Crap Towns' and described 100 of Britain's grottiest towns.

Hull came top.

However, I have never visited it to judge for myself.

It would be interesting to see this built .

I hope they have thought about access for boats and the affects on the navigable channel.

Just now, Athy said:

The book was called 'Crap Towns' and described 100 of Britain's grottiest towns.

Hull came top.

Must have been an old book.

Just now, Athy said:

A few years ago I bought a book from one of those cheapo 'Works' shops to pass the time on a railway journey. The book was called 'Crap Towns' and described 100 of Britain's grottiest towns.

Hull came top.

They spent £ millions when they became the city of culture.

It knocks the likes of Grimsby, Gt Yarmouth, Lowestoft, even Southampton & Plymouth into a cocked-hat.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

I hope they have thought about access for boats and the affects on the navigable channel.

As boating / navigation is the major reason for Hull's existence (even today) I'd expect they would - it may even simplify Dredging and navigation

Goole hs to  top the list. It hs  dded smell  +EDIT i hve letters missig o my keyord, sorry out tht.

49 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

jokig?

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Goole hs to  top the list. It hs  dded smell  +EDIT i hve letters missig o my keyord, sorry out tht.

jokig?

Fear not lady G, I have filled in the blanks for you:

Google history to stop the list. Its his added smelly +REDIT i have letters missing on my keyword, sorry alout that.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

Hull came top.

Shows how reliable the author is - Hull is a city, and has been since 1897. But you knew that!

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It knocks the likes of Grimsby, Gt Yarmouth, Lowestoft, even Southampton & Plymouth into a cocked-hat.

Oi! Watch it! You're insulting my alma mater!

(See, its not just upper-class Tory twats who can use Latin)

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Shows how reliable the author is - Hull is a city, and has been since 1897. But you knew that!

Oi! Watch it! You're insulting my alma mater!

(See, its not just upper-class Tory twats who can use Latin)

Wrong old sport. Hull is a river. Kingston upon Hull is a city.

• Greenie 3

22 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Earlier than that....Harold Wilson in 1966.

one or the other, cant remember which. google is my friend 

1966 Hull North by-election[edit]

However, raising the necessary funding proved impossible until the 1966 Hull North by-election. To save his government, Labour Prime Minister Harold Wilson prevailed upon his Minister of Transport Barbara Castle to sanction the building of the bridge.[8] Dismay at the long wait for a crossing led to the writing by Christopher Rowe of a protest song entitled "The Humber Bridge".[9]

Edited by ditchcrawler

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

one or the other, cant remember which

Act of Parliament

Plans for a bridge were originally drawn up in the 1930s, and were revised in 1955, but work did not begin until 27 July 1972. The Humber Bridge Act, promoted by Kingston Upon Hull Corporation, was passed in 1959. This established the Humber Bridge Board to manage and raise funds to build the bridge and buy the land required for the approach roads.

1966 Hull North by-election

However, raising the necessary funding proved impossible until the 1966 Hull North by-election. To save his government, Labour Prime Minister Harold Wilson prevailed upon his Minister of Transport Barbara Castle to sanction the building of the bridge. Dismay at the long wait for a crossing led to the writing by Christopher Rowe of a protest song entitled "The Humber Bridge".

Work began on the southern approach road in July 1972 by Clugston Construction of Scunthorpe.

The bridge opened to traffic on 24 June 1981.

The towers, although both vertical, are 36 mm (1.4 inches) farther apart at the top than the bottom due to the curvature of the earth

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

Look how long it took to get round to building the Humber Bridge...

Probably 'cos it didn't really go anywhere (still doesn't really, not being part of a motorway). Parents live in Goole when it was being built and they couldn't see the point of it other than (briefly) being the longest suspension bridge.

56 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Probably 'cos it didn't really go anywhere (still doesn't really, not being part of a motorway). Parents live in Goole when it was being built and they couldn't see the point of it other than (briefly) being the longest suspension bridge.

Well it certainly saved me a bit of time travelling between Watford and Hull.

13 hours ago, Lysander said:

Well it certainly saved me a bit of time travelling between Watford and Hull.

Broad as it's long really, if you'd carried on up to the M62 and then the A63, the difference in time is minimal. Of course you get a nicer view over the bridge, money well spent:unsure: