Tyler Wilson weed hatch shute

MHS

Featured Posts

Our Tyler Wilson has the shute arrangement for the weedhatch. 

The Shute has always had water in so I decided to put a new neoprene seal on it. Now that’s done, it’s still leaking in, even though I’ve tapped the handle tight with a mallet. 

Have other owners found the same issue and if so, has it caused any issues? 

Just now, adam1uk said:

Mine has water above the plate.  Why would it matter?

It doesn’t, but at really high revs on the tidal Trent last week, we could hear the plate rattling. We wondered if this was due to the fact that the hatch doesn’t seem to seal correctly. 

I was interested to find out if it was just ours. 

43 minutes ago, MHS said:

It doesn’t, but at really high revs on the tidal Trent last week, we could hear the plate rattling. We wondered if this was due to the fact that the hatch doesn’t seem to seal correctly. 

I was interested to find out if it was just ours. 

The only time I’ve ever heard rattling was when it had worked loose.  But I always tighten it with a few taps with the lump hammer, so that doesn’t happen very often.

8 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

The only time I’ve ever heard rattling was when it had worked loose.  But I always tighten it with a few taps with the lump hammer, so that doesn’t happen very often.

It was already really tight then, but I was doing 1700 revs into a strong headwind and choppy tide on the bow. I actually checked it with a hammer as Wendy took the helm and I couldn’t (sensibly) get it any tighter with a hammer. 

3 hours ago, MHS said:

The Shute has always had water in so I decided to put a new neoprene seal on it. Now that’s done, it’s still leaking in, even though I’ve tapped the handle tight with a mallet. 

Im not an owner, but I've seen lots, and never seen a dry one unless the boat has been in a dry dock or craned out.

7 hours ago, MHS said:

Mine's an Orion but has the same ducted weed hatch.

We have always had a bit of water in it, the seal is not complete  (the bilge pump empties into it) but we have had no problems with excess water, it's never much above the outside water line.

I'm not familiar with the design but with boat design you tend to you get what you pay for.?

Seriously though, if you're all doing what it sounds like then I'd be very careful about over-tightening your weed hatches. You shouldn't need to tighten the lid with a lump hammer and you run the risk of stripping the thread, not realising and potentially having a loose weed hatch on the tidal Trent. I wouldn't fancy that. 

As I say, I'm not familiar with the design but a properly sealed weed hatch should only need to be hand tightened.

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I'm not familiar with the design but with boat design you tend to you get what you pay for.?

Seriously though, if you're all doing what it sounds like then I'd be very careful about over-tightening your weed hatches. You shouldn't need to tighten the lid with a lump hammer and you run the risk of stripping the thread, not realising and potentially having a loose weed hatch on the tidal Trent. I wouldn't fancy that. 

As I say, I'm not familiar with the design but a properly sealed weed hatch should only need to be hand tightened.

I think from what I have read he could throw the weed hatch cover overboard and not have a problem with flooding. I think that is the idea of this design

53 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think from what I have read he could throw the weed hatch cover overboard and not have a problem with flooding. I think that is the idea of this design

Yes, there is no chance of flooding but leaving the hatch off does affect performance.

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

Generally Tyler Wilson shells are reckoned to be very good quality. Ours is 5 years old and we’ve been chuffed to it’s with its performance and looks. 

It’s a very gentle tap with the hammer for the last 1/2 turn. It’s all very solid so unlikely to strip the thread.