Beta gear box 260

bigcol

Featured Posts

It seems that now the Beta engine is installed and running.

the prop L/R hand, is opposite to the 260 gear box.

beta have confirm that the forward and reverse can be switched round just by changing the linkage on the control lever.

the above seems strange to me, cheaper that changing the prop, or gear box lol

any tech information would be gratefully received.

thankyou in advance

col 

Its that way with most gearboxes, they are a standard box for both left and right hand props it makes sense. We had one spare with the Princess that we could use on either engine wether the left or right hand prop was connected.

35 minutes ago, bigcol said:

beta have confirm that the forward and reverse can be switched round just by changing the linkage on the control lever.

thankyou in advance

col 

My PRM workshop manual :

The pictures have not copied and the forum does not allows Pdf's to be attached.

image.png.7f83df9950e417a88d8a0ccbc21e538d.png

11 hours ago, bigcol said:

thankyou in advance

col 

The problem with running many older designs of gearbox in reverse was that ahead just revolved a a great lump of mechanism carried on ball bearing while reverse used sun and planet gears running on plain bearings for reverse. The lubrication of the planet wheels tended to be suspect and there were several gears so if run for long periods in reverse the wear and gear noise was excessive. Hence the need for handed gearboxes or reduction boxes.

The hydraulic PRMs are a very different beast using single helical gears all of which run on ball or roller bearings with no sun or planet gears. In fact they are much like a cut down car gearbox mechanism inside. Lubrication is not such an important point so splash from the gears does nicely. he only thing about running what is nominally reverse as ahead gear is that the nominal reverse uses a small idler gear and that means slightly different sized main gears  when compared with the nominal ahead ones. This results in a small difference between the nominal shed and nominal astern reduction ratios. I doubt you will notice the diffidence PRM are correct, just change the gear linkage in the Morse control to the other side of the spindle..