Rockwood or 25mm Kingspan

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Builder's spray foam and cut back?

I'm a huge fan of builder's foam but the problem here is that it's open cell structure so absorbs water.

Edited by stegra
Changed my mind about it not being very compressible after poking some.

On 25/10/2019 at 10:09, nb Innisfree said:

Boater next to us during fitout stuck Celotex or Kingspan (can't remember which) to the steel shell, sealed joints with aerosol foam then stuck 6mm ply on that, the result was very solid, it felt like a brick wall if it was thumped. 

Said Steve Haywood.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stegra said:

I'm a huge fan of builder's foam but the problem here is that it's open cell structure so absorbs water.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerosol-Expanding-Filling-Fixing-Insulating/dp/B00H3JMV6M

Says its predominately closed cell ad other sites seem to list closed cell.

Thanks guys. I already have closed cell foam tape on order which will at least provide some coverage of the steel to stave off condensation, but I was thinking that properly filling the void with insulation would be better. I have a decent foam gun so can use expanding foam, but I'm not sure about the ease of filling the space without expanding over boundaries and causing a mess. It is an option though. I was hoping to stuff something in there, thus making adjustment easy when fitting the trim.

I was thinking that a Rockwool type material would maybe do if there's one that won't get damp or be an irritant.  I'll bet there's a lot of boats out there with this hidden issue.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I was thinking that a Rockwool type material would maybe do if there's one that won't get damp or be an irritant.  I'll bet there's a lot of boats out there with this hidden issue.

3M Thinsulate https://www.amazon.com/Thinsulate-Acoustic-Thermal-Insulation-SM600L/dp/B074XLDV58

Thank you chaps! I now feel sure I'm not missing out on "Acme Super Fluff Waterproof Thermal Boat Window Void Filler" or similar if I opt for one of the less bespoke solutions above. I'd have kicked myself if I'd later found out I could have injected something with the consistency of candy floss! Thanks again for the suggestions.  :)

On 25/10/2019 at 08:53, cuthound said:

An easier to fit DIY insulation is 3M Thinsulate.

https://www.amazon.com/Thinsulate-Acoustic-Thermal-Insulation-SM600L/dp/B074XLDV58

My boat is insulated with it. It is almost, but not quite as good a thermal insulator as sprayfoam, and a much better acoustic insulator.

It is gkued to the steelwork with a tacky spray adhesive and easily removed should localised welding is necessary. 

Not cheap though.

Hi kida.

As you know i have another project on the go and have been thinking on spray foam either DIY or professiaonl to do it when i get a price.  

This SM600L Where did you get it from as all i can find is from overseas. 

Little tempted as the spray foam will be near £600 for the Norman, well thats for the DIY Kit.

Admiral Faffer :)

6 minutes ago, W+T said:

Hi kida.

As you know i have another project on the go and have been thinking on spray foam either DIY or professiaonl to do it when i get a price.  

This SM600L Where did you get it from as all i can find is from overseas. 

Little tempted as the spray foam will be near £600 for the Norman, well thats for the DIY Kit.

Admiral Faffer :)

Try contacting 3M UK.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-uk/3m-products/~/3M-Thinsulate-Acoustic-Insulation-SM600L/?N=5002385+8711747+3292659035&rt=rud