What price central heating?

onebrownarm

Featured Posts

So I've got the money sorted and I've found a nice looking boat at a nice price but the main reason it's a nice price is that it doesn't have central heating. It has had a system running two radiators of a backboiler but this has been disconnected and the backboiler removed. How much would it cost to retrofit a conventional Webasto-type system, but more to the point, how much should I knock off my offer on the strength of this?

28 minutes ago, onebrownarm said:

So I've got the money sorted and I've found a nice looking boat at a nice price but the main reason it's a nice price is that it doesn't have central heating. It has had a system running two radiators of a backboiler but this has been disconnected and the backboiler removed. How much would it cost to retrofit a conventional Webasto-type system, but more to the point, how much should I knock off my offer on the strength of this?

Starting from scratch - a Webasto install would cost ~ £2000.

You need connections to the fuel tank, exhausts holes cutting into the hull etc etc etc.

The cost of the unit itself will be under 50% of the total cost.

If all of the pipework and radiators are in place it will save a little - but - presumably they were piped forward to the solid fuel fire which will need ripping out and re-piping to the engine hole where (presumably) the Webasto will be located.

Had you thought that the boat may already be 'priced' based on the fact it doesn't have CH ? so there is no justification for expecting a reduction based on that fact.

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, onebrownarm said:

Lots of boats dont ever have central heating, the boat owner/vendor may well have priced it in his opinion without heating? What I will say is that if its a good boat and you try to save a few quid he will sell it anyway, good boats priced correctly sell easily.

1 minute ago, onebrownarm said:

Thanks for that, Alan, that looks like real actual knowledge and very helpful indeed. The boat is certainly attractively priced-I'm really just trying to figure out how good is too good to be true.

You could always post a link to the advert or boat details (or even  private message to some forum members)

Even :

Make

Length

General condition

Price

Would elicit some guidelines

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lots of boats dont ever have central heating, the boat owner/vendor may well have priced it in his opinion without heating? What I will say is that if its a good boat and you try to save a few quid he will sell it anyway, good boats priced correctly sell easily.

Thanks for that, it's just that I haven't looked at one without central heating before. I'm sure he will sell it easily-to me.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You could always post a link to the advert or boat details (or even  private message to some forum members)

Even :

Make

Length

General condition

Price

Would elicit some guidelines

Thanks but I don't think so. You have set my mind at rest and this boat needs no further advertising.

• Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, onebrownarm said:

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think Alan’s £2k is far too low. In fact I’d be surprised if you get change from £2k just for the parts required.  

I’d say the final bill will add up to a good way north of £3k. 

I bow to your greater knowledge - I was simply taking the quote I had for fitting 2 units into the "Cat" and halving it, less a bit for the complexity of crossing between two hulls,