SUPERTHERM changed?

Profzarkov

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuels.php?country=england

The word "Supertherm" is used in 4 different products on the DEFRA approved fuels list. Clicking on the "detailed information" link to the right of the name brings up ingredients. This could explain the difference. 

It seems they do two types one is anthracite/ coal the other is anthracite/petcoke. That could definitely result in a flame colour difference and a smell difference too I suspect.

The one with the line around it is the anthracite/petcoke version the others have no markings apparently.

It seems possible that flue status could also have an effect on the burning. 

That's interesting info, thanks.  My stove manual (Bubble corner) specifically states not to use petcoke fuels.

58 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I generally use smokeless to do this - it also catches and heats very quickly.  I don't see any advantage to using dirty house coal in a stove, so why faff about storing and using 2 fuels when the right choice of smokeless will achieve everything you need with nothing like the smoke?

No faff.  

I’ve always found having a bag of house coal reliable for quickly starting an hot fire. 

Smokeless always seems to take an age to get going. 

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That's interesting info, thanks.  My stove manual (Bubble corner) specifically states not to use petcoke fuels.

I was told once that petcoke fuels burn too hot and can buckle the grates on some stoves. 

12 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Sulphur laden smoke usually has a dirty yellow tinge to it.

I remember, during the days of steam on British Railways, that locomotives' chimneys sometimes emitted smoke which had that yellowish tinge. I never knew why, so thanks for that explanation.

My experience has been that most brands of coal vary over time, with the exception of homefire. They all seem to have bad years eventually, either more ash or changed burning properties. 

6 hours ago, BWM said:

My experience has been that most brands of coal vary over time, with the exception of homefire. They all seem to have bad years eventually, either more ash or changed burning properties. 

I think you're right. I bought some Excel a few weeks ago and it's more difficult to light (needs more draft) and not as hot as last seasons stuff.

Just now, Alway Swilby said:

I think you're right. I bought some Excel a few weeks ago and it's more difficult to light (needs more draft) and not as hot as last seasons stuff.

I think you might be right, as I've found batches of other brands to do the same. The excel fire I'm sitting next to is the last of a previous stock up and it's easy to light, low ash and warm, so I hope I can get the same again very soon.

6 hours ago, BWM said:

And of course the reformulation to meet the non-flammable safety coal standard.

?

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Coal is like steel. The stuff you got back in the day was far better than what you get now, and it was always thus. 

It’s all this cheap Chinese coal that’s not made with the same trees as good old fashioned British coal. 

I know this is true because someone down the pub has a mate who used to go out with the sister of a chap who’s cousin was a coal miner. 

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2