SUPERTHERM changed?

Profzarkov

Featured Posts

Just starts lighting the Squirrel this year and have stocked up with the usual SuperTherm but it seems a bit different .... the coals are covered in a white deposit and it has an unusual blue flame, never seen that before. And shed loads of ash.

Might look for an alternative.

steve

Supertherm is easily identified by a line running through it, as in this picture.

This was introduced to stop inferior smokeless and none smokeless fuel being passed off as Supertherm.

If your fuel is missing the identifying line I'd be asking your supplier questions.

p1020108_med_hr.jpeg

Edited by Liam

22 minutes ago, Profzarkov said:

Just starts lighting the Squirrel this year and have stocked up with the usual SuperTherm but it seems a bit different .... the coals are covered in a white deposit and it has an unusual blue flame, never seen that before. And shed loads of ash.

Might look for an alternative.

steve

I think the white deposit is because it has got wet at some time, it could still be damp of course.

I've personally never been a fan of Supertherm although I do sell a reasonable amount of it.

Newheat is a relatively new brand from Oxbow (who also manufacture Excel and the unapproved non-smokeless Glow and Red). In the short time it's been around it certainly seems to be gaining popularity.

Not the cheapest available, and bloody filthy. I'd suggest making sure you sweep your flue very often if you make a permanent switch to Housecoal.

Very antisocial in a marina environment in my own humble opinion.

19 minutes ago, Liam said:

Not the cheapest available, and bloody filthy. I'd suggest making sure you sweep your flue very often if you make a permanent switch to Housecoal.

Or near any houses, I do rather like the smell myself but many don't 

10 minutes ago, Liam said:

Yes, chimney kept swept. 10 min job. 

I generally use house coal to start a good fire, it catches and heats very quickly. 

Then I put the smokeless ovals on, the fire stays in better and keeps a regular heat. 

I probably buy one house coal to every 4 or 5 other coal. 

I’m not in a marina, usually out in the countryside. 

I'd dry that Supertherm stuff out before using it. Last winter I was using some old Excel which was wet and it completely blocked my flue with a solid cement,, so solid I couln't shift it. In the end I used a length of 3/4'' steel barrel, donking that up and down and that wouldn't shift it either. In the end I flattened one end of it and used it like an auger turning it like a drill from the top with 2 ft Stilsons which eventually broke through it. I usually use Multiheat or Brazier but always dry. I have made a large trivet out of Meccano which covers the entire top of my stove and upon this I place my nuts to dry out. They always seem to be damp or wet unless bagged in mid summer.

With house coal you need to burn it very red hot high heat like a steam engine for it to burn clean and topping it up little and often. It will smoke a lot when first lighting up and puff a bit out every time you top it up. Let it tick over at low heat will blot out the landscape and choke everyone causing illness,severe and unusual weather and atmospheric conditions, strongly assisting lobal warming.

11 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I have made a large trivet out of Meccano which covers the entire top of my stove and upon this I place my nuts to dry out. They always seem to be damp or wet unless bagged in mid summer.

I prefer a towel, less chance of burning something delicate...

24 minutes ago, bizzard said:

With house coal you need to burn it very red hot high heat like a steam engine for it to burn clean and topping it up little and often. It will smoke a lot when first lighting up and puff a bit out every time you top it up. Let it tick over at low heat will blot out the landscape and choke everyone causing illness,severe and unusual weather and atmospheric conditions, strongly assisting lobal warming.

That’s the idea. 

First bit anyway. 

Paper and sticks, a shovel or two of house coal and I’ve a quick fire, heating the place right up. 

When it settles down to a glow on go the ovals, and close the draft. 

And I find good ventilation keeps me nuts dry. 

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

I generally use house coal to start a good fire, it catches and heats very quickly. 

I generally use smokeless to do this - it also catches and heats very quickly.  I don't see any advantage to using dirty house coal in a stove, so why faff about storing and using 2 fuels when the right choice of smokeless will achieve everything you need with nothing like the smoke?

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuels.php?country=england

The word "Supertherm" is used in 4 different products on the DEFRA approved fuels list. Clicking on the "detailed information" link to the right of the name brings up ingredients. This could explain the difference. 

It seems they do two types one is anthracite/ coal the other is anthracite/petcoke. That could definitely result in a flame colour difference and a smell difference too I suspect.

The one with the line around it is the anthracite/petcoke version the others have no markings apparently.

It seems possible that flue status could also have an effect on the burning. 

Edited by magnetman