Smokey engine.

Gillyg

Featured Posts

Hi there, sorry this is all new to me.! I recently had a reconditioned engine put in my 52ft Springer (about a year ago. The engine was like for like lister lpws4. The last month or so I've noticed that it's very smokey (Black smoke) even on tick-over, much worse when revving. I've changed the oil and filters and also put marine16 in the diesel tank. Any ideas please?

22 minutes ago, Gillyg said:

Hi there, sorry this is all new to me.! I recently had a reconditioned engine put in my 52ft Springer (about a year ago. The engine was like for like lister lpws4. The last month or so I've noticed that it's very smokey (Black smoke) even on tick-over, much worse when revving. I've changed the oil and filters and also put marine16 in the diesel tank. Any ideas please?

When was the recon engine fitted? One month ago?

Point being, has it ever worked correctly, or did it run perfectly well for months or years before this problem arose?

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

When was the recon engine fitted? One month ago?

Point being, has it ever worked correctly, or did it run perfectly well for months or years before this problem arose?

The op says about a year ago old bean.

As far as I know, black smoke from a diesel engine usually indicates unburnt diesel being mixed with the exhaust and is caused by a fuel/air inbalance. i.e:- too much diesel, or not enough air. Have you checked whether the air filter is blocked?

Edited by David Schweizer

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

As far as I know, black smoke from a diesel engine usually indicates unburnt diesel being mixed with the exhaust and is caused by a fuel/air inbalance. i.e.:-too much diesel, or not enough air, have you checked whether the air filter is blocked. 

I agree - or anything else that may stop lots of air getting into the engine area.

Just checked the manual and there does not seem to be separate cold start control that could stick and a sit idles it is unlikely to be a sticky rack in the injector pump.

The only other thing is as I suspect it is a direct injected engine that are more susceptible to smoke at low speeds is something holding the engine revs down so the       pump is trying to accelerate it by injecting more fuel and over fuelling for the speed it is running at. Is the prop fouled?