Best for engine degreasing prior to repaint?

frangar

Featured Posts

Im looking to tart up the JP over the winter and wondering if anyone has a miracle spray or liquid for cleaning and degreasing the engine prior to painting.... in the past I used a Rustoleum spray that you then just wiped or washed off....it went on a foam and was quite effective but they seem to have stopped doing it although they do other degreasers.

It would be ideal if it had a low VOC so i don't end up with a load of explosive fumes in the bilge but I realise that might be asking a fair bit. 

I also don't want it to leave a residue so I can put the engine paint on with minimal prep so I think that rules out stuff like Gunk etc.

I await the panels thoughts!

I recently tried WD40 Degreaser (one of their newer products).  It did the job, but so did paraffin the previous time.  I would always opt for solvent based products because I can't comprehend covering the engine in water based products, surely it creates rust? 

I can't comment on whether anything is compatible with painting as this is a "dark art".  I'm sure the painting experts will be along shortly to offer their advice.

6 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

I recently tried WD40 Degreaser (one of their newer products).  It did the job, but so did paraffin the previous time.  I would always opt for solvent based products because I can't comprehend covering the engine in water based products, surely it creates rust? 

I can't comment on whether anything is compatible with painting as this is a "dark art".  I'm sure the painting experts will be along shortly to offer their advice.

Every car, motorbike and tractor engine gets wet without much of a problem