RCR tutorials

frahkn

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

My wife wants to learn about engine servicing (a Beta 43) and is interested in one of the "on your own boat" courses from RCR.

Does anyone know if these courses are any good in practice?

there is a three page article in the November edition of Canal Boat magazine about attending one of their courses

I did the on your own boat course which I would say was ok but could depend on who you get running it. They basically watch you doing an oil and filter change and a few basic checks. They didn't tell me I had a filter in my fuel pump though so not brilliant.

This would be handy for me to know also... I'm about to service our Beta 43 after purchasing the boat. I think I've watched enough YouTube videos and gained advice enough to do it. The Beta manual itself gives lots of information. I've got the oil/fuel and air filter and also the correct oil. My only hesitation is with the inline fuel filter that separates any water... I'm not sure if this is an actual filter in the sense it need replacing or just a clean out one (or just open the bottom to remove water?).... I'll check when back at the boat...

9 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

This would be handy for me to know also... I'm about to service our Beta 43 after purchasing the boat. I think I've watched enough YouTube videos and gained advice enough to do it. The Beta manual itself gives lots of information. I've got the oil/fuel and air filter and also the correct oil. My only hesitation is with the inline fuel filter that separates any water... I'm not sure if this is an actual filter in the sense it need replacing or just a clean out one (or just open the bottom to remove water?).... I'll check when back at the boat...

The pre-filter doesn't come with a Beta engine Rob, they just say in their installation instructions that one must be fitted. I'm pretty sure that if you identify the unit itself or post a photo someone will help you there.

8 hours ago, frahkn said:

My wife wants to learn about engine servicing (a Beta 43) and is interested in one of the "on your own boat" courses from RCR.

Does anyone know if these courses are any good in practice?

I did one when I bought my boat, to refresh my memory and increase my confidence after years of company car ownership.

You get 4 hours, during which the instructor gets you to service your own boat (change engine oil & filters, clean agglommerator, change gearbox oil etc, under his instruction. The remaining time in my case was spent advising me of all sorts of helpful tricks, like painting the engine stop solenoid red, so in case of failure it can be quickly identified and the engine stopped, advising where cables & pipes could chafe and putting a short length of split hose on them to protect them.

Money well spent in my case.

41 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks seadog... picture of it below, sorry its not very clear..... I hope I've not hijacked this thread.. so sorry if I have!!!

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Not a great picture, but typically such things have a gauze filter which can be cleaned. The main thing is to drain off any debris and water which has collected in the bottom of it. Obviously the fuel filter mounted on the engine can only be replaced, not cleaned.

26 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

If anyone is interested, I found this helpful when looking to service the Beta 43, pity he'd already done the oil itself. but useful nevertheless:

Where can I get a pair of knees like his..? ?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Slim said:

Where can I get a pair of knees like his..? ?

Mind you the video doesn't actually show him getting out of the engine hole. I reckon he had a couple of guys ready to lift him out when he had finished. ?

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks seadog... picture of it below, sorry its not very clear..... I hope I've not hijacked this thread.. so sorry if I have!!!

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Looks like a Wasp filter.  Usually fitted with a metal mesh element, but can have a paper one. Spare seals are available from Wasp, or elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Looks like a Wasp filter.  Usually fitted with a metal mesh element, but can have a paper one. Spare seals are available from Wasp, or elsewhere.

Yes, definatly  WASP filter, my boat has one with a reusable stainless steel mesh element. Simply wash it out in clean diesel.

The man delivering my RCR "on the boat" training showed me how to clean it. The hardest part is getting the seal to stay in place whilst you tighten the bowl back up. A blob of grease helps hold it in place.

At the bottom of the wasp filter bowl is a little thumb screw.  Loosen it a bit and fluid will drain out assuming the base of the filter is below the fuel level in the tank. You need the fuel supply tap on to ‘push’ fluid out of the filter.  Run it into a clean ideally clear container until water stops and diesel comes out.  If a clear container easy to see the interface between water and diesel, as diesel sits on top.  I drain every few months and have never had any water, so don’t be worried if it is only clean diesel.

Clean diesel goes back in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2019 at 12:38, cuthound said:

Yes, definatly  WASP filter, my boat has one with a reusable stainless steel mesh element. Simply wash it out in clean diesel.

The man delivering my RCR "on the boat" training showed me how to clean it. The hardest part is getting the seal to stay in place whilst you tighten the bowl back up. A blob of grease helps hold it in place.

Just been back to the boat and you're absolutely correct it is a wasp filter - W-30STM/D. Not sue if its a paper or metal filter. I keep reading its not easy to re-assemble once you open it and you need to get a seal kit?  Do you know where these might be available from?  I presume it would be wise for me to get in  a paper filter just in case its not the metal one then I can replace..? Am I correct in thinking to open this up its just nut in the centre on top?

Edited by robtheplod

58 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Just been back to the boat and you're absolutely correct it is a wasp filter - W-30STM/D. Not sue if its a paper or metal filter. I keep reading its not easy to re-assemble once you open it and you need to get a seal kit?  Do you know where these might be available from?  I presume it would be wise for me to get in  a paper filter just in case its not the metal one then I can replace..? Am I correct in thinking to open this up its just nut in the centre on top?

The seal on mine is an O ring, which I reuse. The problem is that bit sits in a groove in the top part, so gravity wants to pull it done. I solve this problem by using a couple of blobs of grease to hold the O ring in place.

Not sure if the paper and metal elements are interchangable, if you contact the manufacturers of the WASP filter I am sure they will advise you. This link seems to suggest they are interchangeable.

https://www.separ.co.uk/product/diesel-biodiesel-fuel-filters-water-separators/wasp-filters/106-wasp-w-30-range

Yes undo the top bolt to remove the bowl but make sure you have turned the fuel off first. Mine has an inline valve just before the filter for this purpose.

• Greenie 1

Thanks Cuthound, I've ordered a set of rings and a paper filter (just in case its a paper one in there). I have to say the service at Separ is excellent. They emailed me the service info for the filter also (if anyone wants this just PM me)...

One last question on this, assuming a filter is in there - how often do people examine/clean their inline filters (take them apart etc)?  Is it a job usually done as the same time as main fuel filter?

25 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks Cuthound, I've ordered a set of rings and a paper filter (just in case its a paper one in there). I have to say the service at Separ is excellent. They emailed me the service info for the filter also (if anyone wants this just PM me)...

One last question on this, assuming a filter is in there - how often do people examine/clean their inline filters (take them apart etc)?  Is it a job usually done as the same time as main fuel filter?

I check to see if there is any water in the bowl a couple of times a year (by loosening the drain bolt at the bottom) and drain the water off if necessary.

Initially I cleaned it annually, as it doesn't often get any sedimentation in it, now clean it every other year.