Vacuflush cassette toilet problem

blackrose

Featured Posts

I've got an odd problem with my vacuflush which I've never seen before. I've had the toilet for 15 years and gave it a full service, new seals, etc, about 2 years ago. It's been working perfectly since then but today it's acting very strangely. The vacuum pump activates when I flush and the green indicator light is on, but there's no vacuum formed underneath the bowl, no pop when I flush and the water in the bowl just falls into the waste pipe rather than being sucked in.

I changed the cassette to see if it was full but not switching the system off (it should do that automatically when it's full) but the same thing is happening with an empty cassette. 

Are there any vacuflush owners who could shed some light? If not I'll call LeeSan in the morning.

Thanks

Ours has done this occasionally, always due to a slight blockage in the pipe. I have one of those springy drain cleaners that I work down the pipe from the bowl end, after switching the water off. Usually get a sudden splurge and all is clear.

When it started occurring more often I spoke the Leesan and then replaced the suction pipe. When I cut the old one open I was surprised how much the internal diameter had been reduced by limescale and uric acid buildup.

I had the same problem with the suction pipe almost blocked with uric acid and limescale similarly as a liveaboard with more than 10 years use.  I gave it to Leesan to use as a demonstration of how the build up can happen over time.  Suggest using de-scaler fluid regularly.

8 hours ago, pearley said:

Ours has done this occasionally, always due to a slight blockage in the pipe. I have one of those springy drain cleaners that I work down the pipe from the bowl end, after switching the water off. Usually get a sudden splurge and all is clear.

When it started occurring more often I spoke the Leesan and then replaced the suction pipe. When I cut the old one open I was surprised how much the internal diameter had been reduced by limescale and uric acid buildup.

Yes you were right. I did some tests with LeeSan over the phone this morning after which the bloke concluded that my vacuum pump was working excellently considering it's 15 years old (liveaboard use) and told me to check the waste pipe. It was a massive shit blockage right below the bowl. I basically donned some latex gloves and got stuck in and got the shit out. Bloody disgusting! ? It's never happened before. I guess I've been eating too much roughage!

I pushed the springy drain unblocker down the pipe too for good measure. It's now in a bucket of water and detergent outside. I think I'm going to regularly put a dilution of hot water and washing detergent down the toilet every few weeks from now on.

6 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

I had the same problem with the suction pipe almost blocked with uric acid and limescale similarly as a liveaboard with more than 10 years use.  I gave it to Leesan to use as a demonstration of how the build up can happen over time.  Suggest using de-scaler fluid regularly.

Won't that damage the seals? How about vinegar?

9 hours ago, pearley said:

Do you think it's worth me replacing the waste pipe now even though it's working fine again? It's not a job that I'd relish!

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Do you think it's worth me replacing the waste pipe now even though it's working fine again? It's not a job that I'd relish!

I would say yes. Our 2 inch pipe was down to less than 1 inch after 10 years. Not the easiest of jobs but not exactly difficult either.

17 minutes ago, pearley said:

I would say yes. Our 2 inch pipe was down to less than 1 inch after 10 years. Not the easiest of jobs but not exactly difficult either.

No it's not difficult at all and I have a spare 2m of vetus flexible sanitation pipe that's been hanging around in my engine hole for the past 15 years waiting for just this opportunity. But I imagine removing the old waste pipe from the toilet isn't a very nice job! 

Mind you probably no worse that what I was doing today.