Mooring fee standards and varying costs.

Unsinkable

Featured Posts

Hello, this is my first post here. I was wondering if there exists any set standards for mooring fees. I've noticed on some websites that many fees are discounted if paid yearly rather than monthly,
should this always be the case or is this purely at the marina owners discretion?
Also without saying too much I'm aware of two narrowboat owners on one marina that are charged different mooring fees despite the boats being the same length, are there any genuine reasons for this?

If it is a CRT long term mooring that was auctioned then you can get people paying different rates for identical moorings depending on how much competition there was at each auction and how much people were willing to pay. The winning bids were sometimes a lot higher than people who were at the mooring prior to the auction system were paying.

If the marina has plenty of spaces and wants some income they will offer discounts.

Long term moorers are often given reductions for 'loyalty' (we were in the same Marina for about 9 years and received 20% below 'list price''.

8 hours ago, Unsinkable said:

I was wondering if there exists any set standards for mooring fees. I've noticed on some websites that many fees are discounted if paid yearly rather than monthly,

Moorings are owned by a multitude of companies and offer a multitude of different services and differing qualities.

Would you expect to pay the same price for a bag of Onions in M&S. Asda, Tesco, Aldi & Lidl ?

Car parking charges vary from place to place. The same is true of boat parking.

I get a very worthwhile  discount for paying a year up front. There is no refund if giving up the mooring early. There is less discount for paying 6 months up front and less still for 3 months. So its easy to see two people could be paying different prices.

On 25/10/2019 at 08:12, Alan de Enfield said:

Would you expect to pay the same price for a bag of Onions in M&S. Asda, Tesco, Aldi & Lidl ?

And if you did, it would breach competition law!   

On 24/10/2019 at 23:11, Unsinkable said:

I was wondering if there exists any set standards for mooring fees

Why would you be wondering this?

21 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

A tad patronising...

I don't see it as patronising in the slightest, can you explain your reasoning? If anything it was a genuine thanks and also served to stimulate more responses.

21 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

Why would you be wondering this?

Because I have the ability to think.

6 minutes ago, Unsinkable said:

What attitude, what are you talking about? This is becoming a bit weird now. I ask some genuine questions and get attacked for it.

So ask the people that can give you answers to a daft question, the marina owners. Its like saying you get more chips at so and so's chippy than the chinese takeaway.

Its a free market economy, price is dictated by facilities, location, availability and demand.

No it isn't like saying you get more chips at so and so chippy, what a ridiculous, simplistic and invalid comparison. I had some normal people replying then two (censored) spoil the thread. I give up. The second sentence in your above reply is also a good answer, what's the crap above it for?

Edited by Unsinkable

On 24/10/2019 at 23:11, Unsinkable said:

Hello, this is my first post here. I was wondering if there exists any set standards for mooring fees.
NO THERE AREN'T, AND WHY SHOULD THERE BE? 
I've noticed on some websites that many fees are discounted if paid yearly rather than monthly,
AND? THERE ARE LOTS OF INSTANCES WHERE YOU GET DISCOUNT FOR PAYING IN ADVANCE IN MANY DIFFERENT SPHERES.
should this always be the case or is this purely at the marina owners discretion?
THE MARINAS ARE A BUSINESS AND ARE THEREFORE FREE TO SET THEIR FEES AT WHAT EVER THEY LIKE, SO YES IT IS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
Also without saying too much I'm aware of two narrowboat owners on one marina that are charged different mooring fees despite the boats being the same length, are there any genuine reasons for this?

PROBABLY BUT THAT IS BETWEEN THEM AND THE MARINA OWNERS, AND NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. 
GET OVER IT.
LIFE'S A BITCH AND THEN YOU'RE DEAD.

2 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Hello, this is my first post here. I was wondering if there exists any set standards for mooring fees.
NO THERE AREN'T, AND WHY SHOULD THERE BE? 
I've noticed on some websites that many fees are discounted if paid yearly rather than monthly,
AND? THERE ARE LOTS OF INSTANCES WHERE YOU GET DISCOUNT FOR PAYING IN ADVANCE IN MANY DIFFERENT SPHERES.
THE MARINAS ARE A BUSINESS AND ARE THEREFORE FREE TO SET THEIR FEES AT WHAT EVER THEY LIKE, SO YES IT IS AT THEIR DISCRETION.

PROBABLY BUT THAT IS BETWEEN THEM AND THE MARINA OWNERS, AND NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. 
GET OVER IT.
LIFE'S A BITCH AND THEN YOU'RE DEAD.

I'm sure you got upset at someone being nasty (who actually wansn't), the other day, neither did he shout at you.

Edited by matty40s