Starts At: Lock 22
Ends At: Lock 22
Up Stream Winding Hole: Stoke Wharf
Down Stream Winding Hole: Below Lock 19

Tuesday 22 October 2019 20:00 until Wednesday 23 October 2019 19:00

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Boat damage

Original message:

A vessel has become stuck in Lock 22, both the Trust and RCR will be attempting to recover this vessel as soon as we have enough light to be able to conduct the work safely.

We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause.

This notice will be updated as soon as the vessel is free.

Just in case anyone’s heading this way.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

My money is on fenders down and a very slightly narrower lock.

Whether it is or not, I really don't get why there is so much resistance to this simple seaman-like precaution. However, I've seen enough here to know that trying to convince some folk is a losing battle. Keep trying though, my old chocolate hobnob: tis a noble dead horse you're flogging! :D

• Greenie 2

51 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Whether it is or not, I really don't get why there is so much resistance to this simple seaman-like precaution.

How can you not 'get' that boats cruising with side fenders down occasionally:

1) Get hung up in locks

2) Lose the side fenders which then get caught on other boat's propellers?

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

1) Get hung up in locks

I think he's saying he deosn't get why people don't bother to lift them

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

1) Get hung up in locks

^^^^ Wot @sirweste said Mike - I was supporting the crumbly one's point.. To rephrase, I don't get why there's so much resistance to taking such a simple precaution as raising fenders when under way.

• Greenie 1

Overplating gone wrong, the boat had been on hardstanding for a few years before being refloated and on it's way down the W&B with new owners. No fenders down, just a very wide boat! RCR had to grind some of the rubbing strakes down. Apparently, there were a few tight scrapes getting down Tardebigge before getting fully wedged at Lock 22. The boat is now stuck in the pound below daring not to move on.

20191023_075753.jpg

On 24/10/2019 at 08:22, Sea Dog said:

Whether it is or not, I really don't get why there is so much resistance to this simple seaman-like precaution. However, I've seen enough here to know that trying to convince some folk is a losing battle. Keep trying though, my old chocolate hobnob: tis a noble dead horse you're flogging! :D

Do you ever see seagoing ships going round with fenders down. Navy regulations insist they are up within 30 seconds of leaving a berth. So it is actually very un-seamanlike to travel fenders down, beside which I guarantee the stone protrusion will land between them 99 % of the time. 

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

^^^^ Wot @sirweste said Mike - I was supporting the crumbly one's point.. To rephrase, I don't get why there's so much resistance to taking such a simple precaution as raising fenders when under way.

Oh I see. My apologies. 

From the post you quoted, it read to me as though you were supporting the idea of NOT lifting fenders whilst cruising!

8 hours ago, XJW said:

Overplating gone wrong, the boat had been on hardstanding for a few years before being refloated and on it's way down the W&B with new owners. No fenders down, just a very wide boat! RCR had to grind some of the rubbing strakes down. Apparently, there were a few tight scrapes getting down Tardebigge before getting fully wedged at Lock 22. The boat is now stuck in the pound below daring not to move on.

20191023_075753.jpg

That must be absolutely heartbreaking for the new owners. 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh I see. My apologies. 

From the post you quoted, it read to me as though you were supporting the idea of NOT lifting fenders whilst cruising!

Although I was giving my unequivocal support to @TheBiscuits assertion that fenders should not be down, I think it is now clear to me that I might not been quite as clear as I clearly thought I might have been!

8 hours ago, Detling said:

Do you ever see seagoing ships going round with fenders down. Navy regulations insist they are up within 30 seconds of leaving a berth. So it is actually very un-seamanlike to travel fenders down, beside which I guarantee the stone protrusion will land between them 99 % of the time. 

I agree. I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave a few moments ago. :)

9 hours ago, XJW said:

The boat is now stuck in the pound below daring not to move on.

On the plus side, they’ll have plenty of time to explore Webb’s of Wychbold, a garden centre so big, they organise coach trips to visit, with the “tourists” stopping overnight at the Holiday Inn!

11 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

On the plus side, they’ll have plenty of time to explore Webb’s of Wychbold, a garden centre so big, they organise coach trips to visit, with the “tourists” stopping overnight at the Holiday Inn!

I understand they're planning to add a small gardening section soon too to complement the 3 acres of tatt they flog.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I understand they're planning to add a small gardening section soon too to complement the 3 acres of tatt they flog.

Ain’t that the truth. With an appalling overpriced cafe to go with it. It used to be OK.

They can at least visit Hanbury Hall or the Avoncroft Museum. Very bad situation for them though.

JP

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 08:14, Sea Dog said:

i think the answer there lies with the fact that there are not a great many seaman on the canals, however lots of boaters, some who may undertstand seamanship principles and many who do not!

(saying that I have been caught out by leaving a fender down when getting under way in a hurry!!)

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Dharl said:

i think the answer there lies with the fact that there are not a great many seaman on the canals, however lots of boaters, some who may undertstand seamanship principles and many who do not!

(saying that I have been caught out by leaving a fender down when getting under way in a hurry!!)

But given that you must have had to get steam up first, there was surely an opportunity to raise the odd fender .......... (or perhaps you just had a small shovel!)

5 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

But given that you must have had to get steam up first, there was surely an opportunity to raise the odd fender .......... (or perhaps you just had a small shovel!)

yep...but clue was in me saying getting underway in a hurry (trying to get the dog out of the cut / neighbours boat / just being awkward etc) which is why i missed the oppotunity.     Normally corrected by putting Mrs Dharl on the helm so i can have a stroll down the cabin top and rectify it before losing too much proffesional standing ;-)

14 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Not necessary to get steam up on his boat! :icecream:

Howard

• Greenie 1

On 25/10/2019 at 18:49, Sea Dog said:

It does seem to be a rule of thumb that the amount of useful and affordable items on sale is in inverse proportion to the overall size of the premises.

On 25/10/2019 at 08:51, XJW said:

Overplating gone wrong, the boat had been on hardstanding for a few years before being refloated and on it's way down the W&B with new owners. No fenders down, just a very wide boat! 

Must have been a wide boat to start with. A typical 6ft 10in modern(ish) narrow boat could have full overplating on the sides and still fit through any narrow lock without fenders down  (except perhaps Hurleston).

Ďo we know who built it?