Birmingham BCN Old Wharf-Worcester Bar

Martin@75

Featured Posts

Just looking at what was the entry bridge into what was the BCN “Old Wharf” basins adjacent to Worcester Bar.

The area over the other side of this (Bridge Street Br) is part of the big new Birmingham city centre redevelopment.

Can anybody tell me if this bridge will be opened up to provide a pedestrian subway under Bridge St from the new development area into the existing basin area.

It would seem to be an obvious traffic free element by which to link the development to the canals pedestrian systems. 
Yet I can not see any obvious evidence as yet.

13 minutes ago, Martin@75 said:

Even if the bridge hole was destroyed.

With a development of this size to put in a new arch would be peanuts. 

After all the city council are supposed to be trying to make the city centre more pedestrian friendly.

last year in Dcember, we managed to walk from the Gas Street area - ICC right along a lovely snow covered pedestrian traffic free walkway to the Museum/Town Hall square - some bits weren't quite finished, but thousands were enjoying it daily.

We tried the same last week and ended up walking a mile more than we did last year as its cut off for 200 yards, whilst they destroy a bit that was new last year....and the town hall square is also half dug up for re-laying- 2 years after it was done last time.....

There is NO joined up thinking in Birmingham....as there isnt  anywhere ...anymore....hey ho...

Edited by matty40s

Yes we did that as well. 

Re Joined up thinking.

848371222_Screenshot2019-10-23at20_53_46.png.1cc8bc9def249f022af77a130720c354.png If you check out the old OS sheet for the area it can be seen that at least one arm of the Old Wharf would or could have run between two of the new development sites in what I understand will be "Public Realm" land. so in theory it could have been restored as a landscape focal point.

Now that would have given Birminghams bid for WHS listing a boost.

I can’t see this is a big issue. Not given the number of pedestrianised routes that do exist (at least when they are reopened) to get between the main areas people actually want to transit between. Would a completely rebuilt section of canal on land that is going through at least it’s second round of complete regeneration sway anything to do with World Heritage Site evaluation (assuming that’s you meant by WHS)? I didn’t even now that was a consideration. What such a scheme would do is wipe a few million pounds off the benefits of the regeneration. It’s similar to the reason why the Dudley Canal at Selly Oak is not being restored on its original line.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

On 24/10/2019 at 08:30, Captain Pegg said:

I can’t see this is a big issue. Not given the number of pedestrianised routes that do exist (at least when they are reopened) to get between the main areas people actually want to transit between. Would a completely rebuilt section of canal on land that is going through at least it’s second round of complete regeneration sway anything to do with World Heritage Site evaluation (assuming that’s you meant by WHS)? I didn’t even now that was a consideration. What such a scheme would do is wipe a few million pounds off the benefits of the regeneration. It’s similar to the reason why the Dudley Canal at Selly Oak is not being restored on its original line.

JP

You must remember a project like this takes well over 10's of years to come to fruition so initially WHS would not have been considered.
As what could have been a dynamic water axis would have been in "Public Open Space" it would have enhanced both local land value civic pride and the cities world profile.
In comparison Selly Oak would be cleaning up the back yard no comparison at all.
A better comparison would be with the Washington Monument Reflecting Pool for effect.

Or check out my Livorno’s, New Venice, Canal Restoration in Tuscany.for Property value Regeneration. 

On 23/10/2019 at 21:02, Martin@75 said:

"

Edited by Martin@75

11 minutes ago, Martin@75 said:

You must remember a project like this takes well over 10's of years to come to fruition so initially WHS would not have been considered.
As what could have been a dynamic water axis would have been in "Public Open Space" it would have enhanced both local land value civic pride and the cities world profile.
In comparison Selly Oak would be cleaning up the back yard no comparison at all.
A better comparison would be with the Washington Monument Reflecting Pool for effect.

Or check out my http:/braggaboutlife.com/world-waterways/livono-tuscany  for Property value Regeneration. 

It’d be a stagnant ‘pond’ in a high rise cul-de-sac. I’m an active promoter of Birmingham and it’s canals but I just can’t get excited about this. Had the wharf never have been infilled and it’s surrounding buildings never been razed then it would be an entirely different matter. What you propose is fake heritage. Public open space it may be but I suspect it’s still private land?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

21 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

It’d be a stagnant ‘pond’ in a high rise cul-de-sac. I’m an active promoter of Birmingham and it’s canals but I just can’t get excited about this. Had the wharf never have been infilled and its surrounding buildings never been razed then it would be an entirely different matter. What you propose is fake heritage. Public open space it may be but I suspect it’s still private land?

JP

Good to have a positive outlook. 

Leeds stagnant high rise pond.IMG_3625.jpeg.ea1d1a13ab59e9d41c4f499c2200dae8.jpeg

Paddington Basin Dead End has thousands of visitors each year. 2016

Most sending pic’s round the world on Face Book each day.

IMG_8331.jpg.ca671b3d0ed17ce1458a678a9698e2f2.jpgIMG_3991.jpeg.e90be11b157ad490fcb16befa94a498a.jpeg

Day or Night

The stagnant Nyhaven Canal the same but in the million’s

Just look at any Poster advertising Copenhagen.

or 

marm1.jpg.b305e52704bb945eaaa76967d2de4bdc.jpg

Livorno Regeneration

if it was filled in they just dig up the road and put it back!

arch.png.22b28b17bb6586b1fad547526fb27023.png

digging.png.533b7508550d66b2084ebf7a10d59e7a.png

All that is needed is imagination and the desire. The cash will come.

It's not the cash that's difficult its the imagination.

Pisa

This dead end was created by the RAF.

Some site clearance takes a little longer.

IMG_1873.jpeg.5a1c27a0dd17518bc91f2f24d2ce3f96.jpeg

arch.png

Edited by Martin@75

24 minutes ago, Martin@75 said:

Good to have a positive outlook. 

Leeds stagnant high rise pond.IMG_3625.jpeg.ea1d1a13ab59e9d41c4f499c2200dae8.jpeg

Paddington Basin Dead End has thousands of visitors each year. 2016

Most sending pic’s round the world on Face Book each day.

IMG_8331.jpg.ca671b3d0ed17ce1458a678a9698e2f2.jpgIMG_3991.jpeg.e90be11b157ad490fcb16befa94a498a.jpeg

Day or Night

The stagnant Nyhaven Canal the same but in the million’s

Just look at any Poster advertising Copenhagen.

or 

marm1.jpg.b305e52704bb945eaaa76967d2de4bdc.jpg

Livorno Regeneration

if it was filled in they just dig up the road and put it back!

arch.png.22b28b17bb6586b1fad547526fb27023.png

digging.png.533b7508550d66b2084ebf7a10d59e7a.png

All that is needed is imagination and the desire. The cash will come.

It's not the cash that's difficult its the imagination.

Pisa

This dead end was created by the RAF.

Some site clearance takes a little longer.

IMG_1873.jpeg.5a1c27a0dd17518bc91f2f24d2ce3f96.jpeg

arch.png

As a boater I assume you are actually familiar with what Birmingham has been doing with its city centre waterfront for the past 30 years?