Electric - Never seen this before.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

The new marina has a very 'handy' electric bollard system.

Feed it up with electric card(s) to whatever value you want and remove your card.

If you change moorings, go out for a few weeks, go to another marina or whatever you can insert your card, press the red button and it puts back any unused leccy onto the card.

Your leccy cannot be used by anyone whilst you are away from the mooring.

Much simpler than the C&RT system and I'd suggest ideal for when the 'electric boat charging bollards' are introduced.

20191024_101547.jpg

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Feed it up with electric card(s) to whatever value you want and remove your card.

If you change moorings, go out for a few weeks, go to another marina or whatever you can insert your card, press the red button and it puts back any unused leccy onto the card.

Much simpler than the C&RT system and I'd suggest ideal for when the 'electric boat charging bollards' are introduced.

20191024_101547.jpg

The spiders like the meter as well....

One's Marina send a flunky around quarterly and reads the meter - then send me a bill.

But things are posh on the Thames

'We' also have visits from HMQ's rowing boat - and I didn't see a meter attached...

It's posh down here...

25 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

We' also have visits from HMQ's rowing boat - and I didn't see a meter attached...

It's posh down here...

Rowing boat?

When I lived on The Thames in the weir stream at Eton with a nice view of Windsor castle from my boat, they used to turn up once in a while in a beautiful Thames Conservancy launch in full RN styley uniform complete with scrambled egg on their peaked caps, to check our licenses. 

Country's gorn to the dogs....

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They’re rolling these out at Mercia, though without the helpful label reminding you how to use it. Makes life much easier for us residentials when we boat shuffle every six months, before we had to settle up the difference in balances every time. Only slight downside is that the meter displays the credit as kWh rather than money.

The next thing we’ve got to look forward to is fibre broadband to the bollards and lodges. I kid you not, should be in by Xmas.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Rowing boat?

When I lived on The Thames in the weir stream at Eton with a nice view of Windsor castle from my boat, they used to turn up once in a while in a beautiful Thames Conservancy launch in full RN styley uniform complete with scrambled egg on their peaked caps, to check our licenses. 

Country's gorn to the dogs....

Yup - this one, got to do things in style....

image.jpeg.bc3711d5f57695629b91379cc2d9fbcb.jpeg

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

20191024_101547.jpg

Pretty sure they are the same as the ones at Barton when we visited this Spring. Only there one night so didn't have time to work out what the display meant.

Strangely relevant to this post it is a fact that the Queen's rowing barge IS electric.

Seems it has duplex systems which will run completely independently.

I don't know how I know!

Farndon marina is changing to a similar new electricity bollards but not that exact product. I doubt two marinas will be the same except by chance or if under the same ownership.

Advantage to the punter?  Only being able to see how much electricity is being consumed via a smartphone app. That could be a good thing in the winter – to remotely check the power supply has not been cut.

Advantage to marina? -  They have no involvement with reading meters , sending invoices for electricity or collecting the money

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

That is what we have in Great Haywood marina, whenever we go out for longer than a weekend I take the credit off our meter on to our card.

Seems a lot of fiddling around - I just take my power line with me (built in meter)

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

Seems a lot of fiddling around - I just take my power line with me (built in meter)

Stops someone else plugging in to our bollard and using the credit. When out for several weeks it isn't unusual for someone to use the mooring if they come in for a temporary mooring. What we tend to find is they will then put credit on the meter and leave it so when we come back we get some free electricity so happy for the marina to let our mooring to someone else when we aren't using it.

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The C&RT system isn't that complicated.

Once your account is set up put money onto it via the website.

At the mooring find the control tower nearest to your pontoon

Enter your Account No and your PIN

Enter the ID of the power outlet you are plugged in to.

Balance is shown and power is turned on.

If you unplug the cable from the  power outlet it turns the power off.... and sends you an email.

You can leave the power on and keep an eye on power usage and top it up from the website.

You can turn the power off from the website (and they claim you can turn it back on too).

If you move mooring you just need the new socket number. 

As there is no card then my brother and I can both use the power without having to keep passing a card between us.

16 minutes ago, StephenA said:

The C&RT system isn't that complicated.

Once your account is set up put money onto it via the website.

At the mooring find the control tower nearest to your pontoon

Enter your Account No and your PIN

Enter the ID of the power outlet you are plugged in to.

Balance is shown and power is turned on.

If you unplug the cable from the  power outlet it turns the power off.... and sends you an email.

You can leave the power on and keep an eye on power usage and top it up from the website.

You can turn the power off from the website (and they claim you can turn it back on too).

If you move mooring you just need the new socket number. 

As there is no card then my brother and I can both use the power without having to keep passing a card between us.

But - currently they have different 'systems' on different regions (no joined up thinking).

You then need different 'tokens' for the multitude of pump-out machines.

If C&RT standardised on these 'smart meters' you just carry your card and can plug in anywhere be it an overnight mooring, a pumpout or recharging your electric-boat.

C&RT inherited an uncoordinated 'mess' from BW but they have certainly managed to continue increasing the problems & complexities for the boaters.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But - currently they have different 'systems' on different regions (no joined up thinking).

You then need different 'tokens' for the multitude of pump-out machines.

If C&RT standardised on these 'smart meters' you just carry your card and can plug in anywhere be it an overnight mooring, a pumpout or recharging your electric-boat.

C&RT inherited an uncoordinated 'mess' from BW but they have certainly managed to continue increasing the problems & complexities for the boaters.

You've got it a big wrong Alan. This system, MeterMacs, is only for those moorings administered by Waterside Moorings. It is easy to use, and once you have an account you can move from site to site and plug in.

Over the last couple of years we have plugged in at Sneyd, Ocker Hill,  Cuckoo Wharf and Boston. We would also have plugged in at Friars Mill, Leicester if the bollards had been connected.

I get your point on pre paid cards. I think there are at least 3 different systems in use around the country for electricity but I thought that pumpout cards were now standardised.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I will not hold my breath.

As a visitor to West Stockwith we are not permitted access to shore power . This is despite more than adequate sockets and a modern system of activating those sockets.  I have offered to pay .

C&RT prefer the noise and fumes from my generator . 

46 minutes ago, pearley said:

This system, MeterMacs, is only for those moorings administered by Waterside Moorings. It is easy to use, and once you have an account you can move from site to site and plug in.

Over the last couple of years we have plugged in at Sneyd, Ocker Hill,  Cuckoo Wharf and Boston. We would also have plugged in at Friars Mill, Leicester if the bollards had been connected.

The bollards on our mooring were replaced with this system about a couple of years ago. Very handy if you're using a corded power tool away from your boat at the end of the mooring where there's space for outdoor work.