Provenance

onebrownarm

Featured Posts

A nice boat on offer at a nice price and I don't think I'll haggle but proof of ownership consists of a statement from the previous owner that he has exclusive title and right to sell. The sales broker says this means that if it isn't true the seller is liable for fraud. So far as I know he is some bloke called Dave who has lived aboard for the last four years.  What do you think of that?

That is more than you will get from most Inland Waterways boat purchases.

You SHOULD get a copy of the RCD certificate, copy of the VAT paid certificate and the Bill of sale from the manufacturer to the 1st owner and then for the sale to each subsequent owner, but the Inland Waterways tends not to be particularly keen on 'paperwork'.

32 minutes ago, onebrownarm said:

A nice boat on offer at a nice price and I don't think I'll haggle but proof of ownership consists of a statement from the previous owner that he has exclusive title and right to sell. The sales broker says this means that if it isn't true the seller is liable for fraud. So far as I know he is some bloke called Dave who has lived aboard for the last four years.  What do you think of that?

Don’t under estimate a Dave. 

I did ☹️

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You SHOULD get a copy of the RCD certificate, copy of the VAT paid certificate and the Bill of sale from the manufacturer to the 1st owner and then for the sale to each subsequent owner, but the Inland Waterways tends not to be particularly keen on 'paperwork'.

That would depend if the boat had an RCD cert, I can't remember when VAT was first introduced into the UK but I bet there are boats on the market built before it (Googled it, it was 75)

1 hour ago, onebrownarm said:

Thats the beauty of boats, we dont need a paperchain of crap so solicitors dont get involved with sales and mess up the whole shooting match.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You SHOULD get a copy of the RCD certificate, copy of the VAT paid certificate and the Bill of sale from the manufacturer to the 1st owner 

Could you elaborate a bit for a foreigner on the VAT tax please. Is this just paid one time for the first sale, when new? If buying used you don't pay it? I am assuming from what I have read that is is a one time tax?  VAT tax is a bit confusing to me.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That would depend if the boat had an RCD cert, I can't remember when VAT was first introduced into the UK but I bet there are boats on the market built before it (Googled it, it was 75)

Indeed it would but the RCD introduction is now a fairly long time ago and fewer and fewer boats will not have been built to RCD requirements.

Not a lot of people know that the 2017 RCD amendments have now been accepted into English (UK) Law accepted. It is interesting that one of the new requirements is that it is COMPULSORY for RCD built boats to have holding tanks and are not able to discharge directly to the water.

1 minute ago, Kudzucraft said:

Could you elaborate a bit for a foreigner on the VAT tax please. Is this just paid one time for the first sale, when new? If buying used you don't pay it? I am assuming from what I have read that is is a one time tax?  VAT tax is a bit confusing to me.

Yes it is a one-time payment * paid by the 1st buyer when new. The Proof of VAT paid is a European requirement and should be carried on the boat at all times as part of the 'Ships papers'.

* If the purchase of the new boat is by a VAT registered company they can claim the VAT payment back from the Government, but, this does mean that when they come to sell it they MUST apply VAT to the sale, so, in this instance the '2nd owner' would be come liable to pay VAT. It is always worth checking when buying 'disposals' from Hire companies if the price they are asking is Inclusive' or 'exclusive' of VAT.

20% on a £50,000 boat is a fair 'chunk of change'.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

20% on a £50,000 boat is a fair 'chunk of change'.

That is an Understatement! 

Thank you, great information to know. Once we get ready to purchase it is things like that can bite us in the butt. So I appreciate it and will add it to my list.

39 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

That is an Understatement! 

Thank you, great information to know. Once we get ready to purchase it is things like that can bite us in the butt. So I appreciate it and will add it to my list.

Just to enhance the subject and if you do buy anything over here boat wise or engage the services of a solicitor or just about anything else. The dreaded VAT is added to most things, you dont need to actualy have anything tangible in your hand. As one for instance of many if you employ a solicitor as you are so far away he will have to add VAT on to his bill. If you buy our cheap petrol!! over here not only do we pay fuel duty we pay VAT on top, we pay VAT on services or good in the main. Some small businesses do not have to charge it as they will not need to be VAT registered but can be if they want to be. VAT is absolute fun!!.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just to enhance the subject and if you do buy anything over here boat wise or engage the services of a solicitor or just about anything else. The dreaded VAT is added to most things, you dont need to actualy have anything tangible in your hand. As one for instance of many if you employ a solicitor as you are so far away he will have to add VAT on to his bill. If you buy our cheap petrol!! over here not only do we pay fuel duty we pay VAT on top, we pay VAT on services or good in the main. Some small businesses do not have to charge it as they will not need to be VAT registered but can be if they want to be. VAT is absolute fun!!.

Ah, but the upside is that when you depart these shore for foreign lands (home) you take all your receipts to the Customs man at the airport and he will give you all your VAT paid back to you.

(Probably not for a boat that you are leaving here tho')

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

And VAT was introduced by the Conservatives, who always campaign for less bureaucracy in business!

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ah, but the upside is that when you depart these shore for foreign lands (home) you take all your receipts to the Customs man at the airport and he will give you all your VAT paid back to you.

(Probably not for a boat that you are leaving here tho')

So will he get all the VAT back on the diesel he buys over here and things like fares etc.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So will he get all the VAT back on the diesel he buys over here and things like fares etc.

I don't know what the extent is but my son (who lives in Cambodia) visits us every 3 months, - on his return he claims back the VAT on all sorts of stuff from clothes to Golf clubs.

It is worth a 'foreigner' investigating what they can claim for.

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't know what the extent is but my son (who lives in Cambodia) visits us every 3 months, - on his return he claims back the VAT on all sorts of stuff from clothes to Golf clubs.

It is worth a 'foreigner' investigating what they can claim for.

But I take it he is taking them out of the country with him

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I really don't want to steer us off topic here, .........

;)

I think I inadvertently did that for you. ?

Thanks to everyone for the lesson in VAT though. I ship boat parts and kits around the world but being in the US I never have had to deal with it. But my customers sometimes mention it, but I really did not know how it worked. So this was interesting.